Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

cam locks and locking your camper

Always seems to be a discussion about cam locks and security issues with keyed alike cam locks on bay and cubbyhole doors.
1 if your trully worried about theft you can buy special keyed alike locks that are your own for about 7 dollars from grainger or the like.
2 or I just seen yesterday you can buy a cam lock with a bicycle type scroll combination.
I believe its just to much of a hassle for rv manufactures to carry 20 or 30 different cam locks to be installed in so many different units and trying to remember what keys and so forth.
just an fyi
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #2

We installed combi locks on all our storage doors it is nice not needing a key to unlock. Have changed the main door lock.

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #3

I replaced my compartment door & outside shower locks with tubular cam locks, all keyed alike. The peace of mind was worth the $34.00 (Including shipping). I purchased them thru Industrial Lock & Hardware. (Cam Locks, cam lock,Tubular locks, Ace locks, Security locks, Cabinet Locks, Furniture Locks, Drawer Locks) More than $7.00 ea, but seem to be high quality tubular locks.

I still carry a CH751 key with me, just in case someone needs it.

I also changed one of the Entry Door latch/lock sets so both doors would be keyed alike. Purchased from RV Locks and More. Easy to match an existing lock set. Simply remove the inside latch handle assembly, and note the Key # inside and order a matching number unit. (RVLocksAndMore | RV Locks | RV Keys | Fastec FIC Locks and Keys)

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:54 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyO
Can you tell me how you changed out the original cylinder lock with the combi lock? Or did the dealer or a locksmith complete that portion?

I called FIC and they said the "tool" is only sold to RV dealers and Locksmiths. Still waiting to hear back from my RV dealer. I called three locksmiths, one an obvious crook with limited info tells me we need to be on site to do this, I just said no thank you. The other two locksmiths, one of them referred me to the other is also still needing to get back to me. so, this does not seem to be a do it yourself as far as removing the lock cylinder itself. Let me know please. Thanks! Joe
2011 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Limited
2018 Highland Ridge 275 Light
Semper Fi
JoeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

What I did, as they say it just keeps honest people honest but these will slow them down abit. As always much easier to just break a window.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...html#post56088

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO
Can you tell me how you changed out the original cylinder lock with the combi lock? Or did the dealer or a locksmith complete that portion?

I called FIC and they said the "tool" is only sold to RV dealers and Locksmiths. Still waiting to hear back from my RV dealer. I called three locksmiths, one an obvious crook with limited info tells me we need to be on site to do this, I just said no thank you. The other two locksmiths, one of them referred me to the other is also still needing to get back to me. so, this does not seem to be a do it yourself as far as removing the lock cylinder itself. Let me know please. Thanks! Joe
Pics of your locks!

Mine have a nut on the back to hold it in place.
Confused.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #7

The FIC locks on mine have nothing like a nut holding it in place. I took two of them out of the doors and looked them over poking and prodding and then when I called FIC, they said there are no common tools to remove the cylinder and that you need a master key fob to put into the cylinder to remove it. So now I'm waiting for three different dealers and two locksmiths to call me back. This seems like such a simple thing to do, that ends up being such a PITA! Ugh!
Semper Fi
Old 07-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
The FIC locks on mine have nothing like a nut holding it in place. I took two of them out of the doors and looked them over poking and prodding and then when I called FIC, they said there are no common tools to remove the cylinder and that you need a master key fob to put into the cylinder to remove it. So now I'm waiting for three different dealers and two locksmiths to call me back. This seems like such a simple thing to do, that ends up being such a PITA! Ugh!
Are you talking about slam latches? If you have slam latches the keys should be different from everyone elses. I
Does you key cylinder look like this?
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #9

funkyjunk, thanks for your reply.

Here is the link to the pictures of what I am trying to achieve. [IMG]/http://s1072.photobucket.com/albums/w380/joey67usmc/Upgrading%20Baggage%20Locks/[/IMG]

Apparently FIC chose to use a master key option in order to remove the stock cylinders of their handle / locks for all doors. I tried a few options to get the cylinder out, just short of slamming it to the ground. So, Now I wait on locksmiths or dealers to assist me...
Semper Fi
Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
funkyjunk, thanks for your reply.

Here is the link to the pictures of what I am trying to achieve. [IMG]/http://s1072.photobucket.com/albums/w380/joey67usmc/Upgrading%20Baggage%20Locks/[/IMG]

Apparently FIC chose to use a master key option in order to remove the stock cylinders of their handle / locks for all doors. I tried a few options to get the cylinder out, just short of slamming it to the ground. So, Now I wait on locksmiths or dealers to assist me...
I may be wrong but I think those are keyed different from the standard baggage keys. In other words they aren't the same key as everyone else. I wouldn't worry about changing the locks out.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #11

Let me first start with an apology, I suspect what I say will not be well liked.
I was (emphasis on was) very interested in changing out the 751's from our new MH. Saw the various websites and utube bids showing how insecure the entire RV industry is. I was ready to buy all new locks keyed alike. While I was filling out the order form I needed to check a dimension on the length of the cam. While measuring I decided to remove one of the locks to get an exact measurement. When I did I realized the door to the compartment has no metal in it, only a 1/8 inch fiberglass half inch foam board and another plastic completing the sandwich. I then realized all it will take to compromise any of my compartment boxes is a 1/4 turn of the lock with a pair of channel lock pliers. The strongest element, the fiberglass will not prevent the lock from twisting.
Recognizing this, I believe I've saved myself the price of locks that really wont prevent a theft. I also recognized I wont be leaving anything of real value in any exterior storage.
Sportracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #12

True, true... I realized that as well. My situation began as a result of me snapping off a bit of the key inside the lock. I thought, well it's a 751 lock, on my model, that is four total locks, two baggage doors and the two for the outside kitchen hatch. I just wanted to perform, what should have been a simple do it yourself upgrade.

But what I'm getting though are RV dealers quoting me a $120 service charge to start or a locksmith stating $10 per lock "estimate" to change out the cylinders. That's a pretty big swing in costs. Unfortunate for me that the locksmith is 1.5 hours away.
Im just saying, If I provide the MFR's name and contact information of the lock and handle, along with pictures of my removed handle and lock and ask them "do you have "Green" Master-Key FOB for this? Then I would expect a yes or no, or yeah, we've done that before, type of response. I'm not a fan of helping some business become authorized as a Fastec certified locksmith at my expense. That Green key sells for $3 online, but you have to be a RV dealer or a locksmith to buy one. It should not be this difficult to change out a silly little lock. Ok, I'm off the soapbox...thanks. :-)
Semper Fi
Old 08-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #13

Thought I'd throw this out, although it's somewhat of an out-of-date thread. I just purchased some cam locks from this organization: Cam Locks,Padlocks and Door Locks Custom Made by Locking Systems. I forgot to make a purchase of a couple of keys and they were very nice to write me and ask, then gave them to me complimentary.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:24 PM   #14

I was a large county Deputy Sheriff for 34 years. From experience, if they want to get in, they will, using little effort and cause great damage. We have nothing inside our campers worth the expense to repair the damage caused. Locks will keep honest people honest. TVs, $300 are cheep compared to the $1,500 door repair.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #15

I can attest that the cabinet door looks will only cause a large repair bill if someone wants in. The sheriff was right. Locks keep honest people honest. That's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #16

Link above now sells cargo door locks that can be keyed to match your Global Link door lock.
BobandArlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgargiullo View Post
I can attest that the cabinet door looks will only cause a large repair bill if someone wants in. The sheriff was right. Locks keep honest people honest. That's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
x2

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #18

Quote:

if you are talking about the cargo door lock, just took the look off and replaced with the combi lock fit perfect.
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #19

I went to Home Depot and found several cabinet locks with the same key code. Changed the out with my 751 locks for about $6.00 each.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:47 PM   #20

I removed all my outside cam locks and installed the type of latch with a handle and no lock. If someone wants in they will cause a lot more damage than it is worth.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic35767_3.gif
Mrpsyko is offline   Reply With Quote