Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #1

Trip to Yellowstone

I recently picked up my 2018 Sunseeker 2850SLE and I知 planning on a trip to Yellowstone NP in August. One section of my route puts me on US16 between Buffalo, WY and Worland, WY. Can anyone give me any pointers on this leg of my journey? Not being familiar with the area would like some advice from you who have been there. Thanks and I知 really enjoying this Forum!!
Jswood49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswood49 View Post
I recently picked up my 2018 Sunseeker 2850SLE and I知 planning on a trip to Yellowstone NP in August. One section of my route puts me on US16 between Buffalo, WY and Worland, WY. Can anyone give me any pointers on this leg of my journey? Not being familiar with the area would like some advice from you who have been there. Thanks and I知 really enjoying this Forum!!
Just drove 14 between Shell and Dayton today from Yellowstone to keystone SD...very rough. Your route is a bit different so at least here is a shot. I had planned to go around using 90 but DW wanted the view and Google said it was faster....not true. Not going to lie not sure if I would do it again or not just yet. It was doable but nailbiting for me. Your route does not look a lot better. Not sure about construction for you but this is what I went through on 14.

1. 14 is heavy construction up top...12 miles of NO road. Basically took the trailer off roading through a construction zone. Take your route or 90 around if you don't want to deal with it. There are 3-4 sections of one lane roads so be patient. We waited up to 30min at one section 5-10 at others. Put it in park and set your e-brake. Don't sit on the trailer brakes at these stops. When you do go through the no road parts 1st gear less than 15MPH no braking as much as possible.

2. 8% grades on the east side for about 20ish miles WITHOUT A BREAK. I kept it in first on my 16 F150 EB and 25MPH for just about an hour. If I got over 30MPH I would brake hard for short times to get below 25 and start again.

3. I pulled off when possible to let others pass but the pullouts are all gravel so be picky and make them wait on you to be safe. If you pull off and had to come to a complete stop let your brakes cool again before taking off.

4. Pulling up is long. I did not have heat issues but still pulled over to let the truck get back to temp. This was good to also rest my nerves a bit as well.

5. There is a brake check point before you descend the east side of 14 and you are required to stop. I did, checked my brakes and they were warm so I let them cool and headed out afterwards. I did not see one for the west side.

6. Maybe just today but it was windy as heck out at the bottom east side today. 20-30MPH crosswinds blowing all over the place. Make sure sway control is tight...very tight.

7. I dumped all spare water trash tanks etc just to be as light as possible coming down.

8. Where it says bump they are not messing around. Slow to 15MPH or less. I hit one at 25 and thought I was going to lose something. Stuff is all over in storage compartments.

BTW the east entrance seemed pretty easy in Yellowstone by comparison with maybe 6% grades and lower speed limits.
Fishing bridge is also under heavy construction and is all gravel now as well.
I heard today a Fisher opened up in tetons (yikes was there yesterday) and parts are closed down there as a result.
Avoid the west side of the north loop as well. 20min construction delays for the next few years. Look at main gate for addition updates and closures like inspiration point[emoji20].

RVTripwizard has a beta section that let's you view the grade of your route. Suggest paying for it to help plan routing. Both sides of the bighorn mtns were off the chart compared to other parts of my trip. Here is the gradient for your route. 30 miles and 5000ft for both routes it looks like with many grades over 7%

Good luck, enjoy the trip, be safe!Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180718-233925_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	180288

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Oh yea... see my thread on propane as well since you are coming from Alabama it may be useful for you to know in advance as well. Hoping someone can answer it for both of us.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
We went To/From Buffalo along 16 with a 2006 Lexington E450, if you are comfortable with using the transmission to slow you on downhill grades it's not too bad. The key is don't overheat your brakes and take your time. The drive is very beautiful (but I did not look away from the road very often).

Warning sign along Route 16 East into Buffalo, Wyoming from Bighorn National Forrest by cdrdwd, on Flickr

Full Trip: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdrdwd...57668265484464
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #4

16 is a pretty easy drive. You will have no issues.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #5

dbledan's post is very accurate-we did that route about 3 weeks ago...

With gas Ram 2500 & 8000 lb. TT, going East out of Yellowstone through Greybull we came down the steep mountain pass into Dayton. I locked it into 2nd or even 1st for many sections & pulled-off to cool the brakes which allowed us to watch some guys hang-gliding off a cliff... Prior to that the dirt-road construction area was VERY rough & popped our (locked) fridge open, spilling pancake syrup all-over the floor... Not happy about the rough road... You really cannot go faster than 15 mph without shaking your RV apart... Even though traffic was very light, the construction crew made us wait about 15 minutes at each of a couple spots while they moved equipment around...

I was a little nervous because I had just installed (DIY) new axle/brake/leaf spring assemblies before our trip out West... Last year I damaged an axle spindle on a short trip & decided to replace all axle/brake/leaf springs with new/surplus (complete) assembles that were only $240 each at a MI surplus store. The new axles were 5200 lbs. vs. 4400 & the new brakes were 12" vs. 10". I also replaced stock axle grease with better high temp grease... Previously I installed a new Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller & replaced my stock Ram calipers/rotors/brakes with high performance ones - so my combined braking is superb now vs. prior setup with stock 2011 Ram controller & stock TV/TT brakes...

Surprising our Ram 2500 w/gas 5.7 Hemi did fine pulling our 8000 lb. TT (15,000 lb. GCVW) up & down the mountain passes. When it required dropping to 2nd gear, I really did not want to go faster anyway & the other vehicles, especially gas motorhomes, were not going faster... I had also installed a performance muffler, so with new axles I averaged 9 mpg heading West (with a tailwind pushing) & 8 mpg heading home East into a headwind...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote