Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #21

I think I may have come up with a lightweight solution for an additional shade area behind the Mini Lite that doesn't involve drilling into the camper, itself. I found some adjustable height tent poles at Cabela's.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...tabsCollection

I'm going to try attaching a piece of PVC pipe to the upright section of the spare tire rack with square u-bolts and slip a 9' pole into that. I can then use a triangle sail with 2 more staked-down poles on the ends to give us a small seating area underneath. As long as there's not much breeze, I think it will work without stressing the trailer. I'll accomplish getting the height and stability I'm seeking from the pole on the bumper.

This whole thing came about because we have a couple of places we camp where our favorite campsites put the awning on the wrong side of the camper to the best views. There's room right behind the camper that's nice for sitting until it gets hot - thus the need for shade.

I'll let you all know if it works.
wannabeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohand View Post
You could also use a ShadePro awning extension. Ours gives us added hours of filtered shade plus privacy. Spending the extra dollars for the zipper type is well worth it for longer awnings, but not necessary if you have 2 people to set it up.

Attachment 176105
Not very expensive. Bought a 15'x8' zipper model online for less than $110
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #23

The shade pro is exactly what I was talking about that I wished I had had on that trip.

As for your idea wannabeowner I think that that would work if you wanted to you could tee off your pipe at the top and then use a larger canopy
Junior11478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeowner View Post
Or, maybe a better question, should we?

We'd like to have the ability to add a rectangular shade sail from the rear, or port side of our Mini Lite in certain campgrounds to have another small shady spot and take advantage of the view. Could we safely install a couple of stainless steel D-rings into the frame at the top of the camper - either on the side edge or roof edge? We'd attach 2 corners of the sail to the camper and use 2 telescoping poles on the outsides edges. Would that work?

We'd rather not carry a free standing canopy if possible, just because of the weight. Is this doable, or unwise?
I am very hesitant to drill into the trailer and as others have said there can be large forces on a sail in heavy wind. Have you thought about getting a couple of 20 ft long 1" wide straps and having them go over the trailer and stake them in the ground on the opposite side? One on each side of the existing awning and right next to the trailer. Would need to check if the top corners of the trailer would be impacted.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:09 PM   #25

While an added awning on the camper may suit some, I much prefer that popup screen room we have. We can put it anywhere on the camp site, including the picnic table. We got it at Gander Mountain a few years back for less than $100. Screen sides can be unzipped in the middle for more access and breezes. Zip it shut to keep bugs out. It folds down to fit in a 30x12x8 carry bag and weighs probably 15 pounds. We just toss it under the dinette table on the road and under the camper at the site if we don't put it up.
'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.
popeye59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeowner View Post
Or, maybe a better question, should we?

We'd like to have the ability to add a rectangular shade sail from the rear, or port side of our Mini Lite in certain campgrounds to have another small shady spot and take advantage of the view. Could we safely install a couple of stainless steel D-rings into the frame at the top of the camper - either on the side edge or roof edge? We'd attach 2 corners of the sail to the camper and use 2 telescoping poles on the outsides edges. Would that work?

We'd rather not carry a free standing canopy if possible, just because of the weight. Is this doable, or unwise?
I see them in use all the time in places like Florida in the winter , people will leave them up for months without damage to awning . so they are find to use BUT if you are in a windy open area they could cause problems . in all the hundreds I've seen in use i have not seen a damaged awning not to say it doesn't happen
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye59 View Post
While an added awning on the camper may suit some, I much prefer that popup screen room we have. We can put it anywhere on the camp site, including the picnic table. We got it at Gander Mountain a few years back for less than $100. Screen sides can be unzipped in the middle for more access and breezes. Zip it shut to keep bugs out. It folds down to fit in a 30x12x8 carry bag and weighs probably 15 pounds. We just toss it under the dinette table on the road and under the camper at the site if we don't put it up.
Or... You can have both. We rarely use our screen tent, but it is nice when the bugs are intolerable.
Nights camped: ‘18 - 27, ‘19 - 27, ‘20 - 30, ‘21 - 49

twohand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #28

Could you clip onto something with heavy duty spring clips? Or, if you're going to use poles in the front, can you use poles next to the trailer and tie them to something or weight them in place? I'd like to do something similar to our 5er which is permanently parked with the whole right side facing the blazing CA sun. Thinking of spring clipping a fabric to the sliders. (sorry if my lingo's not correct.)
Old 06-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #29

Attach the hooks with tape like VHB. The rings would break away before the camper was damaged.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Not very expensive. Bought a 15'x8' zipper model online for less than $110
I need to look at the site more closely. I came up with about $50 more for a smaller size so I clearly missed the details. Thanks for clarifying that!
Old 06-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #31

As for your idea wannabeowner I think that that would work if you wanted to you could tee off your pipe at the top and then use a larger canopy[/QUOTE]

Good idea! I’ll consider that.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #32

Arrow

our privacy/sun shade rolls right up with the awning...

and we have two 'side' shades that we can also attached to make more of a 'private' area, especially while watching outside tv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3866.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	176550  
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSylvia View Post
Could you clip onto something with heavy duty spring clips? Or, if you're going to use poles in the front, can you use poles next to the trailer and tie them to something or weight them in place? I'd like to do something similar to our 5er which is permanently parked with the whole right side facing the blazing CA sun. Thinking of spring clipping a fabric to the sliders. (sorry if my lingo's not correct.)
I hadn't thought of that. That might work. Thanks for the idea!
Old 06-19-2018, 05:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
our privacy/sun shade rolls right up with the awning...

and we have two 'side' shades that we can also attached to make more of a 'private' area, especially while watching outside tv
I like those privacy shades! I can see that being helpful on the awning side.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsbad View Post
Attach the hooks with tape like VHB. The rings would break away before the camper was damaged.
I'm not familiar with VHB tape but I'll check it out. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #36

Screened Canopy

Try one of these... I think they are reasonably light weight & keeps the bugs away!
https://www.amazon.com/Tailgaterz-43...ened+in+gazebo
FAIRtax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper