Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #1

I am going to add a second AC unit to the travel trailer in the next month (as soon as we can get out of winter and into spring in MO! They are calling for snow here on Friday!). I am looking at Dometic DuoTherm Units. The price difference is around $120.00 bucks so I might be answering my own question, but I am trying to decide between the 13.5 or the 15? I know from the factory on my models that when you add the second AC it is always a 13.5. Is there anything to be concerned about if I go bigger with the 15? I have 50Amp service already.

Note: I have a 39' park model.

Thanks Nick
Old 05-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Always Learning

Our second A/C is a 13.5k. It's in the vent in the front master bedroom. While ducted, I've never noticed an appreciable change in the rest of the camper. It's way more than enough to cool the space. (And, it's super loud.)
Old 05-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Our second A/C is a 13.5k. It's in the vent in the front master bedroom. While ducted, I've never noticed an appreciable change in the rest of the camper. It's way more than enough to cool the space. (And, it's super loud.)
Thanks for the heads up on the noise...I think I would rather deal with the noise than sweeting! Then again we had a record heat wave last year.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Always Learning

Oh, I'd get it again. :-) I need to be cool to sleep!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrboatfan View Post
I am going to add a second AC unit to the travel trailer in the next month (as soon as we can get out of winter and into spring in MO! They are calling for snow here on Friday!). I am looking at Dometic DuoTherm Units. The price difference is around $120.00 bucks so I might be answering my own question, but I am trying to decide between the 13.5 or the 15? I know from the factory on my models that when you add the second AC it is always a 13.5. Is there anything to be concerned about if I go bigger with the 15? I have 50Amp service already.

Thanks Nick
I'd go for it, better idling when caught up rather than always catching up!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrboatfan View Post

Thanks Nick
Whichever one you select (and I'm not sure what's available) it would be a good idea to get one with built-in heat pump. We have a small class C which has the 15K with build-in heat pump and it's the best thing since sliced bread!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Steve & Phyllis

You can always idle a bigger one down if it gets too cold but when you are laying there sweating as the small one almost does it the extra $125 looks like it was a good idea.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #8

I wonder why you only had one for a 39 ft RV? I have a 32 ft fiver and I got two, 15 in the living area and a 13.5 in the bedroom. I live in the gulf coast of SE Texas and it stays hot and humid for 7 months of the year. The 13.5 in the bedroom does make a lot of noise. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
I wonder why you only had one for a 39 ft RV? I have a 32 ft fiver and I got two, 15 in the living area and a 13.5 in the bedroom. I live in the gulf coast of SE Texas and it stays hot and humid for 7 months of the year. The 13.5 in the bedroom does make a lot of noise. Good Luck
Yeah, I agree, it should be standard on a park model this size or at least wired for it. I did check the roof vent, it is braced for one, but no wiring!