Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #1

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Auxiliary Water Tank (in the truck)

Does anyone have any recommendations for setting up an auxiliary water tank in the truck?

We do a lot of camping without full hook-ups and often use two 6 gallon water jugs to refill the water tank on the RV. This is not convenient and involves a lot of spillage and more hassle that I would like.

The plan is to develop a 20+ gallon tank setup for the back of the truck and basically leave it in the back of the truck permanently.

This setup would allow us to carry a lot of water for an extended stay (60+gallons). I can only imagine one situation when this would be necessary... our trip to the Nevada desert.

The setup would also allow us to travel with very little water in the RV (and none in the truck), but then we setup camp I can drive to the water station at the forest service campgrounds and fill up the tank on the water tank on the truck. This should allow us to carry less water en-route to many campsites and fill up when we get there (remember there is no water at the campsites - just a watering station). We should save some gas with this set-up so it should pay for itself with the high and rising cost of gas.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Darren
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #2

you would have to set up some sort of a siphoneing device so you can transfer the water from the truck to the camper.

I would think you could get a 15 to 30 gallon clear tank with a hole in the top and use one of those auto siphoning hoses to tranfer the water from one tank to the other - the only part I would be concerned with is filtering to the water from one tank to the other.

I know the company I work for needed a water tank we went to Tractor Supply and bought one of the huge water tanks but I think in your case that maybe a bit of overkill.

Mobile Water Tanks that Fit in the Back of a Pickup Truck

I did a search on Metacrawler for "water tank in back of truck" and came up with a bunch of places that sell water tanks
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #3

Here is what I use. I keep the tank in the bed of my truck. I Attached a 12V. R.V. pump, to an old R.V. water hose and run the pump, off my truck 12v accessory outlet. My FW is in storage, so I have no pics ( the tank set-up is inside the FW).

High Country Water Tank Saddle Rack Combo - Horse.com
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #4

A cheap option is 55 gal plastic barrels, I see them in my area on Craigslist for about $20 each. Food grade from a local bakery, claim to hold oatmeal, flour etc. Rense em out good, a bit of bleach and get a 12v pump, your in business
Old 02-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
A cheap option is 55 gal plastic barrels, I see them in my area on Craigslist for about $20 each. Food grade from a local bakery, claim to hold oatmeal, flour etc. Rense em out good, a bit of bleach and get a 12v pump, your in business
tonyz is right, make sure container is made of a non-toxic material.....
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #6

Thanks for the info!

I would have never considered horse tanks - that is an interesting option and one that I am considering.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post
Thanks for the info!

I would have never considered horse tanks - that is an interesting option and one that I am considering.
you can also buy NEW CLEAN never used plastic 55's from your local oil distributer.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #8

Finished -- H2O Tank installed

Found this tank on Amazon w/ free shipping!

The tank is a 30 gallon made by Valterra. The tank is only 8" deep, so it does not take up much real estate in the back of the truck bed. We 'hydro tested' the tank to see if she's water tight then put in a little pink RV antifreeze until we're ready to camp in a few weeks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1232.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	10833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1236.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	10834  
Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Found this tank on Amazon w/ free shipping!

The tank is a 30 gallon made by Valterra. The tank is only 8" deep, so it does not take up much real estate in the back of the truck bed. We 'hydro tested' the tank to see if she's water tight then put in a little pink RV antifreeze until we're ready to camp in a few weeks.

thats an amazing tank you got there Darren, it is so clean and clear I dont even see it

Let's see the pictures of it in the bed - I am intrested to see it
Old 03-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #10

Thanks, Matt.

I looked at a lot of options before going in this direction. The tank is 60" wide and requires a bit of finesse to get it in place - so this is a semi-permanent install. I don't plan on removing the tank unless there is a very compelling reason.

We're looking forward to trying it out on our upcoming outing. The ABS tanks do not have inlet or outlet drains installed, so I had to cut in 3 holes for the water fittings. The one on the top for fill is near drivers side for easy filling. The drain fittings are on the left and right sides of the tank ( two 3/8 fittings running to 1/2" pex "T" fitting then to a hose nozzle) - I figure that the tank will be able to drain fairly well when the truck is leaning to the left or right.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks, Matt.

I looked at a lot of options before going in this direction. The tank is 60" wide and requires a bit of finesse to get it in place - so this is a semi-permanent install. I don't plan on removing the tank unless there is a very compelling reason.

We're looking forward to trying it out on our upcoming outing. The ABS tanks do not have inlet or outlet drains installed, so I had to cut in 3 holes for the water fittings. The one on the top for fill is near drivers side for easy filling. The drain fittings are on the left and right sides of the tank ( two 3/8 fittings running to 1/2" pex "T" fitting then to a hose nozzle) - I figure that the tank will be able to drain fairly well when the truck is leaning to the left or right.
hope you realize the amazing tank was a joke - cause your pictures are not of the tank but some 2x4's on a saw horse with the Pex and the place where the tank is going to be mounted in the bed of your truck
Old 03-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #12

I got that....

Don't have any photos showing the tank well - here is one of the tank before it was 'mated to the under plumbing.'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1234.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	10862  
Old 03-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep
thats an amazing tank you got there Darren, it is so clean and clear I dont even see it

Let's see the pictures of it in the bed - I am intrested to see it
Black thing with the yellow strap and the drain in the bottom at the front of the bed 😊
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #14

This is a 45 gal "portable" water tank from CW:

New World Mfg - Portable RV Fresh Water Tank: 45 Gallon - CW1605 - Pumps & Tanks - Camping World

It folds up small when not is use and can wit in the truck bed or back of a SUV...or even on the roof as shown...for easy siphoning.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #15

wit=fit
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #16

I'd recommend using half-moon tank used in livestock trailers. They typically are put on the roof, but the truck bed works well also; they have a top fill and a bottom hose bib for drawoff. A small RV water pump will put it into your RV tank. Here's a link for the one I bought:
Barn & Trailer - Trailer Water Tanks - Half-Moon Hay Rack Water Caddy: Ranch City

48 gal, $110
pabombar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #17

Whatever tank you decide, from 55 gal food-grade barrel to semi-permanently mounted tank, I'd second the 12V pump. I picked up a 12V boat bilge pump for $25 from a Boat N RV store near me (I know, we don't buy full units there, but they've got a heck of a parts dept,) and hooked up a section of water or garden hose to the outlet. Then you can just drop it in the tank with its wiring harness plugged in to your truck or TT, turn it on and pump 'er out. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #18

I too grew tired of using 5 gallon cans to fill the freshwater tank. I just picked up a 55 Gallon plastic barrel from Craigslist. It had Apple Juice concentrate in it so it's food grade. 15 bucks and im buyin a submersible pump for around 50 bucks. If anybody looks into "inline" style pumps be carefull most of them require adding oil (vegetable) for priming. Too much work for me i'll just cut a hole into the top big enough to drop the submersible pump in and power with the Honda.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote