Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2017, 07:20 PM   #21

This.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-11-01 162204 .jpg
Views:	358
Size:	459.5 KB
ID:	159265  
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #22

I put a 20/30/50 amp box (like you see at campgrounds) 110 feet from the barn for about $300. The barn has its own supply and breaker box independent of the house. Also ran an underground water line.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
the thought of putting in sewer, water & electric seems a bit daunting....
But, well worth it.
We have full hook ups out front.
Nice.
M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:54 PM   #24

So are so much better off now. I can't wait till we can get out too. Hoping we can get to NM we're life is cheaper and I can still buy property at affordable prices.
Lookng4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:56 PM   #25

This is the view from my dinning room slider. I feel like Clark Griswold looking outside all the time dreaming of warm weather. It is great having our TT in the back yard. I trenched a 30amp service out to the shed so she is always ready to go. Click image for larger version

Name:	20171231_142151.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	159316
Phat Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:34 PM   #26

Looks really nice!! I just hope you don't get Eddie and family to come stay for a while
Lookng4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:19 PM   #27

RVs and HOAs don't mix very well. We just had a run in with the local HOA where we keep our 37 Santara MH. The MH is Parked to the rear of the house and out of sight unless you are looking straight on from the street. The HOA sent out letters on infractions including ours and threatened to have the MH towed at our expense. I dared them to set foot on the property and threatened a lawsuit. I have served as president of a couple of HOAs and I know at the end of the day there's very little they can do to enforce most covenants. The HOA has basically dropped it for now. Honestly I believe there was basically one individual who initiated the issue worked a couple others up. I maintain to HOAs that the most valuable asset you have in a neighborhood is good neighbors that watch out for each other. When it turns into a competition and watchdog state you have lost the most appealing aspect of a neighborhood. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170529_1955013.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	159320
2005 Coachmen Santara 3690ts
Weekend camping
Sports media business use.
sinjin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:27 PM   #28

Living in Southern California I wouldn’t live anywhere without a HOA. If you do live without one you end up with 5 families living in 1 house and streets are littered with cars and you have no option to park in your driveway. In some instances it’s worth paying the HOA to maximize the property value from low life’s trashing our neighborhood.

Most Properties in SoCal aren’t big enough for RV parking anyways so if you can’t fit it there may as well have a HOA. We keep our 5er in storage. We are allowed 72 hours before a trip and 72 hours after a trip to have it front of our house.

When my house flooded I contacted my HOA and told them I would be staying in my trailer in front of my house for 4-5 weeks while the construction was being done and they had no problem with that.

So there is Pros and Cons to a HOA.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:27 PM   #29

I've always been thankful I could store my TT's in my driveway. In the winter...less snow to move. Have a dedicated 30amp in garage and cord runs thru hatch next to garage door and outlet is mounted on wall inside.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:45 PM   #30
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Steve View Post
This is the view from my dinning room slider. I feel like Clark Griswold looking outside all the time dreaming of warm weather. It is great having our TT in the back yard. I trenched a 30amp service out to the shed so she is always ready to go. Attachment 159316
It's a pretty nice view though.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:47 PM   #31

Ditto on the 30 amp service at home. My TT is stored in my daughters 2-acre back yard and I trenched a 225' water and power line to the TT. Just as an experiment, I also put direct burial Ethernet cable in the trench for a WiFi repeater in the TT. Everything (including WiFi) works great.

2000 Forest River Wildwood Lite
2006 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel 4x4
GAGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:03 PM   #32
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
Living in Southern California I wouldn’t live anywhere without a HOA. If you do live without one you end up with 5 families living in 1 house and streets are littered with cars and you have no option to park in your driveway. In some instances it’s worth paying the HOA to maximize the property value from low life’s trashing our neighborhood.

Most Properties in SoCal aren’t big enough for RV parking anyways so if you can’t fit it there may as well have a HOA. We keep our 5er in storage. We are allowed 72 hours before a trip and 72 hours after a trip to have it front of our house.

When my house flooded I contacted my HOA and told them I would be staying in my trailer in front of my house for 4-5 weeks while the construction was being done and they had no problem with that.

So there is Pros and Cons to a HOA.
If something happens that I have to live in my RV for a while I don't need to contact anyone and ask permission to use my TT in my driveway.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
If something happens that I have to live in my RV for a while I don't need to contact anyone and ask permission to use my TT in my driveway.

Well good for you.

But if you read my post completely you’d understand why I willingly pay a HOA.

Between the multiple families living in 1 house and the people who don’t take pride in their house lowering other home values with POS cars in the driveways, dead grass and screens missing on windows it’s a necessity in most areas in Southern California.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
Well good for you.

But if you read my post completely you’d understand why I willingly pay a HOA.

Between the multiple families living in 1 house and the people who don’t take pride in their house lowering other home values with POS cars in the driveways, dead grass and screens missing on windows it’s a necessity in most areas in Southern California.

I’ve had homes in non-HOA neighborhoods a few times over the years and have never seen the things you describe. For the past 20 years I’ve lived on enough acreage to make it hard to see any other houses. But, I know what you’re talking about. There’s a place up the road aways that should be condemned. I’ll try to get a picture tomorrow and post it.

The problem I see with an HOA is one might be agreeable to all the rules when they buy their place. Then, five years later a different group takes over and changes everything. Then everything is not OK.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:03 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin79 View Post
I have served as president of a couple of HOAs and I know at the end of the day there's very little they can do to enforce most covenants. Attachment 159320

This mentality is one reason HOA’s get a bad reputation. People move into a neighborhood knowing there are covenants that all residents must abide by but then develop the attitude of “I paid good money to live here, I’m going to do what I want to do. What are they going to do about it”. I live in the country in a nice neighborhood that has an HOA and I soon realized there were a couple of residents that have this same mindset. Ironically, more than one are admittedly ex HOA board members. Simply shameful.

If your neighbors were truthful with you, you would likely find that the majority do not approve of your activity. Just because they don’t knock on your door and tell you you’re in violation doesn’t mean they are ok with it. Based on your threat of legal action against the HOA (which of course means you would be suing yourself and your neighbors) instead of complying like everyone else, my guess is that isn’t important to you though.

While a good neighborhood watch program is vital in any community, an acceptance of the simple fact that the covenants apply to ALL residents is more important.
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:08 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide5r4fun View Post
This mentality is one reason HOA’s get a bad reputation. People move into a neighborhood knowing there are covenants that all residents must abide by but then develop the attitude of “I paid good money to live here, I’m going to do what I want to do. What are they going to do about it”. I live in the country in a nice neighborhood that has an HOA and I soon realized there were a couple of residents that have this same mindset. Ironically, more than one are admittedly ex HOA board members. Simply shameful.

Nailed it!!!! Couldn’t have been put any better!

Cheers
Old 01-01-2018, 12:34 AM   #37

I feel so fortunate on these cold winter days to have an RV garage. We had it built next the the truck garage. I use an oil filled small heater to keep the RV warm.
Ram2500, diesel 4x4/Surveyor 251rks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV-garage1158.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	159340  
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #38

this is where ours stays at home when we are not camping

Name:	camper.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	713.7 KB
ID:	159378
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #39

That garage that debit has looks good, I would probably have made it wider and insulated. That’s just me. I like room to work on my stuff.
Even though this isn’t a thread for HOA bashing, but since it has become one, here’s 2 cents, when I tried one I found selective enforcement depending on who’s friends were runing the HOA.
If you wanted to build a garage like that one in CA it would cost you a bunch just for engineering.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
I agree, it looks great. Nice place you have there.

When I bought my rig I had planned to park in my son's place. He has a 20 acre property with lots of space. We made a road and 'landing pad' by lots of digging and grading and after getting it level, covered it with what we call here 'blue-metal', a bluestone and gravel mix that compacts to a very hard surface. Drove the rig up, bugger. Couldn't turn it sharp enough to get past a couple of tress. Because of the local environment laws, he can't cut these down. He has to wait until they either fall down or become dangerous to life-n-limb. He can't 'create a situation' that would get to this point because he is also the local fire warden and holds regular meetings at his place and all the locals know every twig on the property and would 'dob him in' if they saw a tree missing from the driveway (nice neighbours).

We were lucky on the return from our last trip to have a neighbour who was kind enough to allow us to park the van in his front yard (it just fits). This is not strictly legal here but as a council employee said to me (after she booked me for leaving the rig in the street for a few days), they don't do random checks, just come out of there is a complaint, so we are safe until someone bitches.

The images show the work being done on the entrance drive with the pad behind, the exit ramp leading to the exit gate and the very tight clearances we had in the entry from the local unmade road (this thing doesn't turn like a car with a trailer). The 3rd pic is of the drive in with those two annoying trees. It's when we are at this point that I am supposed to make a hard right.

It cost a few thousand bucks to make the pad and access roads and now it just sits there unused. The 4th pic is of the current parking spot. We put the van where the Nissan is and our home is where the van is. The dividing 'fence' are shrubs I planted and allows me access to the door through them without having to go the 'long' way around via the footpath. I have enough room to open all the slideouts and we can come and go as we please, great. And no, we don't fit in my drive, as the last pic shows, it misses out by a few feet. Because of this we don't need the pad, but who knows, maybe one day we will and I might have to make a moonlight visit to 'move a tree or two'.

Be careful and don’t let any salt get poured around any of those plants as it could damage them.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parking