Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 06:57 PM   #21

While not a hitch lock, I have a wheel / boot lock made by Brama, brahmalock.com works well and trailer can't be pulled with it on.
Scottdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #22

Don't lock it. They'll just cost you a bunch and get in anyway.

My son's coach was pried open and it cost him $1500 in repairs. Leave it open and leave nothing inside that can't be replaced by insurance. They're getting in no matter what you lock it with. Never, ever, ever leave a gun in a stowed coach.
Mark N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #23

Hi. We've been burglarized 3 times in 5 yrs. Very depressing. It was sitting in a storage area at condo. No security. We had a alarm that made noice . But they took out battery. Grrr. Anyway, after they took what they wanted they took the fire extinguisher and sprayed everything! What a mess. No finger prints! @#$_&+(/. Took a week to clean.
2witzmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #24

Good God where do you people live? I've been in the same house for 24 years and have never had anything go missing from my house, vehicle, trailer or garage. Almost all of the time my stuff stays unlocked.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #25

You don’t need to spend $250 on a tongue lock. A $30-$40 tongue lock will do just fine. A determined thief will steal your trailer no matter what lock you have on it.
Taking a wheel off in addition to a tongue lock will probably deter most thieves (they will probably look for an easier target).
I’d be more concerned about your prowler, than I would be someone actually stealing the entire trailer. Remove anything from trailer (tools, batteries, electronics, etc) that you really don’t want to replace, and invest in a security system and motions lights.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:51 PM   #26

Leave all compartments unlocked and empty. Get a good hitch lock. A cable through the wheels is a good one also. The more trouble they see trying to get something the less chance of them stealing it.
Leo1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
Good God where do you people live? I've been in the same house for 24 years and have never had anything go missing from my house, vehicle, trailer or garage. Almost all of the time my stuff stays unlocked.
You're lucky, but just like saying "where do you live? I've never been hit by lightning in my life! ", it just comes down to pure, dumb, luck. ESPECIALLY when you don't lock things like your house.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1956 View Post
Leave all compartments unlocked and empty. Get a good hitch lock. A cable through the wheels is a good one also. The more trouble they see trying to get something the less chance of them stealing it.
Steel braided cables are useless against bolt cutters. Watch some You Tube videos about that. 5 seconds, tops.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #29

The problem with trying to electronically protect a trailer is batteries and lack of 110 V power. Any alarm can be silenced in seconds without worrying about neighbors hearing it and investigating. Storage lots are void of ears. Motion lights aren't an option without being hardwired. There's very little battery powered security that can work in a trailer storage lot. Cables and chains can be cut in seconds. Ditto hitch locks. They aren't too worried about making noise or taking too long when nobody is around. Your only real protection is the storage lot you choose. Security lights throughout? Tall fences with barbed wire? Controlled entrance? A good video surveillance system? These things are your only real hope in a RV storage area.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N View Post
You're lucky, but just like saying "where do you live? I've never been hit by lightning in my life! ", it just comes down to pure, dumb, luck. ESPECIALLY when you don't lock things like your house.
The area we live in is so crime free it just not something you even think about. Actually the chance of getting struck by lightning are greater in my area (I live on a hill) than having my stuff taken and I don't walk around holding a lightning rod. I always figured that if someone really wanted into my house they would just kick the door in or smash a window and I would just have two problems.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:15 PM   #31
NXR

Quote:
What was your address again? Kenora is only 1,100 miles from here.

Ray
NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
What was your address again? Kenora is only 1,100 miles from here.

Ray
I don't lock my guns either, makes it easy to get too.

Actually it's the law here that all firearms have to be stored in a locked gun cabinet.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #33
NXR

Quote:
I don't lock my guns either, makes it easy to get too. .
OK, you win.

Ray
NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post
I have this one. Not cheap at all but I don’t worry about someone easily hitching up and taking off.

https://www.provenlocks.com/

I also change the locks on my outside storage to cam locks since the vast majority use the same key.
We have this one as well and no one is taking the 268RKS we have, unless they crane it out.
weRhappycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by weRhappycampers View Post
We have this one as well and no one is taking the 268RKS we have, unless they crane it out.
Pretty much useless because thieves that what to steal your trailer don't even bother hooking up. They use your safety chains looped over the hitch ball and drive off
Old 07-11-2019, 11:52 PM   #36

Our neighbors stopped in downtown St. Louis for lunch. They parked their motorhome w/trailer carrying their 4 seat side x side. Some punks stole it. The lost their extra keys, wallets, prescription glasses, and cell phones, etc. Fortunately the insurance covered it. They eventually found the motorhome, but the trailer and side x side have never been found. It was probably stripped out and sold. They also ripped out the stereo and took the tv. I guess a loud alarm would have helped. Fortunately, they took both of their girls in with them. It makes me sick just thinking about what could have happened. They also lost the handgun they left in the trailer.
bhunt2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:55 AM   #37
Bob n Vic Summer Getaway

I agree with simiHal. I bought the Provenlocks.com lock. Not cheap, but impenetrable. I checked all these different locks out on YouTube and this one was the Proven one.
BobnVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #38

Quote:
Pretty much useless because thieves that what to steal your trailer don't even bother hooking up. They use your safety chains looped over the hitch ball and drive off
That's why they designed the lock to store the majority of safety chains inside the lock. I have one also and the chains hook up inside the lock.

2019 Flagstaff Microlite 25LB
2021 Silverado 3500 HD CCLB
2018 Escalade ESV
2009 CTS-V
mpouls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:53 AM   #39

If a thief really wants something, given enough time and despite any locking mechanism you have.............why I have a good insurance policy!
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:23 AM   #40

I defy any idiot with a prybar to remove this lock. https://www.provenlocks.com/
smittyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, lock, trailer