Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2020, 09:37 PM   #1

What have I done

I have stated many times I never wanted an RV, but you do crazy things to spend time with your kids. So, now my resort is on wheels!!

I am a total newbie. I had never even been in an RV of any type until a few weeks ago. My wife and kids love camping, but none of us liked tents with the uncertainty of SC weather.

So, the family and I went shopping and fell in love with the Grey Wolf 26DBH.

I am so lost, I don't even know where to begin.

I went thru the dealer prep program, but they must have been speaking Greek. I didn't know what to ask because I didn't know what was happening.

I have solar, it was 90 degrees and sunny here, but there was no charge. I don't even know what I did wrong.

I want to set up a power pole for hookup, but can't decide where in the yard to put the trailer.

In the mean time, I want to use a generator so that we can just get in it to clean it without heat stroke and get ready to camp. Was thinking inverter generator, but I don't want to go too small. I have had good luck with a Harbor Freight 2000W inverter, but don't know if I should risk the 3500W for 30A power or get something larger/more power/reliability.

Anyway, I am glad to be here now and right proud of my family's purchase.

So, anyway, howdy from SC
lizARdman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Don't get the Predator 2000w inverter generator, it's too loud for that size of an inverter generator. A Champion, i-power, Wen, Generac and tons of other brands, make 2000w inverter generators with noise levels much closer to Honda.
If you must have a Predator, get the 3500w version. Noise levels close to the Honda 3000i.
Are you saying the trailer has solar panels on the roof or that it's Solar Ready?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:22 PM   #3

Solar factory installed.

Please don't ask the specifics of the system as I do not know them.

All I really remember is that the solar could basically power most of the trailer functions except those needing 120v, even the fridge.

Found out the hard way that the pull out kill switch had to remain inserted. Trailer would not power up until I plugged it back in. That may have been my problem all along. Am I supposed to leave the unit turned on all day?

I know that there are a lot of things I must learn that are new to me and that they will become easier with time, but I am a bit overwhelmed by everything right now.

The family is happy and excited to start camping though.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:25 PM   #4

sorry, meant to add

By generator, I was meaning that I was leaning toward buying a Predator 3500 inverter for this if it is well recommended.

I already have a 2000W inverter that I am quite happy with.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:37 PM   #5

Am I supposed to leave the unit turned on all day?

Yes, unless putting the RV away for an extended period. If RV is connected to AC leave the kill switch alone, no need to cut power to the unit. By the way, the kill switch normally does not disconnect power to everything, smoke and CO2 alarms normally stay powered, etc.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:00 PM   #6

You may want 2 of the 2000w and a parallel kit to run the AC or if you dont mind lifting get a 3200w+ generator. You could run on one 2000w but that is all you will run after you install an easystart for an extra 350. If you have the HF 2000w already just get a second one.

As for the power pole make sure it is 120v if you have a 30A trailer as some electricians and many buddies wire them wrong. No double breaks for 30A.

Good luck and happy camping!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizARdman15 View Post
I have stated many times I never wanted an RV, but you do crazy things to spend time with your kids. So, now my resort is on wheels!!

I am a total newbie. I had never even been in an RV of any type until a few weeks ago. My wife and kids love camping, but none of us liked tents with the uncertainty of SC weather.

So, the family and I went shopping and fell in love with the Grey Wolf 26DBH.

I am so lost, I don't even know where to begin.

I went thru the dealer prep program, but they must have been speaking Greek. I didn't know what to ask because I didn't know what was happening.

I have solar, it was 90 degrees and sunny here, but there was no charge. I don't even know what I did wrong.

I want to set up a power pole for hookup, but can't decide where in the yard to put the trailer.

In the mean time, I want to use a generator so that we can just get in it to clean it without heat stroke and get ready to camp. Was thinking inverter generator, but I don't want to go too small. I have had good luck with a Harbor Freight 2000W inverter, but don't know if I should risk the 3500W for 30A power or get something larger/more power/reliability.

Anyway, I am glad to be here now and right proud of my family's purchase.

So, anyway, howdy from SC
Is it at your house? You can get a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter and using a decent sized extension cord plug it into a house outlet. This will allow you to run the air and the converter, Do not try running the microwave. I used to do that all the time. Get the 30amp circuit wired as that will be the best on the long run.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:37 PM   #8

the 3500 Predator would work fine to power the trailer, but you would be re-fueling quite often. there are other 3500 watt inverter/generators out there that can use propane (or gasoline) for extended run times using a 40# or even a larger tank. Too many brands/models to list them and adding new ones all the time. DO your research then buy one.

However, unless you plan to boondock ( no power hookups) your money will be better spent getting an electrician to hook you up a power pole with 30 AMP 120 VOLT power. MAKE SURE you explain it is for an RV that uses 120 VOLTS as many times an electrician just assumes 240 VOLT which will blow all of your trailer appliances when you plug into the pole.

If you do plan to boondock, plan on upgrading your battery(s) as often clouds or trees will limit your recharge time on your solar.

There are dozens of resources and threads on solar/batteries/boondocing which is a whole topic to itself.

Keep asking questions and you will learn.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Solar factory installed.

Please don't ask the specifics of the system as I do not know them.

All I really remember is that the solar could basically power most of the trailer functions except those needing 120v, even the fridge.

Found out the hard way that the pull out kill switch had to remain inserted. Trailer would not power up until I plugged it back in. That may have been my problem all along. Am I supposed to leave the unit turned on all day?

I know that there are a lot of things I must learn that are new to me and that they will become easier with time, but I am a bit overwhelmed by everything right now.

The family is happy and excited to start camping though.
Do you see solar panels mounted on the roof? If yes, then they have a cable run to somewhere. If not panels, then you are just solar ready meaning the wires are installed but nothing connected.

If you see the panel look in a storage bay for a solar controller. Should be close to battery or converter.

And, welcome to the forum from the Space Coast (a SpaceX rocket just rumbled off a little while ago).

We can help you and you are out of the first stage of learning of I don’t Know because I don’t know to the second stage of learning which is I Know I don’t know so ask away...

Old 06-03-2020, 11:42 PM   #10

Here is a link to the adapter to run off a house outlet. You can get them most anywhere. ...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-WORKS...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 06-04-2020, 01:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Don't get the Predator 2000w inverter generator, it's too loud for that size of an inverter generator. A Champion, i-power, Wen, Generac and tons of other brands, make 2000w inverter generators with noise levels much closer to Honda.
If you must have a Predator, get the 3500w version. Noise levels close to the Honda 3000i.
Are you saying the trailer has solar panels on the roof or that it's Solar Ready?
I would have to argue with you about the HF Predator 2000. I have had my Predator side by side with my brothers Honda. Almost exactly the same noise level, very close.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:26 AM   #12

Congratulations on your new rig and welcome to the forum!

It is a bit intimidating at first to own an rv. There are a couple of sites we've used to 'fill in the blanks' in our education. KOA has a text based primer here:
Ready For That First Camping Trip? - RV Information (RV Maintenance)
Also on You Tube, there is an RV Education 101 series.

When you look for that generator, look for one that's under 68 db at 50 feet to comply with National Park standards. They also make dual fuel ones propane/gas that give you an option for fuel.

You can plug into a house outlet with the adapter recommended and a heavy duty extension cord, but you may or may not be able to run your a/c.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:38 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
I would have to argue with you about the HF Predator 2000. I have had my Predator side by side with my brothers Honda. Almost exactly the same noise level, very close.
i own a Honda 2000i which is rated at 54db.

Every Harbor Freight documentation i've seen, states the Predator 2000w is rated at 65db. I yet to see any HF documentation with a lower db rating. It's still rated 65db in their stores.

My open-frame contractor style Champion 3500w/4000w generator is ALSO rated at 65db.

HF rates its 3500w version at a much quieter db rating.

I'd be more than happy, to alter my opinion, if someone can produce HF documentation with a lower dp rating for the 2000w.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-04-2020, 05:02 AM   #14

Welcome from New Jersey as you can see,there are a lot of knowledgeable people here all willing to help.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:19 AM   #15

Really appreciate the input

My plan is to put in an RV pole somewhere in my yard. It's just that I haven't figured out where on my 21 ac(realistically within a 3 ac area for ease of power) of yard I want to permanently park it.

I am a bit of a jack of all trades(master of none!LOL) and know how to run a line, but I only want to do it once.

As far as the generator, my goal is to do limited camping without facilities. My main reason for it is to use the RV as my hurricane home in case of power outage. I have enough gas storage capability to run for an extended period. I do; however, like the idea of dual fuel option.

I was specifically warned against using household electric to power the A/C, although they said it would be possible for short periods.

As far as the solar, the panel on the roof has 50W on it, so I "assume" that is its power rating. I can spell assume and I havent read the manual for it, so I am not sure.

According to posted above, I need to leave the red power key on unless for long term storage. I am guessing that in that case, I would be disconnecting the battery anyway, correct?
Old 06-04-2020, 05:34 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:

I was specifically warned against using household electric to power the A/C, although they said it would be possible for short periods.

As far as the solar, the panel on the roof has 50W on it, so I "assume" that is its power rating. I can spell assume and I havent read the manual for it, so I am not sure.
First, who are "they", the dealer? That's not true. I've run the a/c on 20amp house outlet, on both my trailers.

Second, a 50 watt paneling do much other than a trickle charge.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:30 AM   #17

Yes, the "they" is the dealer. Basically, if the A/C is damaged by running a drop cord, it would not be covered by warranty.

Also, I understand the solar operates a lot on the RV. lights, slide, awning, fridge, radio, and I am sure more.

As posted above, what is a good dual fuel generator to use?
I found 2 Champions that are inverters. One is open frame and has slightly more power, but more noise(64db). The other an enclosed case one that runs 2790-3060 startup on propane, but is quieter(59). Is that enough power?? Isn't that yielding less than 30 amp?
Old 06-04-2020, 08:44 AM   #18

Wattage Chart
Motorhome 5th Wheel and Camp Trailer Roof Top Air Conditioners
Watts Required for start up Average wattage once running
7000 btu RV air conditioner 1700 600
10,000 btu RV air conditioner 2000 700
13,500 btu RV air conditioner 2750 1250
15,000 btu RV air conditioner 3500 1500

Your startup current is high but running wattage is well within a short run ( 25 feet or less + your trailer cord) of 10 Ga HD extension cord. I run my 13.5 BTU on a 25 foot + 20 ft of trailer plug) extension all the time.

Adding a hard start cap kit to the AC helps with that startup current need...
https://youtu.be/oHgXGlYNYkQ

Get the 30 A to 15 A dogbone adapter at Walmart or amazone and run your AC all you want off household 20AMP fused current.

The Champion generators are good choices for dual fuel.

Stay away from open-frame gennys as they are too loud for campground use.
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #19

Excellent info.

Followup stupid question.

Being in an RV, where do you put the generator since you aren’t supposed to be too close to living quarters. How do you cover it in case of rain?

With My home back up generator , I can just put it under the porch to plug in to my switch box. I would think that you need the awning is a bad idea being on the door side
Old 06-04-2020, 10:27 AM   #20
Just as confused as you

Welcome from south central Wisconsin.

There are many intelligent people here willing to help. No matter how dumb you think a question is will be answered here. Since you admit you haven't a clue to start with, here is a link to a thread written by another member which is a good place to start. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ts-157524.html
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote