Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #1

Hoping to spark this forum

I'm a proud new owner of a 2000 Forest River Reflections DP! Love it love it love it! It' my first motorhome and it's been GREAT. At least the 2 weeks I've got it

brian
Prepilot_3ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Congrats on your new coach and to FRF. If there's anything we can help with just ask. There's plenty of very knowledgeable people here sharing ideas and supporting each other.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #3

A big welcome to the forums. Congratulations on the "new to you" rig. Post pictures if you have any, we would love to see it.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #4

It's been a rough start

3 weeks ago despite the age, my RV looked brand new. Each time I've been out either I've broken something or something major has broken.

1st trip, I backed over a black rock in the dark. Tore up the left underside pretty good. Nothing huge, just enough that I notice.

2nd trip, clipped something in my storage area. Nice loooong scratch down the left side. Toilet broke. I replaced it myself though... not too bad.

3rd trip, the one I'm currently on. Clipped something ELSE in the storage area (got a new spot on the way out... it WAS a little tight). about an hour ago, a freak/random wind gust tore my awning off. Everyone around me was fine though. When the repair service came out to fix it, the tech was removing the broken remnants of my awning and lost his grip, and the awning, unwound, cut his hand open and broke his wrist. literally.

I'm pretty sure the devil lives in my RV and it wants to kill me... Has anyone else has this type of luck with their RVs?

Brian
Old 02-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #5

Some of us didn't see a large rock next to their site when pulling in one afternoon in broad daylight and ripped the sewer system off the trailer. Won't mention any names though.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
Some of us didn't see a large rock next to their site when pulling in one afternoon in broad daylight and ripped the sewer system off the trailer. Won't mention any names though.
BuuwHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!!! I love hearing stories like this. Makes me feel so much better about my mishaps. I pulled a travel trailer for almost 4 years. No problems, not one. I get this RV and it's been bad luck.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 02-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I had the misfortune of having a campground employee guide me into a water faucet attached to a 4x4 sticking out of the ground. I was watching him and apparently he wasn't watching anything. Motorhome had 1600 miles on it. Damaged 5 baggage doors, over $5000 it get them replaced and painted. Campground split the cost of my deductible.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #8

Through example my father taught me to always unplug the RV from the outlet in the garage before you drive away. He pulled over a complete roll away tool chest and scattered tools everywhere as well as ripping the outlet off the wall. I was about 12 at the time and thank my dad for teaching me such a valuable lesson. Always unplug the RV before you drive away.

As for the awning it is for this reason that on our old rig I would always put deflapers on it and tie it down. The one time I had not done this while the rig was parked at home next to the garage with the awning open a wind came up and managed to rip the awning away from the roller at one end for about a 4" length. Never went any further after that.

Things will get better. Hang in there.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:15 AM   #9

Learned the walk around pretty well while working on the job, the ambulances we drive are always plugged in at the station, 30 amp cord, because it is so common that the ambulance pulls away still plugged in, we have a break-away pigtail on all the trucks, about 24 inch cord remains on the truck when we forget, have to say, been doing this for 14 years and still managed to drive away plugged in about 4 weeks ago. Luckily when I am hooking the trailer up to the suburban, I don't seem to be in such a hurry. The break-away pigtail has saved us thousands....
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reflection