RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-29-2017, 02:15 PM   #1

Adding RV Parking At Home :)

My Wife and I moved from Southern CA where we had RV parking to new home that we bought in NC a year ago that didn't have RV parking and we sure did miss it and didn't realize how spoiled we were having the TT parked at home. The HOA by-laws state that RV parking is allowed as long as it is past the rear of the house so we couldn't leave it parked in the main driveway.

So to ring in 2018 we decided to add the RV parking to our new place the project got started last week we are basically adding another driveway next to our existing driveway of course recent rain slowed it down a little and the wrong color block for the retaining wall was delivered but it will sure be nice when it's completed and we can bring the TT home from storage. I have attached some pics to give you an idea of the scope of the project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9324.jpg
Views:	1575
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	159193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Denver_NC_001.jpg
Views:	1706
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	159194   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171221_170459.jpg
Views:	1710
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	159195   Click image for larger version

Name:	6036117729419871744.jpg
Views:	1628
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	159196  
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Looks great. Are you taking reservations yet?
Old 12-29-2017, 03:00 PM   #3

interested in this ... want to do in our backyard as well but the thought of putting in sewer, water & electric seems a bit daunting....
Old 12-29-2017, 03:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
interested in this ... want to do in our backyard as well but the thought of putting in sewer, water & electric seems a bit daunting....
We have a septic system so I'm not even sure I can dump into it. I have to do more research on that my understanding is I can't if I use certain chemicals however, I did contact Rid-X and they said if I use their RV application it is safe for septic systems. The clean out is close by.

Water was no big deal since are house is on a crawl space we are having additional hose bibs installed around the perimeter of the house one of which we can use for the RV.

Installing the electric will be done alittle later the plan is to have a 50AMP plug installed for now we are going to just have to plug in to 15AMP plug located on the rear of the house.
TST 507 TPMS
Old 12-29-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Not sure I understand your HOA rule....

“RV parking is allowed as long as it is past the rear of the house”

So does the entire rig have to sit behind the rear of the house...ie. in your backyard, even though your new driveway addition appears to be beside the original driveway? Also if the elevation is as low as it appears....looks like it will be simple to do roof inspections from original driveway.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Not sure I understand your HOA rule....

“RV parking is allowed as long as it is past the rear of the house”

So does the entire rig have to sit behind the rear of the house...ie. in your backyard, even though your new driveway addition appears to be beside the original driveway? Also if the elevation is as low as it appears....looks like it will be simple to do roof inspections from original driveway.
Yeah I won't be able to park the TT next to the original driveway per the HOA so it's going to have to be parked back further approximately to the rear of the garage. I believe the new driveway is going to be around 150ft long from the street my property goes back about 300 feet from the road. The project also includes steps leading down from the back of the existing driveway to the rear yard it's going to all be grated and leveled on the side and rear. Hope that makes more sense ?
TST 507 TPMS
Old 12-29-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Very nice. Beautiful house and lot.

By the way....with both driveways you’ll always be able to have all the non-RV vehicles parked off street when you host that party

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:21 AM   #8

Great lot for that. Hope you are good at backing up...enjoy and wish I could do the same.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:15 PM   #9

Rv parking

When I built our new place I wanted a nice shop no RV then but it doubles for RV parking now, shop is 50x128 but I don’t plan on a bigger RV as I like back roads and stay away from parks. I did all the work grading and buildings with my wife.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A10C5CBF-FDAA-4BEF-BA23-35867E72C450.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	159241   Click image for larger version

Name:	27E591B6-47CA-4063-A414-B671619B1968.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	159242  
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #10

VERY nice shop! Is it wrong to be jealous?

2000 Forest River Wildwood Lite
2006 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel 4x4
GAGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #11

It would be wonderful to have the RV at home. It would sure be so much easier when getting ready for a trip. So happy for you that you will be able to have yours close by. You have a really nice place for it and you could also use it for a "guest room" or a "get away" for yourself.
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:26 PM   #12

That is an awesome shop. If I had your shop and you had a feather, we could both be tickled! Happy New Year.
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #13

I don’t blame Ejs for getting out of CA especially Southern. I would leave to but the weather and my retirement income keep me here. I would to just like to send the government away.
We are in the Sierras at 3500’ no cities in our county, 35 miles to a signal light. I just signed to allow people to stay here on Boondockers are welcome site.
I do pretty much what I want on this 15 acres. I do a little woodworking, car restoration, shooting, and hiking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	233ACEF7-3F2F-4216-9B6D-29E22327AFE5.jpeg
Views:	648
Size:	441.2 KB
ID:	159247  
Old 12-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #14
Just as confused as you

With the restrictions state and local governments put on home and property owners, why would anyone put up with HOA's? If they paid my property taxes or made my mortgage payments then I might consider it.

My uncle bought a lot governed by a HOA behind his house, they won't let him plant flowers, bushes, trees, fence it in, or plant a garden there until he builds a house on it. But the HOA says he has to mow the grass 2-3 times a week. And since it is a empty lot he doesn't have the right to keep neighborhood kids from playing there. But if one of them gets hurt, it's on him.

HOA's are for people who don't want to mind their own business.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:25 PM   #15

I thought the same thing, I lived into for about ten years because I wanted to fly back to my business and they were all HOA . After that I had to get out. My business is still there and even though it is commercial zoning the HOA still try’s to boss me around, until I forced to try to fine me then I wouldn’t pay forcing them to sue for collections , then I subpoenaed their records. To avoid that that they forgot the fine and decided what I doing was OK . Something to hide?
Old 12-30-2017, 05:01 PM   #16

I would never buy property with covenants or a homeowners agreement. Stupid stuff.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:54 PM   #17
Shelley

Beautiful home Ejs4029 and we'd kill for your shop aircommuter!

I'm excited about this thread because we purchased our first RV in August (Forester 2401W MBS). We live in West Texas on 16 acres and have our RV parked on our gravel drive in between our house and small shop.

I have been wanting to ask this forum some questions about parking (and using) your RV at home. We plug our RV into our 15 amp house electricity. We have a 2nd septic system at our barn and use this for dumping our black and gray water. We have frostless water valves within reach.

Here are my questions about RVing at home:
1. What limitations to operating and using our RV exist when plugged into a 15 amp?
2. What is the approximate cost to upgrade to a 30 amp?
3. Since we live in West Texas and like to "hang" in our RV at home from time to time (we do drop down into the single digits temps and have periodic snow through the winter), can't we minimize our "winterizing"? We have drained our water heater, and the tanks and placed a couple of gallons of antifreeze into the system.
4. Last, but not least, we can't find the low point drain in our RV. We looked near the door and could not find it. Does anyone know where this exists?

Thank you,
Shelley
SBurson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBurson View Post
Beautiful home Ejs4029 and we'd kill for your shop aircommuter!

I'm excited about this thread because we purchased our first RV in August (Forester 2401W MBS). We live in West Texas on 16 acres and have our RV parked on our gravel drive in between our house and small shop.

I have been wanting to ask this forum some questions about parking (and using) your RV at home. We plug our RV into our 15 amp house electricity. We have a 2nd septic system at our barn and use this for dumping our black and gray water. We have frostless water valves within reach.

Here are my questions about RVing at home:
1. What limitations to operating and using our RV exist when plugged into a 15 amp?
2. What is the approximate cost to upgrade to a 30 amp?
3. Since we live in West Texas and like to "hang" in our RV at home from time to time (we do drop down into the single digits temps and have periodic snow through the winter), can't we minimize our "winterizing"? We have drained our water heater, and the tanks and placed a couple of gallons of antifreeze into the system.
4. Last, but not least, we can't find the low point drain in our RV. We looked near the door and could not find it. Does anyone know where this exists?

Thank you,
Shelley
You basically can't do squat with a 15 Ampere feed. Microwave or refrigerator maybe, A/C, no.

Cost to upgrade varies according to closeness of RV parking to electrical panel.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #19
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
My Wife and I moved from Southern CA where we had RV parking to new home that we bought in NC a year ago that didn't have RV parking and we sure did miss it and didn't realize how spoiled we were having the TT parked at home. The HOA by-laws state that RV parking is allowed as long as it is past the rear of the house so we couldn't leave it parked in the main driveway.

So to ring in 2018 we decided to add the RV parking to our new place the project got started last week we are basically adding another driveway next to our existing driveway of course recent rain slowed it down a little and the wrong color block for the retaining wall was delivered but it will sure be nice when it's completed and we can bring the TT home from storage. I have attached some pics to give you an idea of the scope of the project.
I agree, it looks great. Nice place you have there.

When I bought my rig I had planned to park in my son's place. He has a 20 acre property with lots of space. We made a road and 'landing pad' by lots of digging and grading and after getting it level, covered it with what we call here 'blue-metal', a bluestone and gravel mix that compacts to a very hard surface. Drove the rig up, bugger. Couldn't turn it sharp enough to get past a couple of tress. Because of the local environment laws, he can't cut these down. He has to wait until they either fall down or become dangerous to life-n-limb. He can't 'create a situation' that would get to this point because he is also the local fire warden and holds regular meetings at his place and all the locals know every twig on the property and would 'dob him in' if they saw a tree missing from the driveway (nice neighbours).

We were lucky on the return from our last trip to have a neighbour who was kind enough to allow us to park the van in his front yard (it just fits). This is not strictly legal here but as a council employee said to me (after she booked me for leaving the rig in the street for a few days), they don't do random checks, just come out of there is a complaint, so we are safe until someone bitches.

The images show the work being done on the entrance drive with the pad behind, the exit ramp leading to the exit gate and the very tight clearances we had in the entry from the local unmade road (this thing doesn't turn like a car with a trailer). The 3rd pic is of the drive in with those two annoying trees. It's when we are at this point that I am supposed to make a hard right.

It cost a few thousand bucks to make the pad and access roads and now it just sits there unused. The 4th pic is of the current parking spot. We put the van where the Nissan is and our home is where the van is. The dividing 'fence' are shrubs I planted and allows me access to the door through them without having to go the 'long' way around via the footpath. I have enough room to open all the slideouts and we can come and go as we please, great. And no, we don't fit in my drive, as the last pic shows, it misses out by a few feet. Because of this we don't need the pad, but who knows, maybe one day we will and I might have to make a moonlight visit to 'move a tree or two'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Landing Pad 04.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	159255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Landing Pad 07.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	375.8 KB
ID:	159256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Landing Pad 08.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	159257   Click image for larger version

Name:	_1140010 copy.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	592.0 KB
ID:	159258   Click image for larger version

Name:	_1140011 copy.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	572.0 KB
ID:	159259  

Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:16 PM   #20

I couldn't imagine having to stow our camper in a lot somewhere. That's one of the good things about living out here in the country.

My barn has a lean-to on one side which just barely fits the camper. But I am already planning to have an engineer come out soon and see if my barn can be modified inside so we have 14' of clearance with 14' doors versus 12' doors right now. Then future campers go inside.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parking