Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2021, 05:01 PM   #1

Woo hoo! We have selected our new 5th wheel!

Hello all! Looked at plenty...researched plenty...wife and I disagreed on nearly all of them. Finally the winner was a clear choice for BOTH of us. We chose the '21 Cedar Creek 311RL The CC 291RW was very cool and my choice with the drop down tv, but counter space was hurting. The 311RL had all the boxes checked and we came to a happy and mutual agreement. Folks, at 35', this 5th wheel rocks! We got it with the slide toppers and 4 camera system. Still in route from Forest River, but it should land very soon. Night and day upgrade from our (disaster) Grand Design Momentum 350M.
icunjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:15 PM   #2

That's interesting to hear considering so many people say Grand Design has the best quality.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:28 PM   #3

I like your choice. Having the entertainment across from the theater seating seems much more practical than having the tv at 90 degrees to the theater seats.
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:34 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
That's interesting to hear considering so many people say Grand Design has the best quality.
Like all brands, right- there are great units and there are turds.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:43 PM   #5

Grand Design fails.

Yes! We were lead to believe that! Lets start by our very first trip in our then new 2017 Grand Design 350M. Drove from Seattle to Sturgis and set up to shore power. 92 degrees out. Turn on the AC's...3 of them. Hmmmn, no AC, just blowing air. After hours of reading my manual, checking down my own attempt to get the AC to cool...sweating like a stuck pig...cussing up a storm...climbing up on the roof and taking the cover off of one of the AC units...my wife in tears. We call Grand Design. We check down again. No go, no AC. We get a mobile tech that came out to the site. Now day 2 of no AC and pissed. Make a long story short, mobile tech was dumb founded and offered to install a AC unit to get us some comfort! WTH!!! I could see our warranty go bye, bye. So, we had electric fans all over the place just to move the hot air. 10 days of this in the summer of South Dakota. Once we got the rv back home we contacted the dealership to bring in our "NEW" 5th wheel. After 3 months of no use of our rv, we get a call from the dealership. All AC units are working as they should...after discovering ALL 3 AC UNITS were wired backwards! I call the regional boss and we had a spirited discussion. He was downplaying the entire ordeal. I said, "How many units at the factory went out wired wrong by "Jimmy"? Surely, not just mine! I could see 1 AC unit wired wrong, but all 3??? So I asked, "Jimmy" the AC guy at the factory signed off on dozens or more! So, I expected a big thank you from GD and appology or something lol. Nothing...zip. We had issues with our battery draining while in tow and our backup camera was constantly on! Crazy, very frustrating ownership. We got rid of it late last year. Happy to see it gone. Not trying to be a fuss butt here and talking bad about a different rv, but this incident was a serious issue. All rvs will have issues. But, we are super excited about our new CC 311RL.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:35 PM   #6

We got the 291RW. Our tank sensors always read 0%. Do yours? I can't find anything in the forum about that.
borr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:15 PM   #7

Uh oh...sorry to hear that. Our 311RL RV build is complete, but has not yet been delivered to the dealership. We hope to get the word very soon. Little stuff like that sensor is irritating especially in a new rig. But they say, the first year of ownership is the fix the problems year. Good luck.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by icunjl View Post
Uh oh...sorry to hear that. Our 311RL RV build is complete, but has not yet been delivered to the dealership. We hope to get the word very soon. Little stuff like that sensor is irritating especially in a new rig. But they say, the first year of ownership is the fix the problems year. Good luck.
Make sure you hook it up and test all the air conditioners before you go on a trip.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:29 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by icunjl View Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your up coming purchase. Make sure to do a good PDI and make them fix all before you leave with the camper. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-52
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:36 PM   #10

On that Grand Design with the 3 bad AC's. We picked it up on a November day, near Seattle. We all tested the AC's in 40 degree weather. They felt cold on that day and blew cold air! Lol
Old 05-24-2021, 07:28 PM   #11

Congrats on your new fifth wheel. You can slam the GD now but you don't even have your new FW yet so how do you know it will be better. Like someone else said every brand has their lemons. Hoping you don't get another lemon but it is still possible with as fast as manufacturers are pumping out trailers. I love my GD Reflection and may buy another. I'm also looking at a FW. Good luck with your new one.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:01 PM   #12

Ha! You work for Grand Design? Slam? I posted a real incident that cost us our entire vacation, time and stress on the very first use of the RV! Wouldn't you be upset??? 90 degree South Dakota weather! We had every right to be beyond upset, while you sit at your computer and school me on RV issues. Of course ALL RV's have quality control issues. Glad you have a great RV of whatever make. We are all outdoors folks here, Hundreds of brands out there. We actually chose our Cedar Creek by layout and the fact we had it customized with 10 options to our liking. Grand Design did not offer what we wanted as well as many other brands out there. The Cedar Creek factory did! And we are hoping as anyone to not get that lemon. Thanks for your input.

Tags
5th wheel, select, wheel