Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #1

Adding thermostat to front AC.

We have a Chaparral 360IBL and the front AC does not have a thermostat. We have to turn it on with the switch on the unit. Has anyone on here added a thermostat to a non thermostat unit? If so, how much of a pita is it to do? I know I'll have to run a wire from the AC to the thermostat on the wall, but will the AC already have wiring for a thermostat? Thanks in advance for help!
Goferbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goferbroke View Post
We have a Chaparral 360IBL and the front AC does not have a thermostat. We have to turn it on with the switch on the unit. Has anyone on here added a thermostat to a non thermostat unit? If so, how much of a pita is it to do? I know I'll have to run a wire from the AC to the thermostat on the wall, but will the AC already have wiring for a thermostat? Thanks in advance for help!

What kind of thermostat do u have now? Pics?

Also what kind of ac unit is it? Pics?

You can swap out the controls for a thermostat if you can figure out what u have.
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:08 AM   #3

You will also have to change the control board in the unit itself, plus pick up 12volt for the stat, could be a big pita.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
What kind of thermostat do u have now? Pics?

Also what kind of ac unit is it? Pics?

You can swap out the controls for a thermostat if you can figure out what u have.
I don't have a thermostat. I want to add one to a Dometic Brisk II 13.5k in our bedroom. We have to turn it on and off with the switches on the unit. I guess what I'm asking is in general what is involved in adding a thermostat. I can pick up 12v from a nearby light switch. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2017, 06:52 AM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

There was a thread here probably a year or so ago where some used a heavy duty relay to act as an on off switch to the main power feed of the AC. The thermostat acted as the relays trigger. Made their non Ducted / thermostatically controlled unit work on a cheap honey well thermostat. Now this would not allow for fan speed changes in this setup but it would turn on and off as needed.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
There was a thread here probably a year or so ago where some used a heavy duty relay to act as an on off switch to the main power feed of the AC. The thermostat acted as the relays trigger. Made their non Ducted / thermostatically controlled unit work on a cheap honey well thermostat. Now this would not allow for fan speed changes in this setup but it would turn on and off as needed.
Will not work with dometic a/c will work with a Coleman, needs new control board and a domestic stat, dometic is the only company that uses a ground instead of a positive for there relays to supply voltage.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:30 AM   #7

Thanks!

Thanks to all that replied! I've always heard "search is your friend" and now I know. I googled how to add a thermostat to dometic ac and came up with this:http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nit-97237.html
He is working with my exact AC in my same model camper! Thanks again all!
Old 07-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Will not work with dometic a/c will work with a Coleman, needs new control board and a domestic stat, dometic is the only company that uses a ground instead of a positive for there relays to supply voltage.
Why would it not work? The relay is on the main 120 feed to the AC from the breaker. Not in any of the AC's wiring other than the main power.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #9

AC thermostat

Added 1 about 3 months ago. Called Dometic gave them model number of ac In return they gave me the part numbers for the thermostat and control board. Actually bought both thru camping world online. Had my rv dealer install for me. They took 1.5 hours of labor well worth it. Hope this helps.
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #10

I added a relay to my heater tstat to control the the Dometic A/C. No dedicated post, but I added a comment to this thread:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=115933

Mikeschultz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Why would it not work? The relay is on the main 120 feed to the AC from the breaker. Not in any of the AC's wiring other than the main power.
I have told you why in the above post, they use a negative wire to close the relay not positive, just buy the board.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #12

The relay is 12 volt contacts not 120 volt. The OP. IS DOING IT CORRECTLY.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #13

It works for me. I'm not using a relay in the A/C. It is added to the power line running to the a/c and is controlled by the thermostat that was formally for the furnace only. No need to buy a new board.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #14

Your the very first that I heard of with a dometic that it worked with a dometic stat

Old 07-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #15

I'm using a 12 volt relay that switches 110 volt. As doc73 said, it cuts power to the a/c. You leave the controls of the a/c on all the time and the 12v tstat wires triggers the relay to cut/restore the 110v power to the a/c. Can probably be used with any thermostat.

This is the relay I used: http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_Produ...jPK9kyzg%3D%3D

Old 07-28-2017, 02:46 PM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I have told you why in the above post, they use a negative wire to close the relay not positive, just buy the board.
Yes and while I do not want to argue with you, it will work. What I think maybe you might be missing and it might well be my wording... The relay is on the MAIN power feed to the ac unit. No thermostat connected to any of the air conditioner relays or thermostats. The added thermostat, bought from home depot merely triggers the relay and applies power to the AC that had been already trained to hight and full. Chill. Pretty much like flipping the breaker on and off.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeschultz85 View Post
I'm using a 12 volt relay that switches 110 volt. As doc73 said, it cuts power to the a/c. You leave the controls of the a/c on all the time and the 12v tstat wires triggers the relay to cut/restore the 110v power to the a/c. Can probably be used with any thermostat.

This is the relay I used: http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_Produ...jPK9kyzg%3D%3D
Posted the same time..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #18

Thank you for the Info, your are telling me you put this a Brisk 2 dometic correct

Old 07-29-2017, 01:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Yes and while I do not want to argue with you, it will work. What I think maybe you might be missing and it might well be my wording... The relay is on the MAIN power feed to the ac unit. No thermostat connected to any of the air conditioner relays or thermostats. The added thermostat, bought from home depot merely triggers the relay and applies power to the AC that had been already trained to hight and full. Chill. Pretty much like flipping the breaker on and off.

Thanks for education, sounds to easy

Old 07-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

Yes it does.. It almost makes me think it IS too easy!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB

Tags
thermostat