Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
TRR

Windjammer 3065 Ham Astronomy

Hello all,

This is Terry and Barbara. We normally travel with our daughter Sarah Lynn and the family pets. Tripp, the dog, an African Grey parrot, a Quaker parrot, and a Canary.

Barbara and Sarah Lynn are anthropologists and most of our trips have a theme. We average about 45 days a year in the trailer and routinely travel from West Palm Beach to the Western states. Last year we did American archaeological sites and state and national parks visiting 31 states, to include FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, MD, DE, NJ, NY, TN, AL, MS, LA, AR, OK, TX, CO, NM, AZ, NV, CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, SD, NE, KS, IA, MO and the DC area.

I like to do star parties in the state parks and precisely measure the time it takes an asteroid to block the light from a star (occultation) allowing me to measure a chord of the width of an asteroid improving our knowledge of the location, composition, shape and size of the asteroid. It is fun chasing shadows.

As you might guess we are not new to trailering, but I sure feel like I am new. Every trailer has been a learning adventure. Our latest trailer is a Rockwood Windjammer 3065. I sure hope we find the three slides trouble free. We have had it to one state park for a shakedown and are getting ready to take it to Easton, Maryland for an extended stay. I use ham radio to stay in contact with life long friends and normally maintain a wireless LAN network in the tow vehicle and trailer during travels. I am a bit of a communications nut, well all things technical and enjoy being a "hotspot" when in remote sites. I listen to AM radio late at night, and talk to the world via ham radio when the bands are open. We use VHF/UHF for local communications when out of cellular range.

Our daughter is considering a career in state or national parks and we are considering spending summers as educational advisors doing star parties and educational programs. We look forward to meeting many of you over the next decade.

The Reddings
Terry, Barbara and family
TRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the Windjammer 3065.
I'm sitting in our 3065 right now enjoying the A/C on a hot day here in northern Michigan. We are camped in a nice little place called Sugar Springs near the town of Gladwin.
Your communications expertise will be welcomed here and I'm sure you'll get your brain picked from time to time. Hopefully you'll be able to pick up a few ideas and tips from the other Forest River owners that frequent this forum.
Have Fun!!
Stevea1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
astronomy, ham radio, windjammer