Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #1

Wax/polish for gelcoat and graphics

Hi, I am new to the site and am looking for some help with wax/polish for gelcoat and graphics. I recently sold my 2011 Rockwood signature ultra lite 8288ws and bought a 2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra lite 8289ws. I used to use Nu-finish polish for years on my vehicles and Rv but wanted to seal the outside of my new unit but have seen pros and cons regarding the graphics. I have been looking at Meguiar's 20 sealant and Meguiar's 50 Marine/rv polish. Meguiar's rep says neither is recommended for the graphics but I have read that others have used both products with huge success, can anyone re-assure me or point me in the right direction?
hagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #2

Welcome to the FR board!

Knowing this board like I think I do, you'll end up with 3-4 pages of advise!! LOL
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:18 PM   #3
WFD

The Meguiar's #50 is a great product, I have used it for years and really like it. But like any other wax product, I don't apply it to the graphics. Waxes tend to dry them out. Keep in mind say they have with no bad effects, but the effects won't be seen the first year and likely not even the second year. Bottom line...best to protect them by some other means. Many on here will tell you to use Aerospace 303...it's a UV inhibitor, and works very well on graphics as well as all things rubber and plastic. Many use it tires to protect them. I apply it to my soft tonneau cover as well. Best price seems to be on Amazon.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:36 AM   #4

At the FR rally in Goshen, Todd Breden of the Prime Time division (he was introduced as the most knowledgeable FR person on paint and fiberglass) gave a talk on cleaning / waxing, etc. He recommended both Mothers and Maguires products. He commented that bang for the buck, Maguires is the better of the two (Mothers is slightly better but costs significantly more). Said Maguires Cleaner/Wax could be used on all parts of a RV that is fiberglass or clear coat painted. Generally, any product that is safe for modern autos is acceptable. The big warning provided was that under no circumstances would he recommend using Dawn dish soap. Said he had seen tests where Dawn literally broke down fiberglass.
Also suggested have your trailer detailed ONCE by a professional. Then if you keep it clean and put a good coat of wax on once or twice a year, you should never have to use them again. As the pro is working - ask questions on products and procedures.
My problem is - I have no place where I can wash my rig with good water, Todd recommended using Maguires Ultimate Waterless Wash/Wax or the Ultimate Wash/Wax Anywhere. Should last about a month.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. SailorSam, did Todd Breden mention anything about how to maintain the vinyl graphics or if any of the Meguiar's products are safe to put on, such as #50 Marine/RV?
hagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #6

We use 303 Aerospace protectant .
Old 08-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagler View Post
Thanks for the replies. SailorSam, did Todd Breden mention anything about how to maintain the vinyl graphics or if any of the Meguiar's products are safe to put on, such as #50 Marine/RV?
He indicated that the polymer based products were safe for the entire rig. Products that harm the graphics have petroleum distillates in them. That includes some carnauba waxes.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wax