Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2021, 09:14 AM   #1

12 volt Air Conditioner

Has anyone installed or replaced their AC with something like this

https://www.campervan-hq.com/collect...ir-conditioner

If you have a good solar and battery setup this seems like it makes more sense than trying to use an inverter while off grid.
But it’s expensive.
Sammici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Probably not very practical for off grid use with its 48A rating. The solar and battery capacity would not be practical for most RVs.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:45 PM   #3

With a 600 amp/hour (useable) you probably could get a half day or so on batteries (Easily done with Lithium/LiFePO4 batteries).

48 Amps at 12 volts is 576 watts. 10 hours of constant use (eg it's hot enough to not turn off) would be 480 amp/hours. It wouldn't be too hard to have enough solar to run it during the day and charge batteries while running the AC of batteries at night. 1,000 watts of solar might keep up if it isn't so hot that the AC runs constantly. 1,500 watts may be realistic.

The non-solar option could allow one to run off batteries all night, charge with generator mid morning, then likely charge again in the evening and be set for the night. Sure would beat running the generator 24x7 while off grid.

If you had some solar, say 500 watts, it would almost run the AC with full sun reducing the amount of generator time to charge the batteries before/after bed time.

It's not cheap... but there are possibilities in it.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:01 PM   #4

I’m hoping the prices will come down over time. The DW says we don’t go off grid enough to justify the expense at this time. Especially since I need more batteries!
Wondering if or when manufacturers may start incorporating just like they have with 12V refrigerators.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:33 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammici View Post
I’m hoping the prices will come down over time. The DW says we don’t go off grid enough to justify the expense at this time. Especially since I need more batteries!
Wondering if or when manufacturers may start incorporating just like they have with 12V refrigerators.
Running a 12v only fridge is WAY different than running a 12v only a/c.
Power demands are not even close to each other.
Fridges are insulated and a/c's are not.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:37 PM   #6

48 amps isn’t unreasonable in my opinion, as an inverter will pull 130 DC amps from the battery bank while running a 120-volt unit. I’d buy one if we were to decide to do more off-grid camping.
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #7
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Uhhhh.. I'm just a dumb ol' retired school teacher so bear with me here. My TT came with a 13,000BTU A/C but we opted for the 15K upgrade. On a hot day, the A/C runs continuously to keep the trailer at 78°. This 12V puppy is 9800BTUs which means I'd need two, right? I mean, you guys don't sound as if you're discussing outfitting a Class B or did I miss something?
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:48 AM   #8

If you had enough of a battery/solar system here is a 20k btu system by recpro.

https://www.recpro.com/recpro-12v-rv-air-conditioner/

I still can’t justify swapping without more batteries.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Running a 12v only fridge is WAY different than running a 12v only a/c.
Power demands are not even close to each other.
Fridges are insulated and a/c's are not.
How different? Being that the stock “juice pack” can’t even keep up with the 12v fridge, an upgrade isn’t optional.
ElMostrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 12:47 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMostrito View Post
How different? Being that the stock “juice pack” can’t even keep up with the 12v fridge, an upgrade isn’t optional.
The OP was saying that RV manufacturers should install 12v air conditioners, like they are with 12v only fridges.
Air conditioners don't retain cold air and have no insulation like fridges do.
Totally different power demands. Imagine how much battery power a 12v air conditioner would use, in 100 degree temps all day.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Totally different power demands. Imagine how much battery power a 12v air conditioner would use, in 100 degree temps all day.
If your on shore power or generator, a 12v AC would run off the converter... so no real difference when in a campground / park.

The differnce is flexability. Say it's road trip day... you wants to catch some sleep at a rest area, or a night at a boondockers welcome sight that doesn't allow generators at night. With a 480 AH (usable, which isn't unrealistic) battery bank you could run the AC the OP posted on high non stop for around 9 to 10 hours. If it is cooler and doesn't run constantly you get even more time.

I find that flexability attractive. There have been many times I've paid $30 to $50 for one quick night stop when there are free (no generator) alternatives because it is hot and I want AC.

Entry price for the flexibility is a bit high, but I would love to have the option.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:17 AM   #12
Pud

Would I have to remove the 110v cabling to old AC and where would I run the new 12v cable to in RV ?

2005 Dynaquest (compressor stopped kicking on).
Pud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
If your on shore power or generator, a 12v AC would run off the converter... so no real difference when in a campground / park.

The differnce is flexability. Say it's road trip day... you wants to catch some sleep at a rest area, or a night at a boondockers welcome sight that doesn't allow generators at night. With a 480 AH (usable, which isn't unrealistic) battery bank you could run the AC the OP posted on high non stop for around 9 to 10 hours. If it is cooler and doesn't run constantly you get even more time.

I find that flexability attractive. There have been many times I've paid $30 to $50 for one quick night stop when there are free (no generator) alternatives because it is hot and I want AC.

Entry price for the flexibility is a bit high, but I would love to have the option.
Considering the distance from the converter to the compressor, it probably would be more efficient to boost the converter output to 48V and buy a corresponding compressor. The cable required would be much smaller.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, air conditioner