Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #1

Adding Dimmer Switches

I would like to add dimmer switches to the LED lights above the sofa and above the dinette. Will a regular dimmer switch work for this or what do I need to look for? Need it simple as I'm not an electrician.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

All the lighting (maybe a few exceptions) is low voltage (12VDC), so you need to use a low voltage dimmer. These are typically small dial switches that won't fit at most typical light switch locations due to the size of the dimmer body behind the cover plate.

You might be able to install one at each fixture. Where do you want the dimmer installed wall or fixture? How many light do you want to be controlled with each switch?

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:53 AM   #3

I installed one these on both of our awning LED strip lights. Should work for any 12V LED light, just put them in the wiring before the light.

There are also many of the RF remote control style as well. I didn't want another remote laying around and there have been some reports of failures with them as well.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Here is one dimmer product just for RV/Marine.

JR Products 12275 Black Dimmer On/Off Switch with Bezel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UC6Q0E..._aXlowb1AEXTJM

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #5

Erik, I want to replace the current switch that controls two LED lights above the sofa and another that controls two LEDs above the dinette. The one you referenced says it's not recommended for LED. Went to Lowes and Home Depot and they carry LED dimmers; however, I don't know if they would work in an RV.

Skip
Old 11-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

The dimmers at Lowes and Home Depot are for line voltage (120 VAC) LED fixtures.

Sorry about the last link, I will look again for the one I should have posted.

Controlling only two fixtures with one switch should not be a problem. Is the current switch mounted in a cabinet or wall? Are there cabinets above the lights to hide a controller (typically less than 4"x 6"x 2")?

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #7

I did a google search for the ones I got. Work with lamps or leds(12volt).
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Adding Dimmer Switches

Here is the RV dimmer switch for LED lights I wanted to post.

JR Products 15225 Black LED Dimmer On/Off Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C88ASPO..._hPmowbH8J0XB0

Please note you will need to have both the positive and negative power wires at the light switch location for this switch to work. Reading the reviews on Amazon one person ran into this problem, so you might need to run an additional wires from the first fixture to the light switch.

You might be able to use a dimmer for the strip LED lights that have a remote control. These dimmers would be mounted in a cabinet above the lights where you have access to both positive/ negative wires running to the fixture(s). Note these typically will not fit in the wall in place of the standard wall switch.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #9
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Adding Dimmer Switches

Here is a link to a YouTube video from a RV LED lighting dealer that explains dimming LEDs for RV lights.

Dimmer must be a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) and your LED bulbs must be dim able.

Most the RV LED lighting stores will have the correct items, but not always at the lowest price. They are good places to start and/or for education. They will typically provide you tech support if you run into issues. Once you have the knowledge and experience you can shop Amazon & eBay for lower prices.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #10

Thank you for the information. Good to know there's something out there. Now to find out if our LED bulbs are dimmable.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #11

I bought two dimmers with remote from eBay... about $10 each. Works great on awning and factory ceiling lites. The remote doesn't have to be in view to work. Mine are hidden in cabinets and work from outside the camper. Just search 12volt led dimmer on eBay if interested
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:43 AM   #12

I have used this with great results, a little pricey though.

Brand New Perfitâ„¢ LED Dimmer Switch Dual Channel for LED Lighting Lights | eBay
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #13

I used the same as post #12. Used one in the bathroom, makes a great night light effect. Used the other in bed room. Works with either LEDs or regular lamps.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote