Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #1

Barker jack

Just ordered a barker 3500 jack for the rockwood 8316. Tired of waking the dead with the factory LGI power jack. Have heard they are much quieter.
campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfirefun View Post
Just ordered a barker 3500 jack for the rockwood 8316. Tired of waking the dead with the factory LGI power jack. Have heard they are much quieter.
Let us know how that sounds. I too, have a LOUD Lippert electric jack and am wanting to replace it. Between my Cummins diesel and jack, I always get everyone's attention at the campground.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #3

Ordered the barker 3500 jack direct from them on Friday arrived yesterday. I'm in Michigan so not surprised. May have time tonight to try to install and replace the lci dead waker jack
Old 05-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #4

I replaced my LCI with an Odyssey and it is soooo quiet. That Lippert one made everyone stare!
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1651154575.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	29810the old one is the first pic the new are the other three
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2849380997.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	29811   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-188888657.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	29812   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1696012984.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	29813   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3109179643.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	29814  
Old 05-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #6

The LCI uses a horrible design. Mine lasted a year. Replaced it with the Barker 3500. Love it. It should have been standard equipment. I'd have paid the difference.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #7

I also replaced the (LCI)jack with a Barker VIP. The offer still stands to breed the LCIjack in my shop with one of the other defective LCI jacks,then we would have Little LCI Retard Jacks! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #8

I've had my barker jack for 5 years. it's the BEST mod I did to our trailer.
The "up" limit switch went out on it about 2 1/2 years in. Barker sent a new limit switch, Plus a second one "in case the (down) switch went out". Plus a new main power switch, all free. Cost me $14.00 shipping. I will buy another Barker IF I ever need another jack.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Site Team

I got my Barker 3500 jack into today from Amazon. I had read where many units have been damaged in shipping, but mine arrived in good shape externally.

I took the old LCI off and spliced the new Barker wire into the LCI power cord as the Barkers cord wasn't long enough to reach to the junction point on the frame rail where the original LCI's cord was.

Everything went well, but the jack wouldn't work, just the light. I fussed and cussed a little, then went to troubleshooting. I had a good wire connection, but had noticed the up/down switch was loose in the housing a little. I tightened the nut, but still no joy.

After a little more fussing, and not as much cussing, I went ahead and removed the cover to take a look see. The spade terminal had slipped off of the switch. I reattached it and clamped it down a little tighter. Just letting others know what happened in case they encounter similar problems.

All is good with the world now.

The Barker isn't as quiet as I had hoped it would be, but it's still a big improvement over the LCI. It is much faster also. I expect it to last a whole lot longer too. I still have to get used to the up/down on the Barker works opposite the LCI. Up on the Barker means the trailer lifts up as the jack goes down. Up on the LCI meant the jack went up as the trailer went down towards the ground.

Big thanks to everyone here for their suggestions and recommendations.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #10

When we bought our 2010 Keystone Sprinter they threw in an electic jack. Happened to be and LCI. I didn't know any better but it was awful noisey. Took it in for some warranty work and complained about the jack. They replaced it the same model which was a little quieter. Pretty soon it would hardly lift the trailer. Ordered the Barker 3500 and it worked perfectly and very quiet. Lost the sprinter in a fire, took the Barker off and replaced it with the original, then put the Barker back on our new 2703ws which came with another LCI. Keeping the LCI for an anchor if I ever get a boat.
Bob
Old 06-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #11

That's interesting wmtire. I had the exact same experience with my new Barker 3500 when I installed it yesterday. The light worked but not the jack motor. Took the cover off and the power feed wire to the switch had come loose during shipping. I had to tighten the spade connector to make it stay on. They may have had a batch made a little too loose. The power cable for mine was too short as well...thought that was odd but no problem. Up/down is backward to me, too. Seems like a very robust jack,though.
Rotech is offline   Reply With Quote