Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #1

Awning Protector $20

I was concerned about our Florida sun deteriorating my awning but didn’t want pay $100 plus for a snap on cover. My TT sits uncovered when home.

Made one out of two 10ft sections of light weight sewer pipe cut to 7 ft each. Added a flap to cover the first couple of inches where the awning connects to the trailer. (This seems to be an unprotected area with the ones readily available).

This is a rather simple project. If you have access to a table saw it might take an hour to complete. Maybe twice that with a jig saw but still doable.

The sewer pipe was more flexible than I thought it would be and snaps over the awning nicely. Used 4 inch pipe and 2 layers of heavy aluminum ac duct tape for the flap hinge. Clean the pipe with alcohol first and rub the tape good with a squeegee ( friction heat helps bond the tape glue).

I don’t intend on using it while traveling but with a couple of Velcro straps on either end I don’t see an issue for those wondering.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	196355Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0410.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	196356Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0404.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	196357Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0407.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	196358Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	381.8 KB
ID:	196359
2ondago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Very ingenious, and inexpensive too. Some might say it’s a cheap fix, but your idea is creative and using the word “cheap” is an insult.

Good work.

By the way....if I needed your invention it would be to keep the ice and snow off our awning.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:35 AM   #3

I love the idea. Very practical engineering application. Would 4in pipe fit into the bumper to stow and did you have to overlap with the existing wider area or just butt the ends together and cut it off?

I may try this out, maybe added eternabond to the foil tape for a finished look to match the PVC.

Thanks for sharing!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning