Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 06:25 PM   #1

Back up camera wiring help

I did search and didn't find an answer to my specific question. I plan on installing a wired backup camera to my 21SS Roo. For easy intall, I'd like to mount it to the tail light on the rear driver's side because I can access the tail light wiring inside the storage compartment and mount the camera to the license holder. I know I need hot for the reverse and ground, but am not sure what is what for my TT. I took a picture. looks like I have green, black and white coming from the light, but I'm not sure which to use. I took a picture which is hopefully more or less clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0732.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	85554  
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #2

Does your Roo actually have wiring for backup lights? Our Vibe did not. Three wires as shown would only provide stop/tail lights. I wired the positive camera lead to the running lights. It allows me to turn the camera on by using the running/marker light position of the TV light switch. I can use it for backing or any time I wish see what is to my rear in traffic. PM if you need color code ID (I would need to look).
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #3

Ahh, I guess I assumed that it had reverse lights (and you know what they say about that). I guess wiring it to the running lights would work. I would really appreciate the color code ID.
stairs, and counting...
Old 08-14-2015, 01:23 AM   #4
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Use a test light or meter to know for sure. But it does look like the white is more than likely your -ground. Black may be the hot for parking lights and the green turn/brake.
You could pull the lense off outside and see what color wire goes where.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestion about removing the lens. Looks like you are right about the white, it connects to a metal piece on the bulb holder. Both black and green go to the bulb.
stairs, and counting...
Old 08-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #6

I have a voltmeter but am not very good at using it. I got it out and turned the selector to DC and turned the running lights on. With the bulb removed, I touched one probe to the ground wire and the other probe first to one terminal under where the bulb normally sits and it read 8 (volts DC I am assuming). Then I touched the other terminal and it still read 0. I am assuming that the first terminal (where the black wire terminates) is the one for the running lights, so I should wire my positive wire from the camera to the black wire. Is this correct?
stairs, and counting...
Old 08-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #7

Have you considered a magnetic mounted wifi or bluetooth camera? I saw one sell for just over $100 lately, but I imagine you can find one cheaper. You can also use one smart phone as a camera and another as a remote viewer. Find a smart phone mount that you can attach to the back.
jmichaelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #8

Quote:
I touched one probe to the ground wire and the other probe first to one terminal under where the bulb normally sits and it read 8 (volts DC I am assuming). Then I touched the other terminal and it still read 0. I am assuming that the first terminal (where the black wire terminates) is the one for the running lights, so I should wire my positive wire from the camera to the black wire. Is this correct?
your voltmeter should give you a Positive + and a Negative - indication when using the black probe for negative and red probe for positive. From any bare metal point on the trailer, or sticking the black probe on the metal part of the bulb holder, with your lights on use red probe to find a wire that should give you 12 volts (or close to that). The Pos indicator is usually BLANK on the meter, but a Neg - indicator will show on the meter screen if your probes are reversed. ANything metal on the trailer will always be the negative grounded side of the battery.

I have my license plate camera hooked to my tail lights, so anytime my lights are on the camera is on.

You will need a long wire to go from camera to display. If you need something longer than what is supplied, order from MCMelectronics.com

Here is a link to a 30 footer for instance...
30' Composite Video Cable;rg59; 75ohm | PSG00565 | Distributed By MCM

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelo View Post
Have you considered a magnetic mounted wifi or bluetooth camera? I saw one sell for just over $100 lately, but I imagine you can find one cheaper. You can also use one smart phone as a camera and another as a remote viewer. Find a smart phone mount that you can attach to the back.
Thanks, but I am staying away from wireless as they don't carry signal well over distance.Actually, that is not entirely correct, as I am running a hard wired video cable from the trailer camera to the wireless transmitter I have installed in my TV backup camera, so I am actually wired and wireless. I will unplug my TV video camera and plug in my trailer wire when I am using it.
stairs, and counting...
Old 08-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Looks like a Stab Jack switch. You an get 12 from there to power the camera all of the time. Use your meter to find the 12 volts.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #11

I added backup lights to my tt and the wire was yellow and was already at the rear.

Wildwood 241QBXL
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #12

I bought a $100 wireless baby monitor at Walmart. I mounted the camera in a magnetic parts bowl. I place it on my truck license plate while hooking up to my tt. I place it on the tt's rear bumper while backing into a site. Another advantage is that the monitor has a built in microphone so that I can hear the wife if she is helping to spot me. I get great reception with it. My tt is 35' and my tv is a supercab with 8' bed.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring, back up camera