Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2020, 06:22 PM   #21

Maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyCox View Post
Did you ever remove an RV outlet? They are special, designed for walls that are only 1-1/2" thick. The NM cable (Romex) clamps onto the back. There are no terminal screws. In fact, there is no junction box. These outlets are approved for mounting in RVs without junction boxes.

It would be difficult and probably unsafe to attempt to replace that outlet with the one you proposed. See the attached image
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Outlet.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	242600  
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:35 PM   #22

https://www.amazon.com/Surface-Mount...a-570869560265

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Access...a-569240264109

Something like this works fine spliced in to about any 12vdc circuit. Two 5v usbs at 2.1 amps each is only about 21 watts, or about no load at all for most places you can find 12v in an RV. The bottom of most cabinets is hollow and you can fish wires through with just a little easily developed skill. The first one is a bit more than the normal 2.1 amp sockets but still not a big load for most circuits
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:42 PM   #23

Follow up.

I like to avoid the USBs that piggyback on a 120vac outlet as they are dead when you are off shore or generator power.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #24

I am adding one now. I have a charging station that has a 12 volt accessory outlet and 2 usb ports on one of the night stands, starboard side. I am adding one on the port side night stand. I looked in the 12 volt side of the fuse panel and found the 15 amp circuit for the existing one labeled "charge station". I looked to see what color wire was connected to that fuse. I found the correct wire running to the existing charge station and tapped into it. It is a 14 gage green wire with a white stripe along with solid white ground wire.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #25

I have one of these at the house and would probably add on in the RV if I needed more space.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PRIME-2-Out...-AC/1000101247
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:50 AM   #26

I found these on-line from Lee Valley hardware. They are a 110/120V power outlet cube with two USB ports in them.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...-multi-outlets

Since we never boondock and always use shore power they work great for me.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
I have one of these at the house and would probably add on in the RV if I needed more space.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PRIME-2-Out...-AC/1000101247
Yup that's what I've used for years in my houses and in my MH's. Best thing in the world no need to wire anything up and you still have the plugs available for use as well.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #28

USB Charging

There are a vast number of ways that what the OP wants to do can be done. If one looks on line at what is available it seems unlimited. In our 2604WS TT the only 120 outlet that does not have USB charge ports is the GFCI reseptacle and the one above the sink that I put in.

Name:   USB Recp._AC_UL320_.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  10.3 KB

They are small enough to fit in my TT walls and cabinets. I did need to add this bracket so there was something to mount to. Because of the thin wall panels I did have to add a spacer on the part the pushes on the back of the wall to have enough pressure to hold it in place. Used a piece of rubber hose, worked great.

Yes the recepts have screws for the wires, I wanted to get rid of the compression hold. Have had issues with those in the past.

Name:   Low Voltage Bracket._AC_UL320_.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  7.0 KB

When plugged into shore power what they draw does not matter.

As for the OP's 12 volt charging as has been said in other posts there are hundreds of ways to accomplish this. You just need to figure out which one will work the best for your application and needs. Don't want parasitic draws then either don't use 12V devices with displays or lights, or put a switch in with it and turn it off.

Hope this helps. Just my $.02
Chuck324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Yup that's what I've used for years in my houses and in my MH's. Best thing in the world no need to wire anything up and you still have the plugs available for use as well.
No kidding, I bought one of the wired USB receptacles before I knew about the plug in one. Could have bought three of them for the price of the wired type. And much easier to install.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #30

Yes exactly Lowes, HD, Amazon. The nice thing whether u move into a new house. MH, TT, 5er. Etc. You just unplug them and bring them with u. The nice thing RV industry have been adding them beyond just the dash now in my cases just not in the right places ��
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #31

I used outlets such as "dahagen" shows. Be aware that those outlets will NOT fit into most of the 120vAC boxes used in RV 's. The RV boxes are usually shallow. I mounted two (2) of these in boxes that mount directly to a wall. Note: Use boxes made for surface mount, they have places inside the boxes for the mounting screws to be recessed per NEC code. You can also find plastic electrical "stand off" boxes which mount directly over a box recessed in a wall such as in an RV. Those will give you the additional depth need for the 120vAC/USB receptacles.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:59 PM   #32

I connected my usd to the 12v wires going to the stereo.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
A question. Are you looking to use the additional ports when boondocking? Or do you usually camp with shore power? If you are on shore power, have you considered replacing the 110 outlet with one that has built in USB ports? Those are available at most big box stores.
Read the package closely as some say not for use in an RV. Could be an insurance issue in case of failure.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:15 PM   #34

USB Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treybecky View Post
Anyone added a USB outlet next to a 110 V receptacle ? I would have to find the wire that has hot 12v and run it over to new USB receptacle. Anyone do this ? Maybe using a wire to lights, but where ?

It seems like a challenge to find the right wire to splice into, then mount a box in the back of nightstand (which is accessible thru the outside compartment if you remove the 1/8" divider wall) ... Im pretty sure the 110 outlet has no juice when shore power is off. I dont have an inverter. I want to charge phone on either side, when on 12V battery power only. (btw, I have 110V adapter for USB when on shore power, no help here).

Our G19FD Geopro has USB and CLA on the right side of Murphy bed, but only a 110v outlet on the other side. My solution is to run a 10' USB extension cord under bed/sofa to other leftside nightstand from one of the two USB outlets on right side.

Kind of hooky, but Forest River should have thought of having both on both sides.

I replaced several 120 plugs with plugs that have a built in usb plug. I found them at Lowes. They come in all manufacturers. You may need to open the hole up a little but no more than 1/4". Don't make this project harder than it needs to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	usb plug.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	242944  
agmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:07 PM   #35

In my home, I installed several outlets with usb ports. They work great. In an RV, the only time they will use power is if you are connected to 120v shore power and if they are using that power all the time it really will not matter as they should not discharge your batteries unless you are using an inverter and not shore power.
CraigJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:10 PM   #36

Remember that most of those outlets with usb ports are designed to be used in a home where the outlets and wiring is in a box. Most RV outlets are not mounted in a box like they are in standard home construction. I am thinking of doing this, but putting the wiring in a shallow remodel box, before installing the usb outlet. That way the wiring is protected within the box and there are no exposed terminals.

C&J
CraigJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:26 PM   #37
Salty Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Those are called automotive adapters. Like these:.

This one gets you four-in-one in a nice wall mount. Three of those would get you to a dozen.
Thanks for the update Larry! You may have missed the word “transformers” in my comments. Definition “ a device having electric primary wire(s) coiled around an iron core and additional secondary coil(s). An AC voltage placed on the primary coil will be found on the secondary proportional to the ratio of P to S turns. Examples. 120 vac on 1200 turn P. to 50 turn S = 5 vac
Example 2: 12 vdc O vdc

Please send me a schematic of that “DC TRANSFORMER”

GENE :campfire.
Captain Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:07 AM   #38

Snarky responses will get you nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gene View Post
Thanks for the update Larry! You may have missed the word “transformers” in my comments. Definition “ a device having electric primary wire(s) coiled around an iron core and additional secondary coil(s). An AC voltage placed on the primary coil will be found on the secondary proportional to the ratio of P to S turns. Examples. 120 vac on 1200 turn P. to 50 turn S = 5 vac
Example 2: 12 vdc O vdc

Please send me a schematic of that “DC TRANSFORMER”

GENE :campfire.
Snarky responses will get you nowhere, Gene. Among my degrees are two in Electrical Engineering and a 45-year career. See https://www.linkedin.com/in/lvmarks/

Since we both know there is no such thing as a magnetically-coupled DC voltage converter, I assumed you were thinking of a switched-mode power supply which provides a transformation between one DC voltage and another.

Why would you have been asking for something you know does not exist?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #39

You mean a DC voltage regulator that regulates 12V down to 5v right? Nothing more than an IC chip, some resistors and capacitors. I have several I use to step down 7.4 LiPo power (up to 13v) to 4.8 Nicad type servos. All these 12v USB wall outlets have them. Of course the one spare I have I can't locate at the moment.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:11 AM   #40

We had two reading lights in the overhead over the bed...they were ridiculously too bright....I bought a couple of “reading / night light” (goose necks) which had built in USB ports as well..and replaced them. I believe that most of the wall outlets are AC anyway...at least I plug AC stuff and appliances in them 😜😁.
jas451 is offline   Reply With Quote