Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #1

AC unit installed to close to Vent?

Just bought an Apex Nano 187RB and I was installing MaxxAir vents on it. I was dismayed to find the AC unit was almost installed on top of the vent. I want to install a MaxxAir fan in this spot and I can't even do that without removing the AC unit (the screws for the vent are under the AC unit housing).

What the heck!?

Has anyone else run into this?

I would move the AC unit, but it means I'll have to enlarge the hole a bit to the front and then I'll have to put in some sheet metal to cover the section in back. The other challenge is the dampening foam is connected the the roof and AC unit with adhesive. If I wanted to make this change. I am nervous about damage to the roof and foam and not being able to replace it easily. I also need to have the materials available in case it rains.

Really disappointed.

Another option is no MaxxAir vent in front and I just out the fan in the bathroom area where there is room. But then it means keeping the bathroom door open to move the air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190602_121223553_HDR.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	206189   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190602_121242275.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	462.3 KB
ID:	206190  
bkbonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #2

I wonder if the AC unit and vent can be switched. The AC unit just uses a 14" square hole, right? What if I moved the AC unit behind the vent?? Is that possible?
Old 06-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbonner View Post
Just bought an Apex Nano 187RB and I was installing MaxxAir vents on it. I was dismayed to find the AC unit was almost installed on top of the vent. I want to install a MaxxAir fan in this spot and I can't even do that without removing the AC unit (the screws for the vent are under the AC unit housing).

What the heck!?

Has anyone else run into this?

I would move the AC unit, but it means I'll have to enlarge the hole a bit to the front and then I'll have to put in some sheet metal to cover the section in back. The other challenge is the dampening foam is connected the the roof and AC unit with adhesive. If I wanted to make this change. I am nervous about damage to the roof and foam and not being able to replace it easily. I also need to have the materials available in case it rains.

Really disappointed.

Another option is no MaxxAir vent in front and I just out the fan in the bathroom area where there is room. But then it means keeping the bathroom door open to move the air.
Perhaps you can create some additional clearance. When I added a Sensar accessory to my television antenna it would hit the refrigerator roof vent and not lower all the way. I used a heat gun on the vent and was able reshape it to provide clearance for the antenna.

I might even go to the extreme of cutting away the AC cover, if that would provide the needed clearance, before completely moving the AC unit.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #4

Having installed a number of RV A/C units my answer to your question-"I wonder if the AC unit and vent can be switched?" is maybe. The approximate 14" x 14" area of the A/C unit that allows intake and cooled air to move is a bit more to the front of the A/C unit. But--IF you have ducted air then you cannot move the A/C unit. Back to IF--if you move the A/C unit to the area where the vent is now the A/C unit would sit more towards the back of the existing vent hole. This might allow more room so that the vent can be moved to be in front of the A/C unit. Even if it gives you move clearance so that you can mount the vent cover you will still have to deal with the wiring for the 120vAC electrical power and the t'stat wiring. The seal between the A/C unit and the roof, which you are calling "dampening foam" is not usually glued to either the A/C unit nor the roof, it should peel right off. IF it is damaged when removed these gaskets are easily found on the internet. Another thought: The 14" x 14" hole the A/C unit is mounted on is usually framed for this 14" x 14" area. You would have to cut out part of this framing to move the A/C unit in any direction, not a good thing to do. The vents are not usually framed in as the A/C unit is so IF you swapped the two the A/C unit would not be sitting on as strong a structural area as it's original position.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #5

It's not ducted air. It's a small 18' camper. Well, maybe the spec on the AC unit changed after they cut the holes. The middle vent (one behind the AC) has 12 gauge NMB running around the outside of the cutout. I removed the inside cowl on the vent before I realized they were jammed together on top. I also pulled down the inside cowl on the AC, unscrewed the 4 bolts just to see if I could lift it. Maybe it would take 2 people since I've since found out they weigh 80lbs or so.

I'm going to contact Forest River (Apex) and ask them what is what on Monday. I don't want to make any changes to mess it up and screw the warranty since it's brand new.

Worst case is that I put the MaxxAir in the bathroom, but that's less than desirable for me. It would also mean I couldn't put a cover on the middle vent.

Maybe exhausting out if the bathroom is better and just leaving the vent behind the AC closed if I open the other windows to get some cross breeze.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #6

If it was just the AC cover I'd say, YES! But sadly, the metal housing underneath, it butting right up to it. Maybe I can remove the AC unit if it's not attached (as Thurman said), just to be able to remove the vent and then yes, I can possibly melt (manipulate) the housing on the MaxxAir Cover to make it fit over the vent and near the AC unit.

Maybe a smaller AC unit will take up less space behind the the front AC hole and not butt up so close to the vent.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #7

Also, Thurman, there is no thermostat on the wall. It's just a dial on the shroud of the AC unit. So, no special wire to move.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbonner View Post
I wonder if the AC unit and vent can be switched. The AC unit just uses a 14" square hole, right? What if I moved the AC unit behind the vent?? Is that possible?
No. The A/C takes up considerable space all around it. Figure the vent is basically in the center of the unit.

Hard to imagine the OP didn't see the relative location of the A/C from inside.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #9

It turns out that other units have the AC unit behind the vent.

It turns out that other units have the AC unit behind the vent.

Contacting dealer and manufacturer.

Wish me luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190608-073307.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	206693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190608-073255.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	206694   Click image for larger version