Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #1

Truck Tires & Rear Kitchens

So...an RV friend says I need to change my F150 tires to ones that start with "E" because regular truck tires won't stand up to the loads of a 5th wheel RV. Do you agree?? Question two: same friend says not to buy a 5th wheel with a rear kitchen because of the rear sway and the rear of the RV gets more up and down movement causing things to shake loose. Comments? Thanks, I'm new at this and have never had a 5th wheel...or any RV unit.
Buddy231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy231 View Post
So...an RV friend says I need to change my F150 tires to ones that start with "E" because regular truck tires won't stand up to the loads of a 5th wheel RV. Do you agree?? Question two: same friend says not to buy a 5th wheel with a rear kitchen because of the rear sway and the rear of the RV gets more up and down movement causing things to shake loose. Comments? Thanks, I'm new at this and have never had a 5th wheel...or any RV unit.
There may be some misunderstandings here on your Tow Vehicle tires. I think your friend may have been referring to a Load Range E (which is 10 ply rated) tire. The tire size will not start with an E.........but either a P (passenger) or LT (light truck). When you get to the LT designation, you may then see tires in a Load Range C (6 ply), D (8 ply), E (10 ply), or higher. Your Load Range/Ply Rating letter designation will not be in your tire size but placed somewhere else on the tire.

I personally don't know the ratings of your truck or trailer, but it seems like a F-150 would be too light a truck for a fifth-wheel.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy231 View Post
Your friend is right on the truck tires and completely out to lunch on the rear kitchen 5er. We have the 2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS and it tows and rides good. Leave stuff on the counter and it stays there.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #4

We are on our second rear kitchen with no issues. I can leave the coffee maker on the counter while traveling it has not moved more than and inch or two.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I personally don't know the ratings of your truck or trailer, but it seems like a F-150 would be too light a truck for a fifth-wheel.
We do just fine with our Chevy 1500 Ext. Cab and the 8528RKWS.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Always Learning

Buddy231- there are differing opinions on fifth wheels that are 1/2-ton towable. Some people believe that you should stick to the published ratings for your truck (GVWR/gross vehicle weight rating, specifically) as well as axle and tire ratings. Others believe differently and believe that some ratings can be exceeded while others can't.

If you're going to stay within all ratings, then many fifth wheels will cause you to exceed your truck's maximum carrying capacity.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #7

Don't tow a 5th-wheel with a half-ton truck.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote