Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #1

Add a water pump

I'd like to add a water pump to 2001 Flagstaff pup that I bought last fall. There is a fuse marked "pump" and an unused wire in the converter, but haven't been able to find any kind of wiring diagram or schematic. Does anyone know where I can find one or can tell me how to do it? Can the clear water tubing handle the added pressure or would I need to get stronger tubing? The trailer only has the one sink. Thanks for any info!!
ARS940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and I doubt you will find a wiring diagram or schematic. Now I will get you started, and see how far you want to go. #1, must use high pressure tubing, the clear stuff and screw clamps are a wreck waiting happen.

Most new trailers come with pex tubing, which uses crimp rings, and a special crimping tool.

Now, does your trailer have a fresh water tank? Yes, we hope, you will have to add a fitting to near the bottom, to provide a suction line for the pump. Mount the pump, run a positive and negative wire to it, run the suction line to it, add a pressure style faucet to the sink, now run a pressure line from the pump to the pressure faucet the sink. Don't know how many holes you will have to drill, how to hide the plumbing, ect. If you camp below 32 degree temps, all pluming must stay in the camper to keep from freezing. Also make sure you put in a low point drain, and be ready to winterize. Sound like an easy enough task for you to start?
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, didn't know about the extra suction line. What about a switch to turn the whole thing on and off, there's mention of one in the owners manual? Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yes a switch will required also. Sorry, I didn't get in to all the details. I was just trying to lay out most of it to see if you were up to the task. I also made some assumptions maybe I shouldn't have. You mention one sink, but how many fixtures. I assume you have one that is a pump of some sorts. Is there another one or is that a combination fixture? (Do you have a "city" water connection and are you able to let water run continuous with city water connected?) Is the city water connection separate from the fresh tank fill? How big is your fresh water tank? Do you have a battery, I assume yes since you have a converter. Lot more questions if you are up to doing this.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 07-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #5

Yes, I have one low profile 2-way sink fixture, pump from the tank and push for the separate city water connection. The tank is I'm guessing 15 gal. No, I don't have a battery, must have been an option back then as was the water pump.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Now this is going to get expensive, sure you want to go through with it? Battery, battery box, pump, wiring, plumbing, switch, etc.? You might could use the suction line for the sink as a suction line for the pump. Might also use the city water line for the pressure side of the pump. Oh yea, need some cabinet space to mount the pump in, and they aren't all that quiet.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 07-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #7

OK, maybe I'll reconsider. Thought all I had to do was put the pump and switch in and change to a 3-way faucet. Thanks for all your advice.