Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2014, 04:07 AM   #41

5" for me too. Got a metal gutter. Look for a better gutter later.

If I was going to put a 4" would use the bumper. I know all camper don't have rear bumper. I wondered about it. But that's my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
X4 on mine painted black, glossy black, and no problems with it mounted underneath. I cleaned scuffed and wiped clean with alcohol before painting.
I am in the auto collision industry and we paint plastic all the time. Almost every vehicle has painted plastic bumper covers or partials and no warpage unless it hits something
Oh and we have 100°+ temps every summer too.
How does a person go about clean scuffing a post?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #43
Oklahoma Proud

Sorry, there should have been a comma inbetween that.
But we do use a scuffing agent (kinda like gojo) along with a scotch Brite to wash the mold release of of raw plastic to prep before painting.
I just cleaned with alcohol or glass cleaner (amonia free), scuffed with a red scotch brite and then wiped it down with alcohol.
Alcohol will remove the static electricity if you wipe it off, but scrubbing or continually wiping back and forth will put static back on.
You can use an adhesion promoter, but I just shot some cheap rattle can paint on it, I dont plan on hitting it with a powerwasher or anything like that, and rock chips will happen regardless.
Good luck!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #44

I have the 5" and find the Rhino with fittings fits well. I can even fit in the 90° end piece, though I have to remove if from the hose to fit it in.
Nortie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #45

The 5" Is actually 4 3/4 X 4 3/4 OD Here's a picture of one with a vinyl gutter and elbow.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #46

CBPV,

NICELY done mod!!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #47

Exclamation Here are some pictures of my installation

I installed the fence post sleeve right to the frame with aircraft fasteners (you can see the small nuts at the top) for the hinge I used a small hinge and installed it with flush aircraft rivets, lastly I secured the door at the top with an aircraft pip pin with a small lanyard for quick access and security. I installed a door on the other side the same way for dual access just because. It works very nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140730_194125.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	59335   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140730_194302.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	59336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140730_194422.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	59337  
htorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #48

Thanks for all the good suggestions guys/gals!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:27 PM   #49

Nice job on these fencepost mods for the sewer pipe! Looks very professional.

I've now mounted my vinyl fencepost. Decided to mount it underneath the bumper instead of under the belly. Because my trailer is tan in colour, and the fencepost white, the fencepost really stood out, so I painted it tan to match the trailer, and to hopefully have less heat absorption than black. I mounted it under the bumper using metal strapping. (Note here: Not thinking, I originally used steel, ungalvanized strapping then discovered after a day or so of rain, all the visible rust. So I replaced the strapping with brown plastic-coated, galvanized strapping. )

The end result: If not a thing of beauty, it looks acceptable, and matches the trailer fairly well, and most importantly, it'll be functional.

Thanks again to everyone for pictures and advice.
Nortie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #50

I think the last post kind of answered my question, but just trying to figure out why people do this vs using the rear bumper for sewer hose storage?? Fairly new to TT's, so maybe it is that not all TTs have a 4 inch bumper??

Speaking of being new to TTs and thus new to dump stations, we got a kit with two 10-ft tube sections and a 90 degree elbow. Two questions:
1. When dumping at a dump station on your way out of the campground, do you use the 90 degree elbow or just (gently/carefully) put the end of your hose into the dump "hole"?
2. Where do you store the 90 degree elbow? Obviously won't fit into the bumper. Our TT has only one large outside storage compartment, and I really don't want to put it in there with our other "non-gross" stuff. Any creative solutions for an under-trailer storage rack/hook/container for this piece of the sewage system?

Thanks,
Brian
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #51
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortie16 View Post
I have a length of white vinyl fence post I'm going to use for my sewer hose. I'd like to paint it so it blends in better with my brown/tan trailer.

I've heard (but don't know if it's true) that painting vinyl in a dark color is not a good idea because of possible warping in the sun. Are these resistant to warpage? I certainly know, from years ago, what happens with vinyl records left in the sun, but don't know if the vinyl in these posts is different.

Would appreciate any advice concerning painting with a darker color (should I go with a lighter tan?), and what type of paint to use. Anyone painted their post in a darker color (black?)

Thanks!
Some hoses and there connections won't fit in the bumper.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #52
Toy-aholic

thus the reason for the 5x5 fence post... my Rino hose & 90 fit in it
Old 08-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
I think the last post kind of answered my question, but just trying to figure out why people do this vs using the rear bumper for sewer hose storage?? Fairly new to TT's, so maybe it is that not all TTs have a 4 inch bumper??

Speaking of being new to TTs and thus new to dump stations, we got a kit with two 10-ft tube sections and a 90 degree elbow. Two questions:
1. When dumping at a dump station on your way out of the campground, do you use the 90 degree elbow or just (gently/carefully) put the end of your hose into the dump "hole"?
2. Where do you store the 90 degree elbow? Obviously won't fit into the bumper. Our TT has only one large outside storage compartment, and I really don't want to put it in there with our other "non-gross" stuff. Any creative solutions for an under-trailer storage rack/hook/container for this piece of the sewage system?

Thanks,
Brian
I like using fence posts for his storage as they went ever rust. Some have had problems after some time, with their hose getting pin holes from sliding inside our back out of the bumper after it gets some inner rust.

As far as storage of the ends, I use a smallish Rubbermaid that seals up well, and it lives in the basement. Next to it is a pack of disposable gloves, a bottle of bleach mix for spraying anything questionable, and a small pump if hand sanitizer.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #54
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Things to put in fence post mod.
Outdoor mats.
Awning sun screens.
Sewer hoses and connections.
Fishing poles.
Flag poles.
Collapsible ladder.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #55

My hoses catch on something inside the bumper which can make removal very difficult. The spare tire holder was extended by a previous owner which, I suspect, has left some welding leftovers inside. The weight of the spare on that extended arm also is probably twisting the bumper slightly. I've got my fence post and am waiting for cooler weather to decide how to mount it.
2013 F150 Ecoboost
azjerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications