Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #1

Addition of hitch receiver and cargo carrier to Flagstaff ePro 14fk, the epilogue

Using a modified, multi-fit Reese hitch receiver kit, a hitch extension, a lot of hardware, not included in the hitch kit, and drilling holes in the two longitudinal frame beams, we succeeded getting a 2 inch receiver added to the TT. We then needed to narrow the width of the cargo basket by 2⅛ inches to clear the rear ladder, fully. The good news, only redesigning, metal cutting, and drilling were required, meaning, no welding!

We plan to transport a small inverter generator and/or a Dometic Veranda Room kit on this cargo basket, which should be a total of less than 90lbs. We would not attempt to tow with this addition. Yes, we’re crazy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	226963

Views:	462
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	226964

Views:	393
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	226965
Old 04-15-2020, 01:58 PM   #2

did you think about shortening the ladder a bit?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:56 PM   #3

That looks like a nice installation. Can you please tell me how much the cargo rack weighs and how wide it was before you shorten it. Jay
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
did you think about shortening the ladder a bit?

No. We didn’t wish to compromise the ladder and the change to the width of the cargo carrier was minimal.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
That looks like a nice installation. Can you please tell me how much the cargo rack weighs and how wide it was before you shorten it. Jay

Thanks! The cargo rack weighs about 25 lbs and was originally 48” wide. It is now just a fraction of an inch less than 46”. It’s built from aluminum extrusion, with a 2” steel ‘spine’. It’s rated at 500lbs when mounted directly on a vehicle. Mounted in the rear of the trailer, we will be using at less than one-fifth of its rating. Before we bought the trailer last October, we used it on the class IV hitch on our Escape for a driving trip from Illinois to the Pacific Northwest last September. We selected this cargo carrier because it was extremely light, so we could easily remove it when not in use.

Since we cannot use it on our tow vehicle with the travel trailer attached, we thought of repurposing it as a rear carrier for a generator for boondocking, since we do not use a truck bed we can use for extra cargo.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:27 AM   #6
Rookie

That looks rally nice! Did you take any pictures of the install and hitch mounting?
Old 04-16-2020, 02:48 PM   #7

Looks nice , but can the bumper handle that extra weight? Don't for get to add the hitch, cargo and what you carry. I know they can not handle to much weight. I wanted to put a bike rack on mine and I had to reinforce the bumper before I could and that did weigh less than what you are going to carry. Might want to check into that before you carry the generator and end up finding out you lost it somewhere on the road.
Hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamerjk View Post
Looks nice , but can the bumper handle that extra weight? Don't for get to add the hitch, cargo and what you carry. I know they can not handle to much weight. I wanted to put a bike rack on mine and I had to reinforce the bumper before I could and that did weigh less than what you are going to carry. Might want to check into that before you carry the generator and end up finding out you lost it somewhere on the road.
I was wondering the same thing. That trailer has an ultralight frame and as far as I know, the bumper has the typical thin metal with weak welds.
Without some additional welding and reinforcement, the bouncing load will cause the bumper welds to fail, especially since the platform holds the weignt farther away from the trailer and the trailer has no shocks.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:06 PM   #9

The receiver is frame mounted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I was wondering the same thing. That trailer has an ultralight frame and as far as I know, the bumper has the typical thin metal with weak welds.
Without some additional welding and reinforcement, the bouncing load will cause the bumper welds to fail, especially since the platform holds the weignt farther away from the trailer and the trailer has no shocks.
The modified receiver is mounted to the two parallel, longitudinal frame members, with multiple ˝” automotive bolts on each side. Lastly, zoom in on the photos, to see that there is a nice gap between the rear bulkhead of the trailer and the cargo carrier.

The photo shows the receiver system bolted to the frame, forward of the ‘bumper, just prior to the final coat of black paint on the mounting area and bolt heads.

Also, we considered considered gross weight of the assembly and maximum payload, as well as cantilever stress. That is why we are using a multi-ton rated hitch receiver system to carry a tiny fraction of its rating and a carrier, rated at 500 lbs, to carry less than 18% of its rating.

ICYW, the bottom of new assembly is well above the bottom of any of the holding tanks and the bottom-mounted spare wheel. We also will stencil a “Cannot be Used for Towing” and a maximum payload rating onto the rear of the receiver system.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1294D181-8747-4BF7-B3B4-1FD8DB3ACAAB.jpeg
Views:	1890
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	227031  
Sarahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:52 PM   #10

A bit more involved, but greater capacity:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1031894

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahcat View Post
Using a modified, multi-fit Reese hitch receiver kit, a hitch extension, a lot of hardware, not included in the hitch kit, and drilling holes in the two longitudinal frame beams, we succeeded getting a 2 inch receiver added to the TT. We then needed to narrow the width of the cargo basket by 2⅛ inches to clear the rear ladder, fully. The good news, only redesigning, metal cutting, and drilling were required, meaning, no welding!

We plan to transport a small inverter generator and/or a Dometic Veranda Room kit on this cargo basket, which should be a total of less than 90lbs. We would not attempt to tow with this addition. Yes, we’re crazy.

Attachment 226963
Attachment 226964
Attachment 226965
Nice job but 1 warning. My buddy added a beefed up receiver to his 5th wheel and a platform. The issue was that the platform being mounted low like that bottomed out a couple of times when entering or leaving somewhat steep drives. He had to buy an adapter to raise the platform. Be careful when entering drives that have a larger than normal slope.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Nice job but 1 warning. My buddy added a beefed up receiver to his 5th wheel and a platform. The issue was that the platform being mounted low like that bottomed out a couple of times when entering or leaving somewhat steep drives. He had to buy an adapter to raise the platform. Be careful when entering drives that have a larger than normal slope.
Quite true. We are planning to add a 6-8” riser to the receiver, but until we knew we would succeed with the receiver mounting, we didn’t want to incur the expense. We will be buying the riser before we actually take this on the road.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:13 PM   #13

Looks like you did your homework!! Good luck and enjoy your travels.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:09 PM   #14

Thanks for the reply Sarahcat. The rack that I am currently working on installing is 60”. I need that much length to carry my mini bike that weighed about 100 pounds. Or I can carry my generator, also about 107 pounds. Or a 100 pounds of firewood. Because my rack will stay mounted with the possible exception of winter storage, it will be directly bolted to the frame in 2 places. For my use, that results in a lighter installation than putting on a hitch and plugging into the receiver. I will post pictures when I am done. Jay.
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #15

Very cool! Can you post a pix of the other side (with the hitch extension tube)?

Did you start with this hitch...Reese Towpower 37042 Class III Multi-Fit Receiver Hitch or a different/better one? That one claims to extend to 43" and I think the frame beams on the EPro/GeoPro are 60" so you needed at least a 18" hitch extension tube (or longer)?
gtbee80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #16

Be sure when you have that generator on the rack while traveling, that it is well locked down, I mean security lock down. Theres incidents out there that travelers were simply stopped at red lights and had their unsecured generators stolen right off the rack, and didn't even know it.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cargo, flagstaff, hitch