Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #1

Air Compressor System for Airbags

I have a factory installed Firestone Airbag set up on our Lexi, with the manual fill valves, one on each side. As we all know, they tend to leak down over time.
Priced the Firestone compressor set up, very expensive.
Thinking about making my own using one of the ViAir compressors, one of the less expensive ones, routing my own lines, with a momentary type rocker switch to power it when needed. Figure I could make a home made system for less than half of a Firestone system.
Anyone of you ever made your own set up?
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:42 PM   #2
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

just get the Airone with remote. Easy install and much less expensive.
$302 less a $75 rebate
Lets you adjust pressure while driving so you can easily adapt to road conditions. Same $75 rebate and only $290 on Amazon.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:09 AM   #3

Prices are OK, but good Viair will run me around 75 bucks, an Air Lift control panel with gauge about 65 bucks , and local sourced hose and fittings about 25 bucks.
A small Viair will do nicely as I carry a 110 volt compressor for tires. Viair will be mounted permenantly and just used for air bags, thus the cheaper 75 buck one.
Grumpy

Old 04-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Prices are OK, but good Viair will run me around 75 bucks, an Air Lift control panel with gauge about 65 bucks , and local sourced hose and fittings about 25 bucks.
A small Viair will do nicely as I carry a 110 volt compressor for tires. Viair will be mounted permenantly and just used for air bags, thus the cheaper 75 buck one.
Grumpy
It's the wireless remote and being able to change on the fly while driving that sold me on the Wireless One. Now if I can just figure out how to have it control the 2 Firestone Airbags AND the Reese Airborne Airbag at the same time. I'm thinkin' having them all be the same PSI would be OK. My fear is this won't work because the airhose to the pinbox would need to be loose and free to move with the fifthwheel, thus it would be subject to super leakage. Oh well, the bed bag control is still very nice.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #5

I keep a small Craftsman in the trailer and use that to service airbags and anything else needing air. Another option would be a small 12 volt unit kept in truck cab.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
I keep a small Craftsman in the trailer and use that to service airbags and anything else needing air. Another option would be a small 12 volt unit kept in truck cab.
I already carry a Sears Air Boss 110 volt compressor for tires. Just a pain to drag it out to add a few lbs of air to air bags. Just trying to piece togather a 12 volt system using seperate components rather then spending 300 bucks for a Firestone or similar setup.
Just was wondering if anyone had done their own, similar install.
Grumpy

Old 05-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #7

Automation cost a lot of $$$$.

I adjust the pressure of the air bag levellers with my 19$ manual bike airpump, with pressure gauge included, bought at Wally.

Works fine!
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #8

There is another thread on this same subject in "TV's,hitches.etc that was posted yesterday.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbags