Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #1

Changing Cummins air cleaner

I have a 2000 Reflection with a cummins 5.9L turbo. I want to change the air filter myself, it looks easy, but don't want to get in over my head. Has any one ever changed one of these canisters themselves ? This model has a sealed filter element within a canister.
davidvavro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #2

I have a similar Reflection mh and have removed the air filter canister to clean it. It does involve the removal of 3-4 large clamps and the disconnection of both the intake and exhaust components from the rubber connector hoses (the 6" couplers at both ends). It appears that you can't simply replace the filter but must replace the filter/canister component. Not a difficult task if you take your time.
Do you know where to get the filter/canister part? And how much?
msham87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:46 AM   #3

Thanks for the info, 4-5 clamps, sounds and looks simple. Napa said they have it for approx. $125, do you have a cheaper alternative?

Plus, I am a little disappointed in the power from my Cummins 5.9 turbo. I have had the engine & turbo checked, changed the fuel/water filter, put in fuel octane boost with every fill-up. The air filter indicator is at approx. 50%, but has 28k miles on it and was changed last in 2006. So this is my final attempt to get more power.

I have OK power on the highways when I can get a running start on the big hills, but when I am on the back roads and have a slow start, it really struggles to maintain speed going up. I plan on pulling a toad this year, so this lack of power really concerns me. Any suggestions Thanks
davidvavro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #4

I just ordered the air filter/canister unit from Spartan for my reflection 327-$110 and they are oem parts. Go to rvchassisparts.com and look for air filter part # 0420-HH2. That's the part # I got from Spartan.
While I don't pull a toad, I have had no issues with power unless I'm going up a long grade. I do put an additive in my fuel as well. I had my unit weighed and it came in at 20000 lbs.
While I'm not a diesel expert, were the fuel injectors checked?
Do you have the 4 speed Allison 1000 series transmission? Has it been serviced lately?
Keep me posted on your progress. Thanks
msham87 is offline   Reply With Quote