Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizARdman15 View Post
I have stated many times I never wanted an RV, but you do crazy things to spend time with your kids. So, now my resort is on wheels!!

I am a total newbie. I had never even been in an RV of any type until a few weeks ago. My wife and kids love camping, but none of us liked tents with the uncertainty of SC weather.

So, the family and I went shopping and fell in love with the Grey Wolf 26DBH.

I am so lost, I don't even know where to begin.

I went thru the dealer prep program, but they must have been speaking Greek. I didn't know what to ask because I didn't know what was happening.

I have solar, it was 90 degrees and sunny here, but there was no charge. I don't even know what I did wrong.

I want to set up a power pole for hookup, but can't decide where in the yard to put the trailer.

In the mean time, I want to use a generator so that we can just get in it to clean it without heat stroke and get ready to camp. Was thinking inverter generator, but I don't want to go too small. I have had good luck with a Harbor Freight 2000W inverter, but don't know if I should risk the 3500W for 30A power or get something larger/more power/reliability.

Anyway, I am glad to be here now and right proud of my family's purchase.

So, anyway, howdy from SC
When I got my first RV almost half a century a go I too was like a ball in tall grass ------ LOST.

For my first trip I tagged along with a friend who'd been RV'ing for years. He showed me all the tricks in setting up from leveling on the site to hooking up the sewer hose.

During the first weekend outing it was not just fun but "school time" too.

A lot has changed since the 70's but there's nothing like having someone experienced to help you through that first trip. Having an experienced friend or neighbor come over to your house and walking you through the things you don't understand can be a big help too.

Just sharing.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

For my first trip I tagged along with a friend who'd been RV'ing for years. He showed me all the tricks in setting up from leveling on the site to hooking up the sewer hose.

During the first weekend outing it was not just fun but "school time" too.
2X this ^^^^
Don't know if you have a friend, relative or neighbor with an RV (don't worry about matching yours for now, a lot of the basic systems are similar enough), but find one and offer to pay their site fees for a weekend at a VERY local campground. Just like this Forum, the vast majority of RVers will jump at the opportunity to help you learn (whether you want the advice or not, in some situations!! ). You can watch all the YouTube videos you want and ask all the questions you want, but until you get out and do it, you won't be building the confidence that comes from understanding all of your RV's systems (and quirks . . . oh, the quirks!! )
Asking for advice on this Forum is great, but for the very new, it can be like drinking from a firehose - not to mention, as someone else posted, you don't know what you don't know . . . yet.
So search out an "RV Mentor", load up the rig, and the cooler (mentors don't work for free!!), and get out there and camp!
Old 06-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #23
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!
Spend some time reading in these subjects:
The 12 volt side of life
TPMS
Black & Gray tank management
An EMS for your TT's power
WDH
Tongue Weight and vehicle Payload, GCWR
Old 06-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #24

Quote:
My plan is to put in an RV pole somewhere in my yard. It's just that I haven't figured out where on my 21 ac(realistically within a 3 ac area for ease of power) of yard I want to permanently park it.

I am a bit of a jack of all trades(master of none!LOL) and know how to run a line, but I only want to do it once.

As far as the generator, my goal is to do limited camping without facilities. My main reason for it is to use the RV as my hurricane home in case of power outage. I have enough gas storage capability to run for an extended period. I do; however, like the idea of dual fuel option.

I was specifically warned against using household electric to power the A/C, although they said it would be possible for short periods.

As far as the solar, the panel on the roof has 50W on it, so I "assume" that is its power rating. I can spell assume and I havent read the manual for it, so I am not sure.

According to posted above, I need to leave the red power key on unless for long term storage. I am guessing that in that case, I would be disconnecting the battery anyway, correct?
Can I make a suggestion? If you are going to go to the trouble of installing an RV post that you make it a 50 amp service (240 volts). I know you anticipate why would you want to do that - but eventually there may come a time that you wish you had when you get that 5th wheel that needs 50 amp.

I had always used a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter to connect to house power. But when I bought my 5th wheel I had 50 amp service install on the side of my garage. I still have my 30 amp TT which I use a dog bone adapter to connect the trailer when I have it home to the 50 amp service.

For the minimal additional cost, I don't think you will ever regret installing the 50 amp over the 30 amp. You can either make it a dual outlet post (50 & 30) or just a single (50 only). A lot easier to install it now then later.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #25

Quote:
My main reason for it is to use the RV as my hurricane home in case of power outage. I have enough gas storage capability to run for an extended period. I do; however, like the idea of dual fuel option.
I am guessing that in that case, I would be disconnecting the battery anyway, correct?
The fact that you want to use it for you 'hurricane home' was my main reason for suggesting dual fuel. I've watched friends search frantically for gas to power their generator after a hurricane when they were without power for over their three day supply of gas. I haven't bought one yet, but most operate on the 20 lb bottles we use for our grill.

I don't know if that red button totally disconnects the battery with your rig. Most of us either disconnect the negative cable or get battery disconnect switch mounted on the battery to preserve the battery in storage.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Excellent info.

Followup stupid question.

Being in an RV, where do you put the generator since you aren’t supposed to be too close to living quarters. How do you cover it in case of rain?

With My home back up generator , I can just put it under the porch to plug in to my switch box. I would think that you need the awning is a bad idea being on the door side
I had the same concern. So back in the early 2000's I made a three sided open dog house out of 1/4" sheets of 4 x 8 foot plywood, some 1 x 2's (for strength) and (4) hinges to protect my generator from snow and rain when deer hunting. I made it where the roof is not attached and the whole thing can be folded flat. I originally used thin nails to attach the 1 x 2's to the sheets of plywood but have since added screws as over the years the nails tended to back out.

The first picture is from 2005 at deer camp. I placed the generator on the side of that TT whereas with my latest TT I place it in the back away from the unit (plug is in back of this TT). The others pics where taken today. Hopefully they can give you an idea of how it was constructed. A couple of things I really like about it is that it collapses real easy for traveling and to refuel or start the generator the roof comes off quick and easily. The roof is only held on to the sides by it's weight and the one 1 x 2 at the top edge. Looking at it you can probably tell it is in need of a little TLC. I only use it basically for one week a year in Nov or when needed to connect the generator at home during a power outage. But after having made it nearly 20 years ago, it was a great investment of my time and it has held up well. I'm glad I took time to make it way back when.

I originally made it for a used 2000 Watt Sears generator. In the first picture is my 3500 watt generator and the house could have been a tad bigger or possibly vents on the side where the exhaust is. I tend to now angle the generator so the exhaust is not blowing directly on the side.

When at camp it runs all night so I can use my CPAP and you can hardly hear the generator at all. The dog house deadens the noise quite a bit. Others that camp in this area with us have smaller generators or inverters that tend to run all night too. We tend to fill them up before bed and they run 8-10 hours (minimum draw).

I don't have a diagram of it, but if someone is really really interested I could probably make you one of some sorts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB160003 (2).JPG
Views:	32
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	230685   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200604_111438.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	230686   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200604_111834.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	230688   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200604_111930.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	230689  

2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Old 06-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #27

I failed to mention in my post above, I have not used or taken the dog house when traveling in my 5th wheel. Reason I still have TT is DW said no way was the new 5er going to deer camp.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:10 PM   #28

So much help

I will be reading up more this evening.

Ever have something fall into your lap?

I had been discussing getting the dual fuel today, but I had a Predator 3500 fall in my lap for a great deal today, NIB.

So, I guess I will be breaking that in tonight/tomorrow.

I'll be checking in and certainly be asking more stupid questions!!
lizARdman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:38 AM   #29

Can’t seem to find the answer for this

I am sure I am over thinking it.

What is the proper procedure for plugging in to shore or generator power?

Do I need to turn off the switch inside the RV?
Do I just plug into the generator while it’s running?(I know you don’t start or shut them down plugged in)
Basically, is there a certain order that is recommended or right/wrong?
lizARdman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:04 PM   #30

Quote:
I am sure I am over thinking it.

What is the proper procedure for plugging in to shore or generator power?

Do I need to turn off the switch inside the RV?
Do I just plug into the generator while it’s running?(I know you don’t start or shut them down plugged in)
Basically, is there a certain order that is recommended or right/wrong?
From my experience, my suggestions would be:

1. No need to turn off any switch inside the RV, but do turn off the switch at the pedestal before connecting/disconnecting to shore power. You also want to check the pedestal to make sure it is up to snuff before connecting your power cord. This can be accomplished with most surge protectors/EMS out there and is the first connection you use in the line, unless you have a built-in EMS system. If you don't have one try Amazon, Camping World or an RV dealer. Surge Guard and Progressive Industries are a couple of the more common protectors out on the market.

2. I plug into the generator/inverter before starting it and stop the generator/inverter before unplugging. I have never added a surge protector to my generator/inverter but I suppose you could.

This is to prevent the possibility of any arcing when connecting/disconnecting. Hope this helps.