Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2006, 02:35 PM   #1

2003 Windsong 353DS

We have a 2003 Windsong 353DS on a Workhorse W22 chassis. We are quite satisfied overall but we did have some early teething pains.
We had a "reduced engine power" error three times during the first 1000 miles. The fourth time it was finally determined to be a loose fuse holder. The fuse holder was tightened and the error has not happened again. Once I had everything go dead, no response from anything, just like the battery had been disconnected. I found the fusible link from the battery to the fuse block was loose at the fuse block stud. Tightened the connection, no problem since. This week the instument panel will be replaced because it is getting difficult to read the message center display. All the above were fixed by Workhorse under warranty.
The roof had two water leaks. I put Eternabond tape on all the roof seams, right over the existing caulk. No leaks since. Some of the gas struts on the external compartment doors were ripping out. On the heavy doors I installed a gas strut on each side of the door. No further problems. I have had continuing problems with the seals around the two slides coming loose. I think I finally have a fix for this, will know soon.
We have installed several additional items in the motorhome. A power reel for the power cord, a 50-amp wired-in surge guard, and a autoformer. These have saved our bacon on a couple of occasions. Replaced about half the drawer slides as the ones from the factory are a joke if you place anything heavy in the drawers. Replaced the water pump with a ShurFlo 5.7. Now we get plenty of flow for taking showers. Added additional shelves in the pantry. Added speakers for the computer around the bedroom vanity. Added a in-motion satellite antenna. Removed the jackknife sofa and barrel chair and replaced with a hide-a-bed sofa and recliner.
We have almost 15,000 miles on the coach and it has been running fine. Very comfortable to live in with just the two us. We full time about seven months out of the year and the other five months we spend in Yuma, AZ. The warm weather in Yuma allows me to pamper what is left of me during the winter months.
Sterling tow bar with Unified Tow Brake
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #2

Fix for 2003 Windsong Slide Seals

I was wondering what your fix for the slide seals was. I just purchased a 2003 353 and the slide seals are pulling off the double stick tape. I was considering capturing them with screws through a thin strip of stainless steel.
mlandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:24 PM   #3

Just purchased 2003 355 model and having the seal problem also. Also wondering if anyone has pictures or floorplans of this model. The previous owner did some modifications and I'd like to know exactly what he changed and change some of it back to original.
balms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:43 AM   #4

I have some pics of a 2003 353 what specifically are you interested in?
mlandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghamblen View Post
We have a 2003 Windsong 353DS on a Workhorse W22 chassis. We are quite satisfied overall but we did have some early teething pains.
We had a "reduced engine power" error three times during the first 1000 miles. The fourth time it was finally determined to be a loose fuse holder. The fuse holder was tightened and the error has not happened again. Once I had everything go dead, no response from anything, just like the battery had been disconnected. I found the fusible link from the battery to the fuse block was loose at the fuse block stud. Tightened the connection, no problem since. This week the instument panel will be replaced because it is getting difficult to read the message center display. All the above were fixed by Workhorse under warranty.
The roof had two water leaks. I put Eternabond tape on all the roof seams, right over the existing caulk. No leaks since. Some of the gas struts on the external compartment doors were ripping out. On the heavy doors I installed a gas strut on each side of the door. No further problems. I have had continuing problems with the seals around the two slides coming loose. I think I finally have a fix for this, will know soon.
We have installed several additional items in the motorhome. A power reel for the power cord, a 50-amp wired-in surge guard, and a autoformer. These have saved our bacon on a couple of occasions. Replaced about half the drawer slides as the ones from the factory are a joke if you place anything heavy in the drawers. Replaced the water pump with a ShurFlo 5.7. Now we get plenty of flow for taking showers. Added additional shelves in the pantry. Added speakers for the computer around the bedroom vanity. Added a in-motion satellite antenna. Removed the jackknife sofa and barrel chair and replaced with a hide-a-bed sofa and recliner.
We have almost 15,000 miles on the coach and it has been running fine. Very comfortable to live in with just the two us. We full time about seven months out of the year and the other five months we spend in Yuma, AZ. The warm weather in Yuma allows me to pamper what is left of me during the winter months.
We have a 2001 Windsong that we got last year and had a great summer with it - now looking forward to this year. Can you tell me more about your intermittent power /starting problems and solutions? We have had times when ours simply wouldn't start - no power at all. Then later, no problems. One time it was "intermittent" on and off while driving making me think SOMETHING is loose. I have changed the battery and starter relay and looked closely at everything from the key inwards but don't see any smoking guns. Any suggestions? What loose fuses were you taking about?

Also, which fold-out sofa did you switch too?

Thanks.
TM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
Site Team

TM99
This thread is 12 years old.
The OP hasn't posted since 2006.

I doubt if they will answer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
windsong