Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2019, 12:57 AM   #1

Battery Disconnect Switch Cherokee 244jr

My 244jr did not come with a battery disconnect switch. I will be installing one this week. There are some devices in the trailer that constantly drain the batteries (such as the CO detector). This causes damage to the batteries and can make it difficult to even operate a powered jack so you can take your RV from a storage facility to your home to power up the batteries. (Long sentence). A battery cutoff switch costs $29.00. This seems like a rediculous oversight on the part of The manufacturer. More to follow as I bust some knuckles putting one in.
Kurt J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:43 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt J. View Post
My 244jr did not come with a battery disconnect switch. I will be installing one this week. There are some devices in the trailer that constantly drain the batteries (such as the CO detector). This causes damage to the batteries and can make it difficult to even operate a powered jack so you can take your RV from a storage facility to your home to power up the batteries. (Long sentence). A battery cutoff switch costs $29.00. This seems like a rediculous oversight on the part of The manufacturer. More to follow as I bust some knuckles putting one in.
Factory battery disconnect switches are often not standard on entry-level trailers, like the Cherokee, along with other features standard on more expensive lines.
You'll find a number of features as options, that are standard on other brand lines.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:19 AM   #3

I agree. It's odd. Our first pop up had one but our current 5th wheel did not. It was my first mod
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #4

Quote:
My forest river lacrosse came with a battery cut off switch but I live in it full-time should the switch be in the in or out position so as to still charge the battery in case of a power outage? Dumb question I know but I’ve never had one that had the battery cut off switch.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdspott72 View Post
My forest river lacrosse came with a battery cut off switch but I live in it full-time should the switch be in the in or out position so as to still charge the battery in case of a power outage? Dumb question I know but Iíve never had one that had the battery cut off switch.
If you live in it full time, the switch should always be on.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:41 AM   #6

I actually bought a disconnect switch to install on my new Rockwood mini-lite before I discovered that it already had one. DUH!
Old 04-27-2019, 06:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodLark-SC View Post
I actually bought a disconnect switch to install on my new Rockwood mini-lite before I discovered that it already had one. DUH!
Thats why you ask questions when buying.I just bought a 2019 rbws 26 flagstaff and they told me there was one but I couldnt find it. So I got on here and ask and some one told me where to look and i found it .But what I dont like about it its on the outside but where the other one was on the inside.We all do some dumb things I do it a lot
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:32 PM   #8

Quote:
A battery cutoff switch costs $29.00.
Putting a battery disconnect switch directly on the battery is a smart move.
Some units come with battery disconnect switches that still allow the battery to be drained. We have one where the only way to cut power to some items is to use a battery switch directly on the battery or remove the negative cable. I'm sure it's a safety feature so that the electronic steps will work and you don't step out and fall to the ground.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:36 PM   #9

I just added a switch at the battery box. I find that it is very convenient to turn it on and off and easy to see.
Ram2500 diesel / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:19 AM   #10
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdspott72 View Post
My forest river lacrosse came with a battery cut off switch but I live in it full-time should the switch be in the in or out position so as to still charge the battery in case of a power outage? Dumb question I know but I’ve never had one that had the battery cut off switch.
If you have the push/pull type battery disconnect pull it out for battery on, push it in for battery off. The disconnect needs to be on to charge the battery. At least that's the way mine is.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:57 AM   #11
Site Team

the semantics are confusing, when discussing battery disconnect switches.

technically, if a disconnect switch is "ON", it's disconnecting the battery from power drains AND being charged by the converter.

technically, if a disconnect switch is "OFF", it allows for 12v battery power to be supplied and the battery to be recharged by the converter.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
the semantics are confusing, when discussing battery disconnect switches.

technically, if a disconnect switch is "ON", it's disconnecting the battery from power drains AND being charged by the converter.

technically, if a disconnect switch is "OFF", it allows for 12v battery power to be supplied and the battery to be recharged by the converter.
The electrician in me says you have that backwards. Off is always disconnected in my world. nothing passing thru the switch.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:13 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The electrician in me says you have that backwards. Off is always disconnected in my world. nothing passing thru the switch.
Cavie, many people get this confused, including me. If I get time this evening I will make up a tutorial on the function and use of battery disconnects....as well as how different ones operate.

Forest River actually has some instructions on several of the types they use on their website. I will incorporate their links into the tutorial

Golf ball-sized hail wouldn't be as destructive if golf balls were just made smaller.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #14
Canadian Member

It is confusing but you can easily figure out what your disconnect switch is doing by checking what's on and what's off in each position.

I'll be adding a Blue Sea Systems ON-OFF switch on my new 5er to cut off all power to everything when it's in the OFF position. Just as I did on my TT, I'll turn it to the ON position when I'm plugged in while in storage and when I'm travelling to ensure the emergency/breakaway brake has power.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
It is confusing but you can easily figure out what your disconnect switch is doing by checking what's on and what's off in each position.
Best to put a multimeter measuring current between a battery cable and the battery and see if the current is indeed ZERO with the disconnect switch in the off position. If it isn't, I would make sure EVERYTHING is on the load side of the switch and not on the battery side. That includes, the breakaway switch, the tongue jack and the smoke/LP detector.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #16

I just recently wired in a small indicator light next to my switch, mostly because I could never remember what position was connected vs disconnected. Out = connected = green light. In = disconnected = no green light. The challenge is real, people!
Skypilot54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:18 PM   #17

I mounted a marine (boat) master switch right on my plastic battery box. Just bolt it on the outside of the plastic box. This is a weatherproof, sealed switch. Ran the Negative cable thru the switch to the trailer frame (where it's connected). Red/Green indicator on the switch is easy to see at a distance. Switched Negative cuts ALL power from (and to) the battery. Switch is less than $20 (on Amazon) and the cable is available anywhere. Switch has been there 15 seasons.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:31 PM   #18

They might be weather proof but they aren't waterproof. I would never mount them where they get direct rain on them.

BlueSea makes the best of these battery switches.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
I mounted a marine (boat) master switch right on my plastic battery box. Just bolt it on the outside of the plastic box. This is a weatherproof, sealed switch. Ran the Negative cable thru the switch to the trailer frame (where it's connected). Red/Green indicator on the switch is easy to see at a distance. Switched Negative cuts ALL power from (and to) the battery. Switch is less than $20 (on Amazon) and the cable is available anywhere. Switch has been there 15 seasons.

-- Chuck
In the case of THIS switch, Off means no current, on means fully functional DC current.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1A9EC983-6F38-41D3-AC6C-DBAAAE6F903A.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	206251  
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diegoís craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:21 AM   #20

I actually went to batteries plus to buy a new battery as the pop up I bought used came with a deeply discharged and abused battery. For $10 I got a part that mounts right on the new batteries negative side hidden in the battery box. You simply loosen a nob on the part to cut power to the trailer then pop the battery box top back on. So far so good , only $10.
MRphotography is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, cherokee, switch