Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 07:47 AM   #1
Canadian Member

Basement / Pass Through Storage Organization Ideas

I need to get better organized in the pass through storage so I'm looking for ideas for storage bins, dealing with power cables & dog bones, hanging stuff, spray can storage, camping chairs (the kind in a bag), etc.

I know there are lots of creative folks here. Please post pictures of the mods you’ve done to better organize your basement / pass through area.

Thanks.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

clear plastic totes with snap on lids are great for storage, they stack, come in various sizes, and you can see what's in them.
For plumbing and electrical, I use large plastic tool boxes.

Both are available at a number of places.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
Old Enough to Know Better

I have put my cord and water hoses on air hose reels in my last two rigs.
I used to keep my dogbones and etc in the two drawer cabinet but had to switch to a metal tool box in my current unit due too smaller space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REELS.jpg
Views:	2558
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	235504   Click image for larger version

Name:	REELS V2-1.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	235505  
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #4

Over the years we have tried different kinds of bins, shelves, reels, dividers, you name it.
The one constant is, it doesn't matter what you do in these huge spaces, the item you need to get to requires unloading other stuff to get to it!
For us, the best answer was to get rid of all the items we didn't actually use. The rest goes into larger bins where appropriate. Then we usually only have to remove one or two bins to get access to the other stuff. Those large basements are just hard to organize if they are packed. And ours opens up on three sides! Just part of the RV life
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
KSH

I installed peg boards in the passthrough.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman6674 View Post
I have put my cord and water hoses on air hose reels in my last two rigs.
I used to keep my dogbones and etc in the two drawer cabinet but had to switch to a metal tool box in my current unit due too smaller space.
I've used the Harbor Freight hose reels for my power cord, and will be getting one for my water hose as well. Rolling it up and then placing the bungee's on is a PITA.

To the OP, several good suggestions in here but bottom line is only you know what is going to work best for you and your families needs. My current trailer has a fraction of the storage that my previous one had which caused me to re-think everything.
mds47588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:17 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Roll up using over/under and tie with sash cord. Tight sash ties on two sides they never come loose. male to female on water hoses as well. Store in bins or stacked

The ground discs I use under landing gear goes in open rubbermaid bin with x chocks on side.

Everything else in rubbermaid bins.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #8

Milk crates can be handy for some item. Can see what's stored and they stack.
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Over the years we have tried different kinds of bins, shelves, reels, dividers, you name it.
The one constant is, it doesn't matter what you do in these huge spaces, the item you need to get to requires unloading other stuff to get to it!
For us, the best answer was to get rid of all the items we didn't actually use. The rest goes into larger bins where appropriate. Then we usually only have to remove one or two bins to get access to the other stuff. Those large basements are just hard to organize if they are packed. And ours opens up on three sides! Just part of the RV life
Ive used plywood divider to separate off the pass through from the basement. Ive also got a couple of "special areas} for a couple of homemade wooden folding tables and for bins hat hold my fresh water hose and waste hose.

A small bin holds my dog bones/adapter, hose ends, etc.

But NM is correct it always comes down to having to pull out the stuff in the front to access what is behind.

The trick comes in determining which goes where.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #10

Storage

We have a small pass through space, because our TT is a 2109S. My husband uses a child's plastic snow sled with hoses, grill and other things in it in one end of the pass through. It pulls out by the rope attached. In the other end we have stacked plastic bins as mentioned by someone else and a plastic crate. Of course, it's almost always necessary to pull out something you don't need to get what you want.
Eldereaglewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:21 PM   #11
Site Team

I have built two passthru drawers for our last two RV's and they make storing and getting to stuff in the middle a lot easier.

I have a couple of threads here about the mods I've done. If you want to search for them under my user name you'll see what I did.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I need to get better organized in the pass through storage so I'm looking for ideas for storage bins, dealing with power cables & dog bones, hanging stuff, spray can storage, camping chairs (the kind in a bag), etc.

I know there are lots of creative folks here. Please post pictures of the mods you’ve done to better organize your basement / pass through area.

Thanks.
I didn't want to install a reel for my water hose as I thought it took up too much space. So I purchased a plastic wreath box (like the ones for Christmas wreaths) and put my hose in that. Lies flat and doesn't take much space.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:21 AM   #13
Canadian Member

Thanks for all the ideas. Not carrying things you don’t use will be the first step. I don’t carry hoses (water or sewer) in the passthrough. They are kept in separate Rubbermaid bins in the bed of the truck. (I may eventually do the fence post mod.)

I’ll have to get some more bins and arrange them so that the least used items are in the middle.

I’m also thinking I’d like to have a wall-mounted holder for multiple spray cans and mount a holder for paper towels and a box of nitrile gloves. I guess a trip to one of those home organization big box stores is in order.

Any ideas for storing those folding camping chairs in a bag? Or do most people just pile them in the passthrough like we do now?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I have built two passthru drawers for our last two RV's and they make storing and getting to stuff in the middle a lot easier.

I have a couple of threads here about the mods I've done. If you want to search for them under my user name you'll see what I did.
If you have the skills to do this, this can be the best way to do it because the bins never seem to increment evenly so you wind up with dead space. The great part about drawers is that you can get to the stuff “behind” without having to lift the stuff that’s in front of it.

On our little 25’ Travel Trailer there is not a pass through, it’s only from one side because the water heater is on the opposite side. The luggage door that is on the one side is smaller than it could be (might install a bigger one) so it’s very hard to get stuff in and out. I’m planning to build a very deep drawer with some very long full extension slides or on a sliding rail of some kind. Not sure yet but I want to make use of every inch there is.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:10 PM   #15

Ya mentioned the "fence post sewer hose mod" and I realize that this post is regarding pass-thru storage, but that is one of the biggest time saver mods I've done to my trailer.

OK, back to your regular scheduled programming...
mds47588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:14 PM   #16
Paul & Dianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds47588 View Post
Ya mentioned the "fence post sewer hose mod" and I realize that this post is regarding pass-thru storage, but that is one of the biggest time saver mods I've done to my trailer.

OK, back to your regular scheduled programming...
LOL. I have the fence post sewer hose mod, two fence posts with two ten foot RhinoFlex hose sections. I was so proud! No more cheap crappy hose stuck in the rear bumper, nope, we were sewerin’ in style from now on!

So, got to FL last Dec for the winter... and it was... 25’ to the sewer connection... 😢. So, I now have my beautiful fence posts and hose sections and... and 20’ of cheap crappy hose, that I carry in an empty plastic pail that came with cat litter. Some days, you just can’t win!
Old 08-04-2020, 10:49 PM   #17

Storage

itat,
Here is a thread I posted a couple of years ago with the mods I made to try keeping things in one sock or at least where I can find it.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ge-110419.html

I have several pictures posted there and some from other members who showed their ideas. The water hose and power cord are hung on vee "V" hangers (Harbor Freight) mounted on both sides of the passthrough. At the bottom of the rolled up hose I have "cable clamps"(walmart/amazon, etc) to hold things together so I can get the Rubbermaid totes in and out. Oh, use a label maker or somehow label those totes so you know with a quick look what you're grabbing. And label both ends! An update - I figured out a while ago to go to the Dollar Tree store and buy dog or cat collars, they can do the same thing as the cable clamp for only cost of a dollar (hence the store name) and the bite for the tax man.
I also use the collars in my shed to stow air hose and cords.

My grill is in the mortar tub (Home Depot).
My bag chairs are on the 1X2 cross pieces, I'm adding plywood to bridge the gap (Mind the gap!) and make getting them stowed easier.

There are a myriad of ways to get things done shown here on the forum and elsewhere on this great big interweb thingy. I've gone down the rabbit hole in Pinterest looking at ideas for RV, etc.

Yeah, ask the wife how that goes...

Hope this helps some.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:52 PM   #18

The best mod I ever did for my pass through is adding a sliding tray. Now I just pull it out, grab what I need, and slide it back in. Another tip is to mount it on 2x2s, giving you extra storage for flat things I take along. (cornhole game etc) They aren’t cheap but I’ll never be without one.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:10 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I added about double my base,ent storage. Reroute a sink drain and move the wall back, this was 18 months ago. Just this weekend I reorganized the storage, made a shelf to rans my Broil King BBQ making it easier to remove at camp. Use some different storage bins and moved some other things around. I have 4,200 lbs cargo carrying capacity even with what I have I am at 16,000 lbs loaded for 15 days away.

Door side storage

Name:	840AFD8D-1B47-469D-8252-215875B618CD.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	236832

Road Side Storage

Name:	9191CE63-E2EE-407D-BDA0-270FFD7729E1.jpg
Views:	3405
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	236833

Doubling Basement Storage space.

Name:	1AADB451-00A1-4D45-BCFE-6BC32F88B52C.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	236834

Before basement wall removed

Name:	2B362F59-C31F-4179-AC43-F53CCEE76303.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	236836
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:09 PM   #20
Long time camper.

Pass through

I use 4 under bed (marketed for home beds) clear boxes with lids and wheels. Stack 2, 2 deep. One is electrical, one water, misc parts and toys ( floatables). Wheels make it easy to move with little lifting. My hoses and cords I use these,
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...nizers/3295250 Work great. In the rounded front of the pass through I put chairs and a charcoal box. In front of the under bed boxes I keep the small grill, and misc current project parts I also use motion sensor lights, they come on when I open the door. In that front rounded area, I also installed a net bag 12” x 18” for the spray cans, yard guard, insect repellents, various lubricants and cleaners.
Most importantly I have a 3’ metal rod with a hook, to hook and pull stuff to the door, so I don’t have to stick my body there!

SamTummo
samTummo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage