Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #1

Anyone ever get into this area under TV?

We have a new Silver Lake 29K2S - I'd like to put in a "decent" set of speakers just for the TV. Don't really even want to mess with the Furrion audio system that is probably best left just as-is and used as a cheap radio.

There's this nice open area on the paneling in the area under the TV, over the fireplace, that seems like a really swell place to put some speakers...but I'm not sure from a casual lookover and poking at things as to how one would get in there. I suppose there's a way that the fireplace pops out...?

Just curious if anyone happens to know an easy or at least low-damage way to get access to that...or if it's just full of stuff and I should leave it alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	234983  
Wootings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #2

I have the same set up in my Cardinal 5er. Mine came with a soundbar in the space above the fireplace. Great sound for the TV and also bluetooth for connecting a separate music source. If you need to get to the area behind the cabinet, the face of the fireplace lifts up and off, then four screws secure the rest of the assembly. Very easy removal/replacement.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:57 PM   #3

Awesome, thank you - I'll give that a try and see what I can see.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #4

I too was going to suggest taking the fireplace out so you would have easy access.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:31 AM   #5

My Crusader has a similar setup. The sound bar is in a shelf above the fireplace. Taking the fireplace out is no big deal. 2 screws that hold the glass front are on top. Four screws that hold the unit into the opening, and there's a huge open hole behind. Some newer units have been putting outside access doors to create a cabinet in that space. I bought a subwoofer and installed it behind the fireplace. Works great. Sound bar had a plug in for it. Hardest thing was figuring out how they screwed down the sound bar. One suggestion when reinstalling the fireplace, put a dab of Elmer's on the screws. I had problems with them coming loose going down the road. Acts like Loctite.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:45 AM   #6

Thanks all - I did get in behind there and scoped out setting up a good sound system. Tons and tons of space...like, I can't believe they "wasted" that much space. They could easily have at least made a big drawer there above the fireplace.

Also, once I was in there, I saw this (photo)...

The original hole for running cables looked like someone had just punched their fist through...and then they did something that pulled the cables on a little run up and to the right

I know it likely doesn't make any difference...but seriously. Ever hear of a hole saw?

And also, there was that one sizeable 2-part wire just sitting there with no cap or anything on it. No idea what it's for...or if it was hot...but again, seriously? I taped the end up before putting everything back together

Have found a number of issues like that. Obviously I'm aware of the fact that my Silver Lake isn't exactly a top-of-the-line model...but there have been some fairly amazing instances of DGAF that kind of blow my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200727_1641318[1].jpg
Views:	113
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	235102  
Old 07-29-2020, 09:10 PM   #7

Wootings,
Your Silver Lake is the same as our East to West, made at the same factory but SL is the label for Camping World or Gander, can't remember which. If you contact them you may be able to find out what that uncapped wire is for. Our fireplace was replaced while we were camping in Shipshewana and it was a mess on ours too.
Good Luck
Bob
Old 07-29-2020, 09:49 PM   #8

They build these as fast as they can, time is money after all. That means it is a lot faster to bash a hole in the wall with a hammer than it is to drill or cut it nice and neat. With it hidden inside the wall it doesn’t show so the ugliness doesn’t matter and as far as the wires are concerned an ugly hole is just as affective as a pretty hole. Better craftsmanship and attention to detail would result in prettier work in these unexposed areas, it would increase the cost though so most buyers don’t mind.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:01 AM   #9

My Crusader was full of sawdust everywhere. Behind the fireplace, in the furnace compartment, around the water pump. Every time I open up an area to work on something I know I'll have to vacuum out the sawdust first.

Former Montana owner
Old 07-30-2020, 09:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooiebob View Post
Wootings,
Your Silver Lake is the same as our East to West, made at the same factory but SL is the label for Camping World or Gander, can't remember which. If you contact them you may be able to find out what that uncapped wire is for. Our fireplace was replaced while we were camping in Shipshewana and it was a mess on ours too.
Good Luck
Bob
Yeah, and the "Silver Lake" branding is much, much smaller than the East to West branding on the trailer - like you would be forgiven for not really noticing the Silver Lake bit.

Obviously we got all the sawdust shaking out of the walls too, which is to be expected...what's kind of annoying for us is all the tiny little curls of aluminum all over the place from drilling/screwing into aluminum throughout the trailer. Sawdust isn't going to hurt anything, but we don't need our dogs to be licking up bits of aluminum...
Old 07-31-2020, 10:05 AM   #11

The other problem you may find with the manufacturers lack of cleanup is plastic contamination in the water lines which can hold open check valves and plug up the faucet screens. Same goes for propane lines. I have had a piece of plastic plug up the refrigerator jet on my motor home. Just some things to keep in mind when an appliance doesn't seem to be working properly.

Former Montana owner
Old 07-31-2020, 10:15 AM   #12

Yeah good point.

I'll probably start working on my stereo mod next week - will post when it's all done