Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #1

Charging your house batteries

I have a 2000 Reflection 327 and have a question about charging my house batteries. Currently they charge when plugged into shore power and when the generator is on. My starter batteries only charge when the engine is running but not when I am attached to shore power. Is this the normal arrangement for the Reflection? My RV mechanic is telling me that my house batteries should also charge when the engine is running. Can anyone help?
msham87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Not a motor home guy, but I think the battery control center in your motor home is supposed to charge both house and starter batteries.

Here is the wiring diagram from the Georgetown.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Georgetown-Battery Connect Center.pdf (318.6 KB, 267 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #3

On our Sunseeker the starting battery does not charge when plugged in or using generator, only the house batteries. The house batteries are wired to the alternator so they do get charged when RV is running.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #4

Thanks for both responses. My mechanic is checking the battery control center. He agrees that the starter batteries should not be charged by shore power. But as you both have stated, he believes the house batteries should be charged with the alternator when the engine is running. Will keep you posted.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #5

So, the end result of the battery issue was successful. Between some faulty wiring in the battery control center and a defective battery isolator, I now have house and starter batteries that get charged when the engine is running (charging being done by the alternator) and house and starter batteries that get charged when hooked up to shore power. A successful conclusion!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
dr ron

How did you get house and starter to charge on shore power.
That's not supposed to happen.That's what all mechanics tell me.
I think they should.Did you wire them up differently?
dr ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #7

Battery control diagram

Thanks for the battery center control diagram . I am working a house batteries drain problem and that should help me to find it. If anyone has any input on what to look for let me know . I have a 2009 Georgetown GTX toy hauler.
dklbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
dr ron

MSHAM87
Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr ron
Look up Intellic battery control, plus SDC make auto control for parallel charging of house and chsssi batteries. Been around for years.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
dr ron

I have the Inteli power PD9160A
It's not charging the starter batteries.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr ron
I have the Inteli power PD9160A
It's not charging the starter batteries.
I will have to check with my mechanic but it's my understanding that between the battery control center and the battery isolator, they are able to detect charge levels in each of the house batteries and the starter batteries and direct charging from the alternator or shore power accordingly. When I'm next at my motor home, I'll check the model of the control center.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by msham87 View Post
I will have to check with my mechanic but it's my understanding that between the battery control center and the battery isolator, they are able to detect charge levels in each of the house batteries and the starter batteries and direct charging from the alternator or shore power accordingly. When I'm next at my motor home, I'll check the model of the control center.
Could be it needs a useful upgrade. The new centers detect when the primary set has reached safe volt level then cuts in the other battery set. Both from genset/shorepower or alternator. I installed a voltmeter panel to monitor shore A/C, chassis and coach power supplies real time.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
dr ron

i'VE HAD IT ON SHORE POWER FOR 2 WEEKS AND IT SEEMS AFTER TESTING THE VOLTAGE LAST WEEKEND , THAT BOTH BATTERIES ARE STAYING CHARGED. HOWEVER MY GENERATOR GOES CLIC,CLICK CLICK AND WON'T START
Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr ron View Post
i'VE HAD IT ON SHORE POWER FOR 2 WEEKS AND IT SEEMS AFTER TESTING THE VOLTAGE LAST WEEKEND , THAT BOTH BATTERIES ARE STAYING CHARGED. HOWEVER MY GENERATOR GOES CLICK,CLICK CLICK AND WON'T START

When you say you tested the voltage at the battery, what was the voltage?
Can you test the voltage at the generator starter?
What is the voltage when cranking? (attempting to crank)

12 volts is NOT fully charged.
12.7 volts no load is charged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charge Chart.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	22028  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #15

Quote:
i'VE HAD IT ON SHORE POWER FOR 2 WEEKS AND IT SEEMS AFTER TESTING THE VOLTAGE LAST WEEKEND , THAT BOTH BATTERIES ARE STAYING CHARGED. HOWEVER MY GENERATOR GOES CLIC,CLICK CLICK AND WON'T START
Based on the year build of your unit, I have a hunch all the wiring is original. I would start at the battery + and - terminals and remove and clean with a terminal cleaning brush. Continue all the way to the generator conections both sides. The batteries would be dead without charge after two weeks and using them for lights and appliances. A good bet is the connections look good, but you can"t see them where it counts! This maintenance should be done even if the batteries need replacing per Herks advice.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #16

The Battery Control Center in our 2011 Sunseeker has an Intellitec Bi-Directional Relay Delay (aka, BIRD) that senses the voltage of the coach batteries and the chassis battery. When the coach system (through the convertor) or the chassis system (alternator) voltage is high enough to indicate that there is excess power available, after a time delay the "BIRD" will energize a relay to coneect the two systems, thereby letting either one charge the other. If the BIRD senses the voltage of the charging system drop too low, it will drop out the relay to prevent draining the batteries of both systems.

The same relay is used by the coach's emergency start switch to temporarily connect the coach batteries to the chassis battery to (hopefully) use them to start the chassis engine if its battery is dead.

Here's a link to the manual for the one that seems to be commonly used in RV's and boats. The one in our Sunseeker is actually a different part number with a fifth terminal. I haven't found the manual for our BIRD yet.

http://www.dodgenmobiletech.com/sites/default/files/Intellitec%20Bi-Directional%20Isolator%20Relay%20Delay.pdf
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #17

I have a friend with 2004 Fleetwood Discovery 39s with a similar problem charging the battery banks. This particular unit has an inverter and the owner's manual references a converter too. Her house bats die after a day running lights, etc. when connected to shore power or generator. Is it customary for a motorhome of this type to have both and inverter and a converter? She says she can't find the converter. I've searched the web for ans and haven't pinned it down yet. Any ideas?

thanks
RONXS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONXS69 View Post
I have a friend with 2004 Fleetwood Discovery 39s with a similar problem charging the battery banks. This particular unit has an inverter and the owner's manual references a converter too. Her house bats die after a day running lights, etc. when connected to shore power or generator. Is it customary for a motorhome of this type to have both and inverter and a converter? She says she can't find the converter. I've searched the web for ans and haven't pinned it down yet. Any ideas?

thanks
Sure lots of high end coaches have both. The converter is the basic component and furnishs all DC when on shorepower while also keeping the batteries topped up. The inverter is just the opposite. On more rare conditions, like underway it uses coach batteries and "inverts" the 12 volts DC to a rippled 120 AC to operate the TV or other small loads without generator or shore power. Sounds like ya need to find the converter, its got a fuse/breaker problem or its worn out.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Your generator gets starting power from your house batteries. If your GEN goes click click click it still may be low battery voltage or a problem with the starter. Let us know what you find out is the problem.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #20

Thanks for your reply VinceU! I've been away from the forum for a few weeks due to the holidays. Incidently, Happy New Year to everyone!! I worked on the 39s Discovery or several hours one saturday over the weekend and found several issues. Apparently the house batteries (4 x 6 volts) were replaced and reconnected incorrectly which blew the 300 amp may line fuse to the inverter. I replaced the fuse and rewired the batteries according to the Fleetwod schematics. I could not find a converter anywhere on this coach nor on the schematics and therefor conclude the unit only has an inverter/charger. Everything seemed to work fine, house batteries charging from inverter (on shore power) and engine batteries charging from the alternator. However, now that the coach has been connected to shore power over the holidays the house batteries are slowly discharging. The inverter is on. I am now thinking the problem is within the isolator/emergency start solenoid which switches/reverses the batteries (house becomes starting batteries) in the event the starting batteries are too low to start the engine. I can hear the solenoid click but even though the dash switch is in the normal position (engine batteries), all the charging current from the inverter is going to the engine batteries and no the house batteries. Has anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks
RONXS69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery