Old 07-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #1

Exclamation Total newbie in Washington State

My wife just retired and we decided for a number of reasons that we wanted to travel in the US and decided a fifth wheel was better than the 20' pop up we had. So we found our 2013 Forest River 32RL.

I have never pulled a whale before (35', 5 tons), thus I call it a Silver Orca and am a bit nervous as my daily driver is a 2001 VW Beetle diesel, ... well and our Ford F-350 Superduty Crewcab 7.1L SRW truck.

When not on the road, it will be parked under cover on 20 acres near Lake Roosevelt in Washinton State.

My biggest worry, today, is height. It is 12' 7" high and it struck me (in the middle of the night) that on our recent trip to Montana that I drove through a bridge with a 11' 4" clearance! I made note of it because the canopy on my truck is too tall to fit in our garage.

Does this happen a lot? How do I find the clearance ahead of time?

As I told my brother, I can't turn on a dime, it takes at least a quarter, a quarter acre.

Any help would be appreciated.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum from upstate NY. Like you I had concerns when it comes to height, ours is 12' 11". I purchased a motor carriers road atlas ( used by semi drivers)and keep it in the truck, it makes for good reading the night before you head out just to be sure your route doesn't have any "can openers" on it. Enjoy the new 5er, God Bless.
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #3

Another option is the Garmin RV 760LMT Portable GPS Navigator - it has options to enter your RV length/height to be used in determining routes.
Most every road I've been on in the PNW are traveled by log trucks so I'm OK, but I'm also only a smidge over 11'6".

Welcome from (currently) Montana.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #4

Congrats, we have a 5er 2013 FR 32SRV sport Toy hauler...34.6" long, 13 ' high. I bought a Truckers Atlas and in the index it list all the low over passes by state, its up to date and when we plan our routes I just go to the atlas to get the info, I love the new technology but have more of a piece of mine with old school on this particular subject.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #5

Thank you, Otegoans, OldGal3, and Bikersarge;

We have 2 iPhones and 2 iPad Pro's so I got the AllStays Apps recommended in the Newbies YouTube video in this forum which includes height warnings.

But, I will place an order for the Trucker's manual.

Technology is wonderful but until we have 4G-24/7/365.25 (4g connection, 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year including leap year) I will have a published paper back up to rely on.

Now to worry about gross vehicle weight, CGVW... what were those initials again. Go power/stop power stuff.

I do know we are not taking it "home" on Whidbey Island until I have hours behind the wheel. One 6 percent grade for 6 miles and one 5-6 percent grade for 6.5 miles. I have driven the route six or eight times and my wife gets white knuckled with no load.

I don't but then I tend to slow at the last second. I saw a motor home while driving home last week that changed my mind. Smoke boiling out of wheel wells, almost in my lane swerving, etc. I was trying to review my out of date EMT-A protocol and keep my eyes on the road.

Nope, not my idea of a good ride.

Again, thanks.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #6

Might want to check out lowclearances.com
They sell a package that works with your GPS or Google navigation. I use it and like it.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
Might want to check out lowclearances.com
They sell a package that works with your GPS or Google navigation. I use it and like it.
thanks for the link - that will/should enhance my GPS's ability to make me aware of problems down the road. BTW - I don't follow the GPS blindly, it's a tool just like a paper map.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:41 AM   #8

I am s truck driver by occupation.
My g p s let's me imput the height of my vehicle so it will avoid low underpasses.

If I have to ignore the suggested route it will give me a heads up about low bridge clearances long before I get to them.

I expect if you can change your g p s from car to truck you would have the height option to set in there. Hint set it up for a couple inches more than you actually are.
vmfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGal3 View Post
thanks for the link - that will/should enhance my GPS's ability to make me aware of problems down the road. BTW - I don't follow the GPS blindly, it's a tool just like a paper map.
That's a good way to use one. I'm the same way.

The low clearance POIs will obviously show up while driving but like you say the best time to make use of them is during route planning before setting out.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #10

Saw your post about the CGVW. All the weight calculations do get a little overwhelming. On Trailer Life magazines website you can do all the weight calculations with their printable forms and they explain all the abbreviations! Have Fun!!
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:04 PM   #11

Smile

Hello from a fellow Washingtonian. We live south of you, little town of Toledo, about 30-40 minutes south of Olympia. Just purchased a 2017 crusader 340 5th wheel a couple months ago and only had it out a couple times, short trips just to get to know it. We are real happy with it and are looking fotward to some extended trips. I bought the garmin rv 760lmt gps a couple years back and out of curiosity set the settings for a height that would be way to tall for any overpass on I-5. Drove down freeway and did NOT get any warnings about low over passes. Point is don't rely on gps 100%. Enjoy your new purchase and if ever driving down I-5 give a wave as you pass. Eldon
eldonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:29 PM   #12

Total newbie in Washington State

Thanks, Otegoans. Feeling a little less anxious. Maybe the info... maybe the rum and coke.

EldonJ, thanks for the shout out/welcome. We are picking up, our 2013 Wildcat Sterling next Saturday. Our first 5er. As soon as I can make sure we can get it onto our property in Rice, we will invite you over for a stay. No dump... yet, no wate... yet but DW just retired and we intend to use it as a jump point vs our Whidbey Island place. [$65 ferry] So, don't look for us soon but let us know if you are open for an invite Early September as we may morph onto snow birds. [Looking embarrassed.] Pretty much have a house sitting gig in mid-October in N. AZ near Ft. Mohave.

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:38 PM   #13
Site Team

Welcome from Camano Island
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:42 PM   #14

Hello...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Welcome from Camano Island
Thanks. How do you deal with the Ferry? <Sticker Shock>
Old 07-23-2017, 11:46 PM   #15

Ya keep us in mind for a future date. We are both retired but my 94 year old mother is living with us so we have to make arraignments with my sister to watch her while we are gone. Sometimes takes a little arraigning. You will enjoy your. 5er. We went south to California and the across to Zion national park and back in April this year before we bought our new trailer and had a great time. Eldon
eldonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:50 PM   #16

Duh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
Thanks. How do you deal with the Ferry? <Sticker Shock>
DW reminds me, you don't have a ferry. Just the bridge from the mainland. We are on SOUTH Whidbey Island so Ferry or 100 MILE drive.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:08 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
DW reminds me, you don't have a ferry. Just the bridge from the mainland. We are on SOUTH Whidbey Island so Ferry or 100 MILE drive.
Yeah, I was wondering what you meant.
Having a bridge instead of a ferry, was one of the big reasons we bought on Camano.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:30 AM   #18

Welcome from WA.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:30 AM   #19

Welcome to the forum from Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Congrats on your new rig.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #20

Big1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Welcome from WA.
Thanks, what part?

Tags
newbie, washington