Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #1

Banks AutoMind Programmer

Anyone know anything about the Banks AutoMinder Programer? I have a 2008 F350 Diesel, have no problem with power but would like a little better fuel mileage.
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #2

Just did the Banks Ram Air and the Ottomind on my 2008 6.4 F-250. I'm using the Sport tune in it and it definitely lowers the rpms on the hiway. Reprograms the tranny for lower shifting thresholds. We towed our 19rr this weekend and we got 12.4. Didn't use the Tow/Haul switch in the truck alot. When it got a little hilly, we used it, but mostly let the truck do its job. I've still got my DPF for now. Keep in mind however that as long as you have your DPF, your mileage will stink. (sorry)
Am also running Diesel Kleen additive. Given the ULSD fuels and what the damn DPF does tot he oil, every little bit helps. It quiets the chatter down a bit an it seems to run smoother with 8 oz of DK in every fill up.

Sportster
...banks til the dpf comes off
hd87sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #3

Can you remove the DPF? and if you do what will happen, black smoke? I am new to diesels.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #4

DPF CAN be removed - but don't expect Ford to honor your warranty. Mileage gain w/ a DPF delete kit can range from just a couple or 6-8 mpg gains, depending on how you drive it. Being new to the Diesel game myself, I've done a TON of surfing and reading about driving habits, performance enhancements, etc and the biggest thing I've seen is keep your foot out of it. (Under 70 mph, under 2-k rpms)

Two sites I've found extremely valuable are the forums at both www.fordtrucks.com (the 6.4 section) and www.powerstroke.org. Both sites have forums and the users there are eager and knowledgable about the Ford Diesels - everything from the old 7.3's to the new 6.7's.

As for Banks - the Ottomind Tuner will help greatly with the hiway rpm thing as long as you set your cruise at 68-69mph and hang back with the big rigs. After I tuned I actually got 17mpg on the hiway and 14 city - drivin it like a little old lady.
Run an additive too. Some run the Diesel Kleen, others run 2-cycle motor oil. Run something. the new ULSD fuel doesn't have the lubricating qualities of the old fuel.

Having traded my 07 Explorer in on this truck, I'm just tryin to get back up in the same neighborhood from a fuel consumption standpoint. I'm knockin at the door with those numbers but not quite there.
Hope that helps - keep on with the questions too - no such thing as a dumb question.

Sportster
...rollin with the big boys - kinda
Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #5

Sportster, thank you for the reply. I have an 08 F350 with the 6.4, I drive between 60-65 and try to keep the rpms at 15-18k. I have noticed that the shift between 40 and 55 is long, I usually try to run it up slow and at 50 let up and it will manually shift. What does Ford say about the tuners and egr deletes as for warranty?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #6

Depends on your Service Writer. I have a good friend who wrenches on my Harleys who is a Service Writer at Machens Ford in Columbia MO. When I told him I put a Banks tune on it he indicated I just voided my warranty.
Interestingly - Banks doesn't re-write the codes - just modifies em. (according to Banks) You can also back the tune out and re-install the stock tune. (Don't know why ya would - other than takin it in for a
re-flash update)
I'm thinking - just thinking mind you - if you find a good Writer and Tech, you can get away with the tune and the Ram Air. <---IMHO
Surf those forums too - TONS of great information on there from folks with MUCH more experience than I. I just read alot and try to get the most out of what I got myself in to. LOL!

Sounds like you got the "Drivin" part down good enough. Ya learn pretty quick to keep yer foot out of it.
That Banks Ottomind will lower those RPMS a little more too and you'll get a nice power boost to boot.
The up side to these Super Duties is you're bigger than anything else in the dang parking lot, they ride like 12 year old Scotch....smoooooth and they'll pull about anything you put behind it!

I'm happy to help on the Diesel thing too - I don't know everything, not even close, but I been studyin up!

Sportster
...they look cool too - which helps too