Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 08:12 AM   #1

2012 Rockwood 8289 Mods

I didn't intend to start a new thread but had some ideas that might interest some as the previous thread was closed. I have a 2012 8289 that I pull with a Ford Eco Boost. I think it's a great unit with lots of interior space and very comfortable for extended stays. I've done several modifications that improved our comfort. My latest was to add the doors to the door side of the island like the newer models have and to add a shelf inside. This allows putting the waste paper basket out of sight and a lot more accessible storage without having to get down on your knees to get into the cabinet. Also, I added a hinged door under the bathroom cabinet to access a laundry basket. Also, a shelf behind the wardrobe slide. I shimmed under the shower door so the door didn't drag when opening or closing it. I moved the table top two inches toward the entertainment center so it wasn't so crowded on the back side. I'm planning to add eye-bolts and a spacer under the landing gear jacks with tie-downs to form an X for stability. I had purchased a tripod stabilizer but found that with the Revolution hitch, it wasn't of much value. The other things mentioned in this thread are good also, especially, replacing the original tires if they are still on the unit. I had two of those fail when the camper wasn't even a year old.
robertew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Sounds like all good mods. Nice work!

To move the table did you pull the little wooden plugs in the table leg support, loosen the screws and then re-screw the entire table a couple inches towards the entertainment center or did you loosen just the top from the upper leg support and move the top only?

I've found that a couple extra jacks in the center and BAL X-Chocks really make mine stable. I did see a fellow in a campground using a tripod stabilizer with his Revolution. He put it under the back pivot pin instead of the hitch pin. Said it worked great.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #3

I just moved the table top. I laid under it and with my trusty little impact driver unscrewed the four screws, moved the top and re-screwed it into place. I saw no reason to move the whole structure and have four lingering prints in the carpet.

Last year, I cut two 2X4s to a length and notched them half way through, and clamped them to the front of the tube in front of the axle. This year, I bought a set of those inexpensive, pyramid shaped screw jacks to put on top of blocks to do the same thing but to be more adjustable. I also have the wheel locks.

Putting the tripod under the pivot would work well also providing the legs were long enough. It really confused people when I have that hitch pushed off to the side. I'd likely trip over the tripod if it were back there but it's an idea.

Thanks.
robertew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, rockwood, modifications