Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #41
NELA

While I have yet to drive while towing, I'm very involved in the hook up. DH and I both have neck injuries so we've had to learn some tricks in order to handle the WD arms, etc.

I've been scolded a couple of times...very gently I might add....for walking around the TV out of his line of mirror vision. Scared him and embarrassed me for making such a stupid mistake.

He's pretty experienced with towing. For me it's a very steep learning curve.

I'll get there. We're a *team*!

P.S. When he bought the new F150 two years ago and I saw all the gadgets I told him "I'm not smart enough to drive that thing!"

That goes double for the new F250. As I said earlier I might need a booster seat for it! That thing is a Bodaciously Beautiful Black BEAST!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #42

I am a 52 yr old woman who has been towing by myself for 30+ years. I move my trailer every week, mainly negotiating the streets of the Los Angeles area.
I love driving and being able to get up and go whenever I want!
My biggest beef is when some well-intentioned man comes up and starts trying to give me advice on how to back in a space, or worse yet stands next to my window blocking my mirror giving step-by-step instructions! Please guys, wait a while and see if the "little lady driving that perty rig" is capable before offering up advice!! I don't want to be rude, but get the heck outta my way! LOL!

Ladies! Learn to drive and all that comes with it! It's fun and liberating!
Now if I could just find a guy who can do all the mods I want done, life would be great!
Old 07-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #43

No way would I let him drive - did once and he scared the bejesus out of me. Never again (but we mostly leave the hubbys at home anyway) - us gals go all over the place and have a grand time.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #44

My Mrs isn't opposed to hauling and usually offers to drive a shift... as long as it's forward. It's always me backing the boat down the boat launch too and her going for the joy ride... backing up a trailer doesn't seem to be anything she wants to sign up for... going forward, no problem! (I'm sure she'd do fine if she'd just try)
Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #45
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

ms amy hooked up the 5th wheel yesterday and went thru the steps under my careful eye then she drove into town and did some backing to get refreshed for thursday as she and the dd and ds are going camping one day early this weekend.
I will meet up with them friday after work .
Ms amy was wanting to get fimiliarized for when we head to Goshen as she driving there....
BTW she did great !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #46
Site Team

No!. Even though we talk about it sometimes when I'm tired, she has never towed any of our campers. I did let her tow my boat once, in front of me and the camper, to a nearby lake. 45 miles. Only 4 turns. Hit two curbs. While she is a pretty good driver, she's a little too assertive. Wants to jump in line too quickly, follow too closely, turn too sharply, eat a sandwich while putting on makeup, etc. (I think that is called farding?)
But we've worked out a deal. I drive when hooked up. She drives when unhooked. Gives me a break and she doesn't want to tow the camper anyway.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
eat a sandwich while putting on makeup, etc. (I think that is called farding?)
That's hilarious. I had never heard that term before and looked it up.....and sure enough, it's what you stated. I'll be using it from now on.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #48
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

That's hilarious. I had never heard that term before and looked it up.....and sure enough, it's what you stated. I'll be using it from now on.
X2!!!!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #49
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post

X2!!!!
I don't do that but I see others do it a lot!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #50
Site Team

Farding

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Yeah, I raised two daughters who taught me that, and a lot of other things I didn't know. I never did learn the trick of making toilet tissue dissappear so fast tho. What are they teaching in schools these days? lol.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote