Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2016, 08:11 PM   #1

Warranty Work?

I just purchased a brand new 2017 Forest River 3011ds. Can I get my warranty work done at my local RV shop which is a Forest River Dealer or do I have to take it back from where I purchased it? Thank you in advance for the advice!!
Westbound40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound40 View Post
I just purchased a brand new 2017 Forest River 3011ds. Can I get my warranty work done at my local RV shop which is a Forest River Dealer or do I have to take it back from where I purchased it? Thank you in advance for the advice!!
Go ask them. Some will work on any unit, may put you at the end of the list. Others refuse to work on units they did not sell. Probably will have better luck if you take it to the selling dealer.

Unfortunately the RV industry IS NOT like the automotive industry where you can take it any dealer.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Many dealers will not work on units they didn't sell.
This is common throughout the RV industry.
As was said, ask the local dealer. If they will, expect to be at the end of the line.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #4

Welcome from SW Ohio ! Enjoy your RV !
Old 12-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #5

We have never had a problem getting warranty work done anywhere in the western US (haven't tried in the east). We prefer smaller, certified independents so the repair time is shorter. We have never run into the 'common' problem of dealers not working on your rig because you didn't buy it from them, so to us, that is a myth. Enjoy your new RV!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #6

Not a myth here in Ohio, I could not get any other Forest River dealer to work on mine except the dealer I bought it from. Two of them flat out told me, you didn't buy it here so we won't do warranty work on it. Funny thing is they were dealers farther away from me ten the one I bought from. The only reason I tried to go to them was because my dealer was so back logged..
Old 12-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #7
Site Team

Not a myth in California either.
I bought my Rockwood Roo from a Midwest dealer and all 3 local Rockwood Roo dealers refused to do the warranty work.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 12-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #8

It's funny, but we had never even heard of dealers refusing to do warranty work from anybody we have ever met, or any campground discussions anywhere. The only place we have ever heard it is here at FRF.

So it must happen, maybe to only certain product lines? If I had three dealers refuse warranty work I would be selling my rig and getting something else. We have had warranty work done for our SOB and our Wildcat in at least 5 different states. Never a problem. Guess we are lucky or dealers like Wildcats?
Old 12-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #9
Site Team

If you had been on other RV forums, like RV.net, you would have read even more such posts/threads.
You would've read that the same thing happens to owners of Jayco, Winnebago, Heartland, Thor, KZ and many other brands.

It's an RV industry issue.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If you had been on other RV forums, like RV.net, you would have read even more such posts/threads.
You would've read that the same thing happens to owners of Jayco, Winnebago, Heartland, Thor, KZ and many other brands.

It's an RV industry issue.
Maybe, but I'm saying that I have never experienced it and no one I know has run into it and between all of us we have a lot of new rig experience. So I don't think it is all that common. I think it's more of a fear tactic used by those who feel you should buy local. I have heard of dealers refusing to work on FR brands that they don't sell, and that makes sense to me. We have used our FR Wildcat warranty and are still using our extended warranty (runs out in Feb) at dealers who sell Wildcats and independents. Never even a comment about where we bought it. But apparently you were not so fortunate.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #11

I was turned away by a nearby dealer when they were really busy at the start of the season and the CW where I bought it gave me 6 weeks time estimate. Fixed it myself, it was a plumbing thing. Mid-year, an AC unit failed and I went back to the local guy who could get me in the next week for the AC and even did a recall fix for me. I think it depends on their workload. Yes, it is an interesting business for sure.
Tractor Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:48 PM   #12

Guess we have been very lucky in all our travels in Canada and the United States! Anytime we have had a problem (and we have had more than our share), we have not encountered a problem getting a dealer (even non FR) to help us out & cost has been very reasonable. Just hope that continues over our years of travel to come!
janice parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:00 PM   #13
Oklahoma Proud

My buddy, who is a co-owner of the dealership we use, told me they were to busy too work on any non-customer warranty work.
They sell more higher end 5ers like lifestyles, drv, big horn and such but they also have a few FR lines.
They have always took good care of us on both the 5ers we have ordered from them!
If i did buy from someone else, i wouldn't expect them (the dealership we have currently been using) to work on it under warranty. But they might since I've used them in the past.
But at this point i don't think there is anything they can do, that i cant.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #14
Oklahoma Proud

Double post
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:09 PM   #15

Call the factory and get an authorization to have a mobile repair service do the work. You may have to pay up front and submit the bill for a reimbursement. Should not be a problem if have gotten an authorization ahead of time..Some mobile technicians will also bill directly..Depending on what's wrong with it, generic items like A/C, fridge and so on can be repaired under warranty by any authorized service center for that product.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #16

Not uncommon at all

I wish there was a disclosure in large print telling any prospective purchaser that warranty work is not guaranteed to be done anywhere. The selling dealer may be more likely to do that for you, but I don't think even that is guaranteed. I don't think this is some scare tactic being promoted by dealers. In my view this a real situation experienced by many purchasers.

This, along with the generally poor quality of the RV's being mass produced is why new purchasers need to think long and hard before spending their hard earned dollars.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
I wish there was a disclosure in large print telling any prospective purchaser that warranty work is not guaranteed to be done anywhere. The selling dealer may be more likely to do that for you, but I don't think even that is guaranteed. I don't think this is some scare tactic being promoted by dealers. In my view this a real situation experienced by many purchasers.

This, along with the generally poor quality of the RV's being mass produced is why new purchasers need to think long and hard before spending their hard earned dollars.
I don't think my Cedar Creek is a poor quality product at all. Very satisfied with it for the money I spent. I've had others that were a lot worse.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
I wish there was a disclosure in large print telling any prospective purchaser that warranty work is not guaranteed to be done anywhere.
In my area, only one of 5 FR local dealers would do warranty work on units they did not sell. But that is not uncommon. Lawn mowers, tractors, chain saws, leaf blowers, etc., are often not provided any service, warranty or not, unless purchased at the same dealership.

Lawn care, farming, and RVs are all seasonal. No one likely to be concerned about their RV refrigerator not working while it is stored away winterized. Few are concerned that their lawn mower doesn't start when there is a foot of snow on the ground. But, when the time comes for their use, everybody wants them to be repaired right now, all at the same time. It makes good sense that the dealerships make a top priority on serving their current loyal clients instead of providing warranty service to someone who has in the past, and will remain likely to, shop around and buy elsewhere else.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #19

Interesting comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velosprout View Post
In my area, only one of 5 FR local dealers would do warranty work on units they did not sell. But that is not uncommon. Lawn mowers, tractors, chain saws, leaf blowers, etc., are often not provided any service, warranty or not, unless purchased at the same dealership.

Lawn care, farming, and RVs are all seasonal. No one likely to be concerned about their RV refrigerator not working while it is stored away winterized. Few are concerned that their lawn mower doesn't start when there is a foot of snow on the ground. But, when the time comes for their use, everybody wants them to be repaired right now, all at the same time. It makes good sense that the dealerships make a top priority on serving their current loyal clients instead of providing warranty service to someone who has in the past, and will remain likely to, shop around and buy elsewhere else.
Never really thought of a $100K motorhome in the same breath as a $500 lawn mower, but OK.

I've learned my lesson. You cannot expect the level of quality on a MH/TT that I would even expect with a Honda lawnmower, motorcycle or vehicle. You cannot expect anyone but the selling dealer to do warranty work (and maybe not even them) and you cannot expect the work to be done properly or in a reasonable length of time. These vehicles are "custom made" by underpaid piece work folks with little training, supervision or quality control. You buy one, you take your chances. Maybe you'll get a decent one, maybe you won't. Hopefully you are handy with tools, you don't mind fixing it yourself, as it's all part of the "adventure" of owning an RV.

I really enjoy RV'ing, but I greatly dislike the negatives associated with owning one.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #20

Only owned it 7 months, and only had it to a dealer for repair once (pretty major stuff), but the dealer never asked where I got it, and had zero interest in that. They just logged it in and worked on it. I DID talk to factory myself to ensure they'd be covering the work, which I think helped. But the local dealer never balked, never questioned, where I got it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty