Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #1

Adding a Vent Fan

How hard is it to add a fan kit to an existing vent? We have a vent in the bathroom and in the main seating area in our 2011 Shamrock. The one in the seating area does not have a fan, just a very similar vent opening - I would like to add a fan here - anyone else done this?

Styg
Stygshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #2

Pretty easy as long as you add a fan with the same opening size as your current vent opening. And, you can find a convenient 12v source close to the newly installed vent. If no 12v near, you'll have to be a bit more creative by somehow pulling wires thru the wall/ceiling or routing it upward to the vent on an inside wall/ceiling.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #3

It's easy. Holes in roof are standard 14" x 14", and all fans are standardized to fit that size opening.
The vent hole you have now may be pre wired for a fan. If there is an interior trim piece, pull it down and check the perimiter of the opening for wiring.
If no wiring, you can tap into the wiring from a nearby 12 volt ceiling light fixture.
Most aftermarket fans will come with everything you need to mount it, except caulk which you'll need to run a bead around the exterior flange and a dab to cover each mounting screw. I'd recomend Dicor Self Leveling Caulk, pretty much the best caulk out there.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #4

Its got a factory ceiling vent form the same manufacturer as the bathroom vent, and several models we looked at already had a fan in that spot. Original owners at some point must have had wind catch this one as there is a crack in the back casing. I had the vent covers added at the dealership, not realizing this one didn't even have a powered fan in it. Want to replace it with the same unit with a fan, and there is a 12v light about 18 inches away on the ceiling already, so shouldn't be be an issue tapping into it.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #5

I just did this last weekend to my camper. Vent began leaking last time we were out so I knew I had to do something with it. Figured if I had to pull the vent to re-seal it, may as well upgrade. I had a vent, no fan, but I knew that 12v wiring passed around the vent to go between two lights. I bought a Fan-tastic Vent model 7350, a roll of buytl tape and a tube of dicor lap sealant from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-807...an-tastic+vent

The hardest part/most time consuming is removing the old butyl tape from the roof, especially if you have a rubber roof. Be patient, it'll be worth it. I happened to have a nylon trim pry bar set lying around and that was instrumental to the butyl removal.

Nylon Pry Bar Installer Kit 4 Pc

Sturdy enough to remove the putty but not sharp enough to cut the roof. I put a 4' x 4' sheet of plywood on the roof to spread my body weight around (i'm not light by any means), and went to work. Once you get the putty off, use mineral spirits to clean the remaining putty residue. Dry fit the vent, connect it temporarily and verify functionality, then put new butyl tape and screwed the vent to the roof and put the dicor around the flange covering each screw. After that, depending on your roof thickness, you may need to cut down the trim piece for the inside.

There's multiple videos on youtube also on how to do it. Not hard, but can be time consuming to get the butyl tape off, but well worth it.
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:43 AM   #6

Great, looks like a pretty easy project for a computer geek.... I have been wanting to get up and check the roof - the detailers and techs at the dealership told me it was in great shape, but I have not been up there to check yet.

Now... about this 2-4 inches of snow we are getting in SE Michigan tonight.....

Grrrrr
Old 04-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #7

Had a fan/vent put in place of old cover that was getting brittle. The shop manager only said he would do it if wiring was already tucked along the side of the vent housing. The entire unit had to be pulled up on top and old caulking removed. The new vent was $80.71 and I was charged for 30 minutes of labor $9.16 for a tube of caulk.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #8

From one computer geek (Oracle DBA) to another, you'll be fine. As to the snow.. you're on your own with that one. Here in North Florida, we've got clear skies and a high of 80, so wish I wasn't working this week. Here's a couple pics i took doing my install.

foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #9

I'm having my fantastic fans installed as we today... I didn't have time to do it.... and my luck, I'd make it leak somehow...
I'm also having the smoked vent covers installed. Max Air's I think?... the kind you can run with the vent in the open position with...
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #10

Search Ebay/Amazon, these can be found for a reasonable price. I have the newer 3 speed reversible model. It is super easy to install, I tapped into the lighting wiring which usually runs through the center of the ceiling. There is no outside work at all, no worries about "leaks'

Vortex 1 RV Roof Vent Upgrade camper Trailer Air Fan 12 Volt Heng's 90043 CR | eBay
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stygshore View Post
How hard is it to add a fan kit to an existing vent? We have a vent in the bathroom and in the main seating area in our 2011 Shamrock. The one in the seating area does not have a fan, just a very similar vent opening - I would like to add a fan here - anyone else done this?

Styg
Remove the interior cover to see it has been prewired is so your in luck if not then you have to get power from nearby light. Lowe's carries a small bit but about 24" long with a hole in the bit. Attach wires an pull through. Or a metal fish tape you can work through the insulation to the light.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #12

Per your post, you want to use the same fan. An alternative would be the below fan. It does not require removing the entire housing. It has in-flow and out-flow settings. Also has very good user ratings.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00APSSPEA/...=IAV65WUYC3IK7
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Per your post, you want to use the same fan. An alternative would be the below fan. It does not require removing the entire housing. It has in-flow and out-flow settings. Also has very good user ratings.

Amazon.com: RV Roof Vent Vortex II Ugrade Kit Multi-Speed Fan: Automotive
Yes, this is the one I recently installed, I installed the single speed fan in my previous TT
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #14

I would like to know this as well? We have a vent above the couch/Murphy bed, right next to a light fixture, in our Rockwood Mini lite 2304KS. I Would love to retrofit a reversible max air fan and outside cover to it. How do you find the right size? And where is the best place, price wise, to find them ?
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Most all vent fans are designed to fit a standard 14" x 14" square hole.
Most every camping supply stores sell them and thousands can be found on the internet with a Google search.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Camper View Post
Yes, this is the one I recently installed, I installed the single speed fan in my previous TT

I installed this kit as well replacing the pathetic little bathroom vent fan. It was a straightforward installation. The new fan moves much more air.

Sent from my secret hardened bunker.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:56 AM   #17

Only problem with this over the fan fan design.... I don't have an existing fan, so I have to disassemble the vent opening to find the power source from the nearby 12v light anyhow - at which point I might as well replace the entire unit right? or is the power pretty easy to get to?

I may consider one of these in the bathroom area though,and then maybe I can just move my bathroom fan to the main living area.

Styg
Old 04-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stygshore View Post
Only problem with this over the fan fan design.... I don't have an existing fan, so I have to disassemble the vent opening to find the power source from the nearby 12v light anyhow - at which point I might as well replace the entire unit right? or is the power pretty easy to get to?

I may consider one of these in the bathroom area though,and then maybe I can just move my bathroom fan to the main living area.

Styg
Sometimes 12v power is pretty easy to find and fish to a vent, sometimes not. I don't think you'll know until you get in there.

I would rethink moving the pathetic little vent fan to the main living area.
The ones I've had in a few different units were noisy and really didn't move much air, which is why you are contemplating replacing it in the bath area to begin with.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Sometimes 12v power is pretty easy to find and fish to a vent, sometimes not. I don't think you'll know until you get in there.

I would rethink moving the pathetic little vent fan to the main living area.
The ones I've had in a few different units were noisy and really didn't move much air, which is why you are contemplating replacing it in the bath area to begin with.
Agree 100%! It should be Against the Law to call them "FANS" they are "Noise Makers"! Youroo!!
Old 04-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #20

Hmmm the fan in my bathroom is the same size as the opening in my mail living area. Maybe the original owner swapped them?

Styg

Tags
fan, vent