Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 11:50 PM   #1

Adding Electrical Outlet to back of jacknife sofa

I have a small shelf behind my jacknife sofa & would like to add an electrical outlet. Any ideas? I have a 2016 Forester 3051S. I have an outside TV behind the sofa, but don't know where the electrical connection is.Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	239857
mmarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:44 AM   #2

Can you add a outlet inside above or below the outside outlet and tie on to the back of the existing outlet?
Rick the Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:41 AM   #3
Site Team

The first question is, is there a 120 volt receptacle in the outside tv compartment?

If there is, then I would use Rick's suggestion of tying into that receptacle and routing the wires inside to the new receptacle. I'm assuming that you want to mount the new receptacle into the shelf at the back of the sofa.

Have you looked to see if perhaps there's a receptacle down behind the sofa that you could just extend up to the shelf?
Old 09-24-2020, 07:50 AM   #4

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarken View Post
... I have an outside TV behind the sofa, ...Attachment 239857
if you have a 120v TV there, then you certainly have a 120v outlet that it is plugged into, making for an easy way to add another outlet to the circuit.

the couch moving out of the way will be something to deal with, but if possible, you should have a relatively easy job.

if the TV outlet is at the 'end' of a circuit run, it's even easier, as you simply can add your new wiring to it...

if the TV outlet has wires coming into, and leaving the outlet, then you have a little more involved...

but, have mercy, there's another answer, and even simpler than either of those: simply plug a short extension cord into the existing TV outlet and bring it up to behind the couch, or even 'thru' one of the cup holders. : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #5

Different than a house

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarken View Post
I have a small shelf behind my jacknife sofa & would like to add an electrical outlet. Any ideas? I have a 2016 Forester 3051S. I have an outside TV behind the sofa, but don't know where the electrical connection is.
Understand that this is not the same as residential wiring. The fittings in RVs are different--They use an insulation-displacement outlet that clamps onto NM cable; the outlet fastens directly to the wall; no junction box is used. See the image below.

These outlets can accept one or two segments of NM cable. If the TV outlet has only one, you can connect another to it. Then, if you can mount your outlet directly above or below the existing outlet, you can probably stuff a piece of 14 gauge NM cable inside the wall between them and connect at both ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Outlet.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	239886  
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:14 PM   #6

I ran a heavy duty appliance extension cord that I plug into an available outlet. The other end has a surge protector that has 6 outlets and two USB ports. It is used mainly as a charging center for electronics, but it can also easily handle the coffee maker and toaster oven running together in the morning.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical