Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2022, 07:55 AM   #1

back up camera install

We recently purchased a Rockwood Signature 8338bh. Specs stated back up camera prepped. I presumed this meant wired but when I went to have a 360 view system professionally installed I was informed that it was not pre-wired it simply had a plate in the back-up camera spot and labor costs for the system would be 4-5X original quote. We're talking a substantial amount of $$. Is the installer correct? I can't find any definitive info on this subject. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 09:40 AM   #2
Retired Panpsychist

Most backup/observation cameras can be powered from one of the high-mounted rear marker lights adjacent to the camera's mounting location. Of course, that means that for the camera to be operable, the TT needs to be plugged into the TV and the TV's parking lights need to be on (not on "Auto").

IMHO, it seems excessive that a 4x-5x increase in labor cost would be needed to run a wire from the light to the camera location. To me, that may indicate:
  1. they think they need to run a wire from a new circuit on the electrical panel or the battery;
  2. they are trying to enhance their revenue;
  3. they are not familiar with the simplicity of the install;
  4. they don't want to take-on the job.
If any of the above four items are true, it's time to look elsewhere. Get another reputable outfit to give you a quote, since you now know that power needs to be run.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 09:53 AM   #3

You specifically said a 360 view system. Does that mean more than one camera for an all-around view?

All RV cameras that I am aware of use the RV's running lights to get power. That is why they are all located next to - or in some cases replace - the RV's running lights. (when replacing it, it is with a system that incorporates a camera with the light)

In takes only minutes to tap into the RV's wiring system to hook up a camera. Even with 3 or 4 extra cameras you should be talking less than 30 minutes of labor time (for the actual wiring).

IMO, they are either ignorant of the procedure or are trying to take advantage of you.

yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 11:54 AM   #4

TY both for your quick replies, makes sense to me. Rear marker light in inches above rear bracket. Side markers are front & back only and placed low so 360 system may be a not go. Small town area with really only one option for install and they work mostly on car/truck sound systems. I don't like to mess with electrical but I'll check out some u-tube on the subject.
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 12:08 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk View Post
TY both for your quick replies, makes sense to me. Rear marker light in inches above rear bracket. Side markers are front & back only and placed low so 360 system may be a not go. Small town area with really only one option for install and they work mostly on car/truck sound systems. I don't like to mess with electrical but I'll check out some u-tube on the subject.
I suggest you take a good look at this business. They have so many selections of rear AND side camera systems…….including wireless which I’ve been using for 2 years with ZERO troubles.

https://www.tadibrothers.com/?gclid=...xoCdkUQAvD_BwE

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera, camera