Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
F150/Wildwood

Another bicycle transport solution

Thanks to a creative posting I saw earlier, we made the decision to carry our bikes inside our TT, allowing me full use of the truck's empty bed for other things, like coolers, firewood and extra water.
Attached are two pictures of what I built from scratch, using parts from around the shop. Had to buy a few little fasteners of the right size, but each bike brace costs about 4 dollars. We found this to be the ideal solution. The two floor mats, placed upside down above our dining table, eased the notion of dirt/grease getting on the surface.
There would be minor adjustments made for any third set I would need, but only in the arrangement of a few washers and more wing nuts. The threaded bolt is a 12" stick of 3/8 inch bar, cut in half for the two bikes.
I also put a strap across the rear tires, securing the back halves together .
TV: F150
TT: Forest River Wildwood 2015.
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2716.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	114338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	114339  
Tmckamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:49 AM   #2

That looks pretty cool.
You have come up with an option I might have to seriously consider.

I am trying to figure out how to take our bikes with us without having to throw them in the bed of the truck each and every time. And I don't want to scratch up the inside of the camper if they are just placed in there with some sort of support or stabilizing. Might need plywood instead of the thin luan that is in there now
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

We also needed to carry three bikes (two adult and one child) in our 23LB. The luan sheets under the dinette cushions were not up to the task, so I took a 2x6 and notched it to fit over the aluminum tube framing. The 2x6 is held in place with two 6" quick clamps from HF. I attached two standard fork mounts to the 2x6 for the two adult bikes. The child's bike and the two adult bike front tires sit between the two adult bikes. The child bike is held in place with a strap and all bikes are covered with a moving blanket.

The bike mount fits into the storage area under the dinette seat when not in use.

The mount held great during a drive up Monte Sano Mountain which has some hairpin turns. Bikes did not shift at all and reattaching the front tires takes just a few minutes. One of the best parts is that the walkway is not blocked.

I will post pictures of the installation soon.

'09 BMW X5 xDrive35D (TV)
'15 Porsche Cayenne Diesel (Wife's)
'15 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB (TT)
MudyOvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #4

Mines a little simpler.
I screwed a piece of 2x2 to a 2 ft long piece of 2x6.
Cut the 2x2 to the width of a standard fork and drilled a hole through it for the
axle cinch bolt on a quick release system.
Cost me nothing. All scrap.
I use it when I need it. Just bungee the bicycle to something in case of an emergency stop.
The 2 ft long 2x6 keeps it pretty stable.

Similar to yours.

Tags
sport