Old 04-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #1

Adding a skylight?

I would like to add a skylight in my shower. The bathroom already has a fan but that is over the toilet and the show has only a crappy small light. It doesn't seem like that big or difficult of a project. It is easy enough to find the dome part but i can't find a finishing kit (for the inside).

I must be searching incorrectly. Anyone have any idea's?

Ed

Bianchina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #2

If considering a skylight in the bathroom, I'd make it a larger rectangular one, as is standard on many new models, mine included. I found rectangular inside trim on Amazon. In addition to light, it adds headroom.

I've considered adding one in the main cabin of my hybrid. What concerns me us not knowing what's in the roof, or the extent tio which I compromise its integrity. How do you intend to address the questions? I'm very much interested.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:03 PM   #3

The 14 x 22 would fit between rafters, which are generally 16" on center. They have an inner and outer piece so no special materials necessary.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #4

thanks for the info, I will look there.

After being up on the roof for the first time this weekend I realized that the way the factory insures that the rood is sealed is with tons of sealant. However you can not use silicon (I've seen this on several posts).

I think the key is to find the joists and go slow. The procedure I saw was find the joist, then drill a 1" hole then slowly and carefully cut the opening making sure to avoid any wiring. When you get to the roof drill holes in the corners and cut the rubber on the roof and use a jig saw to opening in the roof plywood. After that use a ton of self leveling caulk to seal. Finish the install. From the research I've done you should put sealing "eternabond" tape then coat the crap out of everything with the caulking.

Check out this post...Installing a new skylight - RVTalk Forum

Bianchina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:19 PM   #5

I looked at rvpartscountry for the inner and outer. Try to mount off the crown so the mounting is relatively flat. Make sure the ceiling AC ducting doesnt run through the proposed area. It will be a straight shot down the vents. There is a special caulk approved for rubber but not destructive to the acrylic skylight. Source that from the supplier.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchina3 View Post
I think the key is to find the joists ...
How do you do that? I've asked FR for information and got nothing.

I'm thinking of adding one in the front left (facing forward) corner. It doesn't seen like there would be anything hidden there.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:08 AM   #7

Usually a staple line on the ceiling. Or just press to find the trusses. Usually 16" on center should give you the 14+" in the gap. Roof will maintain integrity. The link posted earlier wasnt bad. Once you have the opening, add 1x2" between the trusses upper and lower to add support and backing for screws. Dont overtighten skylight screws. Just enough to draw it down so it wont split over time.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
... Once you have the opening, add 1x2" between the trusses upper and lower to add support and backing for screws.
Having taken off the inner skylight shroud on my existing bathroom skylight it appears to me that FR added nothing between the roof and ceiling. Also, the space between the two layers is more like 4", not 1" or 2". Is your suggestion of a 1x2 merely for screw backing? Or should I used something wide enough to span between ceiling and roof, maybe 1x4? Or a 1x2 on roof and separate 1x2 on ceiling?

Thanks

(I'm not the OP but the topic is the same and answers will benefit both.)
Old 04-15-2015, 10:41 AM   #9

With the inner skylight to make things simple, they are just for screw backing. My posts are part of my legacy to be read by millions, or else I would not post...

Tags
light