Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2021, 04:06 PM   #1

adding 110 outlet to slideout

We have a FR Salem 27BUD. We removed the folding sofa and installed two recliner chairs. I would like to add a 110 outlet somewhere in the slider so that we can plug-in various items at the chairs. Has anybody done this? it may be problematic that I want an outlet installed on the slider because somehow the wiring will need to move.
AlanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:16 PM   #2
llr

Do you have an 12v items in the slide? If so I would follow the same path as it already allows the movement
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:22 PM   #3

There is a 12v line inside a plastic corrugated wire protection. I was thinking though, that 110 needed to be inside and something else since it will be in Romex? would it need to be inside rigid pipe such as EMT?
Old 10-18-2021, 05:51 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Most newer R/Vs don't use Romex for the feed wire for a slide where the slide moves.

Romex is solid wire and not designed to be flexed.

The proper wire is stranded service/machine wire or SJOW and often referred to as cord and not wire. It can flex as the slide goes in and out and can be covered by plastic loom for protection if so desired.

Many slides have folding scissors brackets under them to support the wiring or flex LP lines.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:48 PM   #5

New outlet

I had a similar situation, so I just added a thru the slider wall outlet and used a separate 110 extension from the pedistal or from your exterior 110 outlet.
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:45 PM   #6

This device is mounted under two of our slide-outs. It is hinged on one end and swings as the slide out moves in and out. The wire is attached to this and it allows the wire to move and stay protected beneath the side-out.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lippert-C...c&gclsrc=3p.ds
Old 10-19-2021, 07:06 PM   #7

Slide wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Most newer R/Vs don't use Romex for the feed wire for a slide where the slide moves.

Romex is solid wire and not designed to be flexed.

The proper wire is stranded service/machine wire or SJOW and often referred to as cord and not wire. It can flex as the slide goes in and out and can be covered by plastic loom for protection if so desired.

Many slides have folding scissors brackets under them to support the wiring or flex LP lines.
Any of the SJO family of cord can be used. Lowe's, for example, offers SJOOW, SJEOOW, and SOOW by the foot. If you will connect to a 15-amp breaker, get 14-3 cord. For a 20-amp breaker, get 12-3.

Sometimes I have seen "curly cord" used for this. I saw only one offered in bulk, but extension cords are easy to find. You could discard the ends. The same wire gauge rules apply.

https://www.cablescience.com/power-c...no-shield.html (this company has bulk cable, no plug or receptacle in a variety of jackets in both AWG 14 and AWG 12)

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-RL-70...4687684&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Kord-King-Ind...4687684&sr=8-9

https://www.grainger.com/product/POW...wer-Cord-1TNC1
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Any of the SJO family of cord can be used. Lowe's, for example, offers SJOOW, SJEOOW, and SOOW by the foot. If you will connect to a 15-amp breaker, get 14-3 cord. For a 20-amp breaker, get 12-3.

Sometimes I have seen "curly cord" used for this. I saw only one offered in bulk, but extension cords are easy to find. You could discard the ends. The same wire gauge rules apply.

https://www.cablescience.com/power-c...no-shield.html (this company has bulk cable, no plug or receptacle in a variety of jackets in both AWG 14 and AWG 12)

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-RL-70...4687684&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Kord-King-Ind...4687684&sr=8-9

https://www.grainger.com/product/POW...wer-Cord-1TNC1

The wire under my slides is all Romex 12-2 Gnd. It is not a tight bend but it flexes fine with no problems. It is also encased in a wire loom.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:12 AM   #9

I bought a heavy duty extension cord that was rated for appliances like an air conditioner. It has a three pronged plug on one end and a three pronged plug on the other end. I also bought a tap plug with 4 outlets and 2 USB outlets. I was going to mount it on a surface mount, but I have not done that yet. After I put the slide out, I plug the cord into an outlet that is close by, and there you have it!! When it is time to pull the slide in, I just unplug the extension cord and tuck it in a corner of the slide until I am ready to use it again.
Why make projects unnecessarily difficult??
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:00 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
After I put the slide out, I plug the cord into an outlet that is close by...

It all depends on the layout of the camper. I literally started with no floor mounted outlets on the entire passenger side of my 44' toy hauler. The only outlets I have are 3 that are in the ceiling. It's the dumbest thing.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:55 PM   #11

This may help? I needed to put in an additional light in kitchen area besides the one already installed. I actually managed to find which direction the wire came to the existing light by using a stud finder. The stud finder actually detected the 12 volt wire that was imbedded in the wall, so if you have wiring in your slide out it may be possible to trace the path and tie into it.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #12

I have two slides with 120v outlets. They have flexible wiring from the chassis to the slide and are protected with plastic cable guides and springs to take up the slack when the slides are pulled in. Inside the slides in areas that are nearly inaccessible without removing the stove and a cabinet, there are some funky 120v-rated, mobile home quick connectors. I had to rewire one of them (long story) and I used a proper electrical junction box. I suggest if you add an outlet, you follow proper electrical codes to ensure junctions are accessible and wiring does not get pinched.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
I bought a heavy duty extension cord that was rated for appliances like an air conditioner. It has a three pronged plug on one end and a three pronged plug on the other end. I also bought a tap plug with 4 outlets and 2 USB outlets. I was going to mount it on a surface mount, but I have not done that yet. After I put the slide out, I plug the cord into an outlet that is close by, and there you have it!! When it is time to pull the slide in, I just unplug the extension cord and tuck it in a corner of the slide until I am ready to use it again.
I like the direction you’re going here! Thanks!
Old 10-22-2021, 05:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
I have two slides with 120v outlets. They have flexible wiring from the chassis to the slide and are protected with plastic cable guides and springs to take up the slack when the slides are pulled in. Inside the slides in areas that are nearly inaccessible without removing the stove and a cabinet, there are some funky 120v-rated, mobile home quick connectors. I had to rewire one of them (long story) and I used a proper electrical junction box. I suggest if you add an outlet, you follow proper electrical codes to ensure junctions are accessible and wiring does not get pinched.

phyllyg, The more I thought about your suggestion, the better I liked it. Very simple to install a floor mount box with outlet on inside with a short pigtail outside. That way, it’s out of the elements too. Thanks! Great idea!
Old 10-22-2021, 06:55 AM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
phyllyg, The more I thought about your suggestion, the better I liked it. Very simple to install a floor mount box with outlet on inside with a short pigtail outside. That way, it’s out of the elements too. Thanks! Great idea!
If this is the direction you are thinking, why not put something like this on the outside rather than a pigtail...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If this is the direction you are thinking, why not put something like this on the outside rather than a pigtail...

This is even perfecter! Brilliant! Thanks to all...definitely getting this exterior plug if I can find one.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #17

If you really want to do it the easy way get a battery powered backup power supply and slip it out of sight and just plug it in at night or whenever...
mrfikser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfikser View Post
If you really want to do it the easy way get a battery powered backup power supply and slip it out of sight and just plug it in at night or whenever...
That’s another good idea. It wouldn’t hurt to have one of those on hand just in general.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
We have a FR Salem 27BUD. We removed the folding sofa and installed two recliner chairs. I would like to add a 110 outlet somewhere in the slider so that we can plug-in various items at the chairs. Has anybody done this? it may be problematic that I want an outlet installed on the slider because somehow the wiring will need to move.
Not a problem. Use number 14, 3 wire cable instead of romex. Connect it to a new 15 amp breaker in the load center, run it under the floor tied to the frame along the way, then run it with the other wires under the slide, there should be a hinge looking plastic device that keeps the wires from kinking/ falling when the slide goes in and out. Drill a hole through the bottom of the wall and feed the wire into the wall, buy a wall plug box at your RV dealer and install it in the wall. I did this in my 2016 Shasta 32 foot TT.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #20

I put one of these in my previous 2 campers to have some extra outlets not on the same circuit as the camper so I could use a toaster oven or ceramic heater or blow dryer/curling iron (not for me) and not trip a breaker. Pretty easy. Drilled a hole in the camper and ran a wire to the outlet inside where I wanted it. Then I just run an extension cord to the inlet when setting up camper. It worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/ParkPower-Mar...O%2CB08GLFQV2P
grege is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide