Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #1

Wrapping up 1st year of RVing

Hello from St. Louis. After many years of tent camping, my wife and I decided we couldn't take sleeping on the ground any longer and we bought our first trailer, a Rockwood Roo 21SS. We absolutely love it and have taken it out 8 times since we got it in early June. We are quite disappointed that the season is close to over and we will have to put the trailer in storage for winter.

I have done quite a bit of lurking on the site, reading the extremely helpful posts, and decided it is time to participate.

I just hope I don't get any lectures from the self proclaimed tow police about my set up. The Xterra pulls the trailer beautifully and we don't have any issues at all.

Thanks to all who contribute with the great help and advice! I appreciate the insight and tips I have gathered from you.
CFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the "Roo Kroo!!!

if the 21SS had more counterspace, we would have bought it but that was #1 thing for the DW.

just a note, though. want to make sure you know that the GVWR of the 21SS is quite a bit over your 5000lbs. tow max.
you really need to watch how you load the trailer. i have a feeling you're at or over the max of the Xterra.
your 21SS actually weighs more than my 23SS. i love the Xterra and wanted one but looking at the numbers, i decided it wasn't enough to pull our trailer over all the mountains we're surrounded by.

Oh, and by the way, Go Cards!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #3

Thanks bikendan!

We are aware that the GVWR is well above our rating, but we are not coming anywhere near that number. I have put the rig on the scales at our local truck stop with our standard weekend camping gear and the fresh and grey tanks empty and the black tank 1/2 full, and the actual weight was 4,984 so we had 16 pounds to spare!

We definitely wouldn't be pulling it through the mountains of California, but it is very comfortable to drive through the cornfields of the midwest. I am even getting a reasonable 10 MPG.
CFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #4

I'm glad the first year went well for you and hope it is the first of many which will follow.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote