Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #1

2017 Forest River Cherokee Grey Wolf 23BD Trav'ler Directv Swm

I posted an online form at Forest Rivers webpage with no reply so I thought I would see if anyone here has some input. I recently purchased the 23DB Grey Wolf and purchased a Trav'ler Direct TV dish for the roof. I have already installed a 40" Samsung smart TV and want HD satellite reception without dragging out a dish, tripod, cable and everything else. I bought the Winegard SK-SWM3 and SKA-008 TRAV'LER Mounting Plate I intend to roof mount them. My question is what sealant does Forest River recommend for my roof? Is there a recommended area on the roof? Or an area I should not use? I have been in the electronic business all my life and am very comfortable with a custom install I just want a heads up with the rubber roofing and what is under it wood wise that I will be anchoring to. When this project is complete I will upload the photo's start to finish to help the next person.
Pigspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigspinner View Post
I posted an online form at Forest Rivers webpage with no reply so I thought I would see if anyone here has some input. I recently purchased the 23DB Grey Wolf and purchased a Trav'ler Direct TV dish for the roof. I have already installed a 40" Samsung smart TV and want HD satellite reception without dragging out a dish, tripod, cable and everything else. I bought the Winegard SK-SWM3 and SKA-008 TRAV'LER Mounting Plate I intend to roof mount them. My question is what sealant does Forest River recommend for my roof? Is there a recommended area on the roof? Or an area I should not use? I have been in the electronic business all my life and am very comfortable with a custom install I just want a heads up with the rubber roofing and what is under it wood wise that I will be anchoring to. When this project is complete I will upload the photo's start to finish to help the next person.
Typically you want to use the self leveling Dicor on the roof. Some also use Eternabond Tape to also seam seal.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Typically you want to use the self leveling Dicor on the roof. Some also use Eternabond Tape to also seam seal.
I have purchased one tube of non sag dicor, but after reading and watching their video's you need to know what type of rubber roof you have TPO or EPDP. they show how to tell and I guess that is the route I will take since Forest River has not answered my question. I have set the mounting plate on the roof and found a spot that should work fine. The bow in the roof causes a gap in the mounting plate, I will bend the mounting plate over a pvc pipe to cause a flush fit and then caulk and mount it. After giving the mount time to cure I will set the dish on top and mount secure without worrying about it being flush as the mounting plate is my seal. I will caulk the gaps with the non sag dicor. After everything is installed I will apply self leveling dicor.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:34 AM   #4

Forest River replied to my online form today:

The decking on top is 5/8" thick. I would avoid installing near any attachment that is powered. Most of the wiring will be ran closer to the ceiling rather than the roof. To play it safe it would be best to use short screws when mounting.
Use standard roof sealant to seal the bracket. This can be found at any Camping World or camping store(used when performing routine maintenance on the roof).

Tags
cherokee, forest river, grey wolf