Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2023, 01:12 AM   #1

2010 Cardinal 3625RT weight limit when replacing slideout sofa

A group of us have been slowly renovating a 2010 Cardinal 3625RT for the last year to be used as a new home for a friend who lost his (uninsured) home in a wildfire. So far all new paint, hardware, lights, plumbing, furniture/bed, vinyl flooring, tires/ batteries, roof, compartment locks, and residential refrigerator. Replaced the original entertainment center in the rear with a convertible sofa. Now want to build a new desk/entertainment center in the 6' section next to the pantry on the kitchen slideout. Looking for help on 2 questions. First, does anyone know the weight of the original 72" hide-a-bed sofa in this model? We don't recall exactly how it worked, but it wasn't a jackknife but maybe had an air mattress. Just remember it was heavy and filthy. The estimated weight of the new design is about 220 lbs, so hope it would be about an even swap. On the same slideout we replaced the old 8 cu ft Norcold with a 165 lb 10 cu ft residential refer so think lost weight there. Messaged FR support but NA yet. Second, what is best way to anchor the new unit to the metal studs in the back wall? Thanks for your help.
EzPz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:57 AM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread from the Modifications and Updates section to the Cardinal sub-forum since the OP is asking for model-specific information.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:28 PM   #3

Cardinal 3350 LX
We are supposed to have our luvseat replaced sometime tomorrow by our local RV repair company. I’ll watch as they remove the old one and see how they secure the new residential luvseat and get back to you.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:00 AM   #4

Thanks for your kind offer. Grateful for any info you can share. Was your old luvseat a sleeper too? In 2010 the sleepers were either jacknives or double foldouts with either
a foam or air mattress. Our old one had thick arms, solid wood framing, and heavy metal foldout mechanism, all features that added to a very hefty weight total. Today almost all OEM and aftermarket sleepers are lighter weight trifolds or jacknives. So not really comparable weight-wise. Whatever you find out will be more helpful than the reply I just got from FR:
"I don't know how much the old sofa weighs. I feel that an entertainment center and desk with your estimate of 200 lbs should be no problem. I am unaware of what the weight limits are because we don't have an established limit that I am aware of."
I have seen several posts where owners reported problems with overloading slideouts resulting in abnormal operation and strain on the motors, including one where the refer had to have a couple cases of beer removed to restore normal operation, implying a potentially small window of acceptable weight. So before building in a unit which could weigh too much, I feel I need better guidance.
Meanwhile, we are putting the design of our unit on a diet to see where we can lose 40 lbs which I feel should give a safe margin.
Your photo looks just like our 3625RT. How long have you owned it? What other mods have you done? See the remodel list in my original post and I would be glad to share our experience on any item that you're interested in. Again, thanks
EzPz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:04 PM   #5

Had the slide loveseat replaced Friday. The RV techs says it’s not secured to the floor. And sure enough, the loveseats feet were buried in the slide carpet. Old one out, new one in. Less than 30 minutes total.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardinal, slide, slideout, weight