Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #1

Post Adding a TV Antenna

First post here but had been looking for the answer I needed on here. Anyhow I just bought a brand new 2018 Coachman Catalina Legacy Edition 273BHS and the antenna pretty much is crap. I could only pick up 5 channels, which most of the time would be fine cause not usually watching tv when we are camping. However the first weekend we took it out and the weather was horrible and spent a lot of time inside so I was wondering about buying an antenna then I can just hookup to the outside cable hookup. My question is first of all would that work? Will it feed to all the TV hookups? Any help or ideas will be well appreciated Thanks
Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #2

The radio in mine (2018 Grey Wolf 26DBH) is connected to TV antenna. I know reception sucks unless you push the button on cable jack to power the antenna. then it seems to pick up a lot of stations. Not sure how that works if you want to listen to the radio while connected to campground cable access.
Mmcglynn264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #3

So an antenna should work through my cable hookup but I will lose radio reception? If that's the case I think I could live with that
Old 04-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #4

I think what he is trying to say is that most RV antenna connections have a small push button on the wall cable plate that starts an amplifier that will get more stations to appear on your TV. There should be a small LED that will light up when the antenna amp is on.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #5

Ya I have that on when trying to watch tv. My antenna is just crap and only picks up 30 miles away. I want to have antenna that gets farther but not mess with my new campers roof. Why I was asking about just hooking an aftermarket antenna to the cable hookup on the outside of my camper. I just want to know if that will work through all my tv hookups on my camper
Old 04-16-2018, 05:45 PM   #6

Most outside high definition tv antennas that are out now have a built in amplifier that needs to have power run to it thru the coax. If you have a separate sat hook up outside it might be better to use it as it should be a straight thru cable and not going thru the switches. Our last camper had the junk omni-directional tv antenna and I thought about using a powered tv antenna on the outside like the one we have at our home. I was going to use the sat connection for it, but we traded that camper, so didn't get to try it out. Just my thoughts.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #7

Your getting about what you should, 30 miles is about it with any "Over The Air" antenna that is not elevated 30-40 feet in the air. I'm sure you are aware that HD tv reception is VERY directional dependent/sensitive and you must be pointed AT the broadcasting station to pick up their channels.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #8

pick up a good external antenna and a couple of lengths of pipe to get it high off the ground... run this antenna with a length of coax to the back of the tv...

I have something similar and get signals from 100 miles away
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ant.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	168533  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #9

Looks like not a lot of great choices I can do. If I do get an antenna outside I will need to run the coax all the way to the back of the tv and not just to the back side of the camper. Wasn't really wanting to do that. I'm about 70 miles give or take from depending where I camp so might just be out of luck
Old 04-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #10

I can not understand why running a non amplified antenna thru the cable hookup would not work. At home I run my antenna thru my cable (sat) to get local channels. OTA antenna is not usually hampered by splitters like sat. is. I think it would work since these new "plate on a stick" antenna the mfg's are using are such junk. Give me my old batwing!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #11

After looking at more antennas it looks like you can get some that are powered by 12 volts. Maybe that could make it work to plug in at the back of camper
Old 04-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
So an antenna should work through my cable hookup but I will lose radio reception? If that's the case I think I could live with that
Turning antenna power button on also boosts reception of the radio.
Mmcglynn264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #13
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

If you have the batwing antenna on your RV...get one of these from Camping World:

https://www.campingworld.com/king-ja...ent-head-white

Best $50 I've ever spent on an RV...

I pull in stations up in the mountains that I never ever could get anything before.

And when I was still living in my house in Denver I pulled in over 80 channels with it in my side yard.

Attaches to the batwing crank arm...takes two minutes to install...uses the same signal amplifier...and you'll be all set!

You will be sadly disappointed with those home TV antennas...don't waste your money on them.

I'm out in the middle of Nowheresville, New Mexico right now, and I'm one of the only RV's in this park getting any TV reception...and I'm pulling in 16 channels (watching Star Trek Voyager on the H&I Channel out of Albuquerque as we speak).

Here is mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerMaxxAirFrontDoneStorm-P1010871.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	168555  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:08 AM   #14

Mmcglynn264, as long as I can get tv through the camper I good with it. If I have cell service I usually stream music or listen to iPod.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:11 AM   #15

JohnD10, I had a batwing on my old camper and got lots of stations. Wish my new one had the same on it but it don't. Thought having an antenna that I didn't have to move up around would have been a nice thing but it's not.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #16

Has anyone tried using an antenna like this in their camper?

TV Antenna, Antenna TV Digital HD - Support All TV's Best 70+ Miles High Definition 2018 Newest 1080P 4K Ready Advanced Amplifier Signal Booster and 16.5FT Coax Cable for Digital Freeview https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079FL4Z8H..._HxI1AbSRKG159
Old 04-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #17

Quote:

TV Antenna, Antenna TV Digital HD - Support All TV's Best 70+ Miles High Definition 2018 Newest 1080P 4K Ready Advanced Amplifier Signal Booster and 16.5FT Coax Cable for Digital Freeview https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079FL4Z8H..._HxI1AbSRKG159
I bought one like this and have not used it.... I am working on the RV this weekend and will check it out further and report.

To the OP... I assume you have a King antenna that rotates and doesn't raise? I have the same and it SUCKS!. I got a signal meter for it from King..$40 wasted. I downloaded and AP for the (TV towers) and am not smart enough to read/use it. I cannot tell the direction the phone needs to be pointed vs: the antenna vs: the moon and my nearest neighbor... even if she is purty.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:14 PM   #18

Iwannacamp, I can't raise mine or rotate mine. I would appreciate letting me know how it works and where you locate it when you try it. Hopefully this can be an easy fix
Old 04-17-2018, 12:14 PM   #19

Quote:

Like I said earlier...

Don't waste your money on those cheap TV antennas...

You'll be sadly disappointed, most especially out in the trees!
Old 04-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #20

Quote:
JohnD10, I had a batwing on my old camper and got lots of stations. Wish my new one had the same on it but it don't. Thought having an antenna that I didn't have to move up around would have been a nice thing but it's not.
What antenna do you have?

And a photo of it if you can...

Tags
antenna