RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #81

Finally got our parking area finished last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	509BA222-635F-4569-94E0-F51E8F14F0D3.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	159884   Click image for larger version

Name:	7FE324C8-CD6C-434A-946A-3BCAB1A69239.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	538.1 KB
ID:	159885  
Amego381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amego381 View Post
Finally got our parking area finished last year.
Thats really nice, like the stone work
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #83

nice looking sandpiper also
kind of hard to use that grill while at home? LOL

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #84

Beautiful! I would be terrified of not stopping and I know I would be putting in a curb block behind the wheels to guarantee I didn't screw up parking when I am tired.
JEALOUS!
calgarycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
I signed up for that program called boondockers welcome, since I live close to Yosemite and other attractions, thought it might be worth trying. I stay home on weekends and holidays but it might help you too. Not sure what is available in your area.
We have been part of boondockers welcome for a while now, I think its a great concept. Haven't had an opportunity to use any sites yet but have hosted a few.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
I agree completely. If I lived in an older area of SoCal where it was already run down I wouldn’t mind. Being in a newer area it doesn’t take long for the trash to move in and start bringing it down.

It’s unfortunate that two grown people can’t get along and live next to each other. But hey, if both played by the rules they both signed up for there wouldn’t be a need for snitching would there?!

You know you don’t even have to live in a hoa to have a snitching neighbor. We own 4 lots 2 res and 2 undeveloped industrial lots. We always keep the res lots mowed the industrial are low lying and spring and summer was very wet and those 2 lots were mostly under water for the time. The next door neighbor complained to the city that our lots hadn’t been mowed to residential standards. So she filed a complaint with the city not knowing what land she was complaining about and the city didn’t even follow up and look at their own books to see what the land was zoned or even do a drive by and look at the land to see the standing water. We had to try to mow 2 lots that were under water
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
Well good for you.

But if you read my post completely you’d understand why I willingly pay a HOA.

Between the multiple families living in 1 house and the people who don’t take pride in their house lowering other home values with POS cars in the driveways, dead grass and screens missing on windows it’s a necessity in most areas in Southern California.

You don't have to live in CA to have the problems you described. Urban pigs are free to migrate wherever they want.

I live in a relatively small HOA (106 homes) and moved from one with almost 3,000 homes (and a golf course). For some reason people with a huge investment don't give a second thought to parking that "project vehicle" beside their driveway and covering it with a blue tarp for a few years. Ditto with keeping up the general appearance of their home and property (lawn mowing, garden weeding, house painting).

It's a whole different world when you live on acreage and the "slum" next door isn't visible. When you get ready to sell your house the prospective buyers won't be looking at (or often smelling) the accumulated garbage next door. Around here it takes an average of 5 years to get local code enforcement people to get the property owner (often a landlord) to abate the violations. With a HOA (at least ours) the problem is solved with a warning, an official notice, and then fines that add up quick. Liens are filed and fines that were ignored (or cleanup expenses incurred by the HOA) get collected when the property sells. Even banks that let their foreclosures fall into disrepair get the message.

I don't care what people look like or even what language they speak but I don't need them to drive the value of my property down by just living like pigs.

FWIW, absolutely no issues with my RV being parked on a pad next to my house. They just ask that it be kept clean rather than allowed to accumulate a 5 year old layer of "moss" like you see in other non HOA neighborhoods.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #88

Just like government, HOAs are a necessary evil.
Saturn V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:34 AM   #89

Non-friendly hoh

Your rv has to basically be in your backyard. This is the primary reason i choose to live in the country. I just had a additional driveway poured next to my garage for my 35' TT. I refuse to live anywhere where i have to pay some association that can tell me what i can do on my property while i have to pay the property taxes. That makes no sense to me whatsoever
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer26 View Post
Your rv has to basically be in your backyard. This is the primary reason i choose to live in the country. I just had a additional driveway poured next to my garage for my 35' TT. I refuse to live anywhere where i have to pay some association that can tell me what i can do on my property while i have to pay the property taxes. That makes no sense to me whatsoever
I don't think of it as paying an organization to tell me what I can do as much as paying for them to tell the natural born slobs what they CAN'T do when they move into a nice neighborhood. Their sole purpose is to protect property value which is a lot easier to do out in the country than it is in an urban area.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 01-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #91

Entertaining conversation (I'd never be part of an HOA, so it's interesting to read about all the proponents).
Like most internet arguments, none of us are going to change the others mind.

We should discuss camper parking at home........or something similar.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Entertaining conversation (I'd never be part of an HOA, so it's interesting to read about all the proponents).
Like most internet arguments, none of us are going to change the others mind.

We should discuss camper parking at home........or something similar.
Camper parking at home and HOA's do have a relationship. Some allow it, some don't. Those that do often have regulations to make sure that parked camper doesn't become an eyesore.

I have a question for those that do park a camper at home. Concrete slab or compacted crushed gravel "pad"?

Anyone use "Grass Grid" which is a system of 2'X3' concrete slabs with approximately 4" square holes cast in them? Lay the "grids" on compacted crushed free draining gravel, spread topsoil to fill the holes, and plant grass. The result is a concrete slab that looks like it has rows of grass plugs growing in it. Just mow like your lawn but wheeled traffic across it prevents ruts or mud.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 01-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I don't think of it as paying an organization to tell me what I can do as much as paying for them to tell the natural born slobs what they CAN'T do when they move into a nice neighborhood. Their sole purpose is to protect property value which is a lot easier to do out in the country than it is in an urban area.

Amen.

I question the people who see it differently
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #94
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Camper parking at home and HOA's do have a relationship. Some allow it, some don't. Those that do often have regulations to make sure that parked camper doesn't become an eyesore.

I have a question for those that do park a camper at home. Concrete slab or compacted crushed gravel "pad"?

Anyone use "Grass Grid" which is a system of 2'X3' concrete slabs with approximately 4" square holes cast in them? Lay the "grids" on compacted crushed free draining gravel, spread topsoil to fill the holes, and plant grass. The result is a concrete slab that looks like it has rows of grass plugs growing in it. Just mow like your lawn but wheeled traffic across it prevents ruts or mud.

My dad did. His weren’t that large- I’m pretty sure each 4” square hole was an individual block.

He doesn’t camp but he did put a pole building into the back yard.

He actually needed this since he was butting up against the township zoning regulations of amount of “yard” vs. impervious surfaces. These didn’t count for a paved surface since water can get down thru it.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:42 AM   #95
Site Team

TitanMike,

Ours is compacted crushed gravel.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

He actually needed this since he was butting up against the township zoning regulations of amount of “yard” vs. impervious surfaces. These didn’t count for a paved surface since water can get down thru it.

I have a similar requirement only with my HOA. I need to have the front yard covered over 70% with grass (sorry, no Xeriscaping no matter how long the drought). Right now I have a 12' gate in the side-yard fence that is disguised with vertical cedar slats like the rest of the fence (a metal cattle gate with the wood screwed to the metal rails) and my pad ends at the backyard side of the gate.

My plan is to use the "grass grid" material to firm up the front lawn so even during heavy rain no ruts form. Right now I use 2' wide sections of garage door as "planks" to keep the truck and trailer from sinking in when it's wet. They're free as my Son owns a garage door company and the sections are from old doors he removes. They last 3-4 times and I just get some "new" ones from him as needed. A bit of a hassle thus my plan to "pave to HOA standards". Just curious about other's experiences with the stuff.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 01-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #97

We widened our driveway to allow room for the TT. We were paying to store it but this is way more convenient and I know is parking beside me....
I really need a garage for both the TT and the TV. Breaks my heart to see them covered with snow/ sleeping in the elements!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1392.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	525.7 KB
ID:	160495
snub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:57 PM   #98
Not a newbie

Concrete 3rd driveway. Never needs mowing, always level, no maintenance required. Love it.
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:57 PM   #99
Not a newbie

My truck and TT cover it up and make it look nice.
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:14 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarycampers View Post
Beautiful! I would be terrified of not stopping and I know I would be putting in a curb block behind the wheels to guarantee I didn't screw up parking when I am tired.
JEALOUS!
X2!

Tags
parking