Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 10:48 PM   #1
2006 Georgetown 340

Adding a new light switch

Hello, we have two reading lamps above our couch that have individual on/off switches for each. I would like to add one RV switch that will control both but I am not sure of how to wire this in. I know I can splice the two lights together to get power to them both at the same time however how do I connect the light switch? I purchased a simple RV rocker light switch for this.

Thanks in advance for your help.
compint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:15 PM   #2

The switch could be added to either the hot or ground side of the in coming line. The lights will need to be switched in the on position and wired together after the switch. They are probably already daisy chained together. You just have to pull both and see witch one is getting the power first and interrupt it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #3

Here is a schematic showing how to wire 3 lights.
One thing you must do is always run the positive wire to the switch first.

You need to run the positive lead to the rocker switch from your battery (positive) and just bring the other side of the switch to each black (positive) with of both lights and attach to the black wire of each light.
Now the white wire from each light can be joined together and attached to the ground (negative) wire from the battery.

Hope this helps you figure it out.
Iggy
Attached Images

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #4
2006 Georgetown 340

Thanks for the diagram.

So I have a blue/white wire that connects the two lights. I believe the blue is the ground and the white the power. If I connect the white wire to each light and the blue wire to each light and connect the same to each prong of the switch it should work? I apologize, I am not an electrician but know enough to be dangerous.

Thanks,
Old 05-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #5

If you have a blue and white wire I would believe the blue is positive and the white negative. I have always seen the white as negative in all my past rigs and any other colored wires (red, blue, black, orange ) are the hot positives.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #6
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by compint View Post
Hello, we have two reading lamps above our couch that have individual on/off switches for each. I would like to add one RV switch that will control both but I am not sure of how to wire this in. I know I can splice the two lights together to get power to them both at the same time however how do I connect the light switch? I purchased a simple RV rocker light switch for this.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I've been shopping for such a switch, where did you get yours?
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:36 PM   #7
2006 Georgetown 340

I'm doing something wrong. I wired one light and it was "ON" as it was wired hot with no on/off switch. I then connected a lead to one prong of the switch and connected to the blue wire and the other lead to the white wire and it blew the fuse. Tried to swap them on the switch and it blew another fuse. Not sure what I am doing incorrectly.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:35 PM   #8
Professional Curmudgeon

You are shorting the two wires together through the switch. Simply insert the switch in one wire. That is, cut one wire, doesn't too much matter which one, place one leg of that wire on one terminal of the switch and the other leg on the other terminal.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:18 AM   #9
2006 Georgetown 340

I picked mine up on Amazon, but there are other places online also.

Amazon.com: JR Products 12005 White Single SPST On-Off Switch with Bezel: Automotive

On-Line Parts Store
Old 05-30-2016, 06:31 AM   #10
2006 Georgetown 340

thanks!! OK, I will give that a try this morning.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #11
2006 Georgetown 340

Thanks for the help. The diagram and description made sense. I was shorting it out to the switch. Connected as described and wha-la..... It's working.

Thanks for your help!!

Tags
light